Ed Team

Response to Ginny Cain - Proposal #68

Filed By Ed Team | April 23, 2005 2:57 AM | comments

Filed in: Marriage Equality, Politics
Tags:

The following is an email I sent to Virginia "Ginny" Cain, who is the councillor for District 5 on the City-County Council of Indianapolis and Marion County. The email is a followup to her response after I urged her to support Proposal #68-2005. This proposal would add sexual orientation and gender identity to Indianapolis' Human Rights Ordinance.
Ginny -

Thank you for your response; however, I could absolutely not disagree with you more regarding the "evidence" you use to support your claims.

Homosexuality is no more an addiction to a sexual behavior than heterosexuality is...in fact they are exactly identical except for the triviality of the other person's gender.[*] In addition, I have looked into Exodus International's work and do not find them to be a reputable organization. In fact, their "research"and "statistics" are greatly at odds with the work and findings of the American Psychological Association [1][2][3][4] and American Psychiatric Association [1][2].

I don't find homosexuality to be any more inherently "unhealthy" than heterosexuality. I believe that your concerns regarding the "healthiness" of a person's sexuality is reliant upon the individual themselves. Hence, I fail to see the relevance of the last sentence in your second paragraph. A class of people's life span is not an indication of anything...it is well known that males have a shorter life span than females, and singles (regardless of their sexuality) have a shorter life span than married individuals. This does not make males, singles, or gays any more "unhealthy" than females, couples, straights, or bisexuals. I would also like to point out that this could also be due in large part to the lack of healthcare provided to homosexuals. The majority of Americans and Hoosiers receive their insurance through their jobs; however, they are not protected from being fired from these jobs. We are trying to remedy this predicament by encouraging the passage of Proposal #68. If the citizens of Indianapolis can be protected from losing their careers for the simple fact that they are gay, bisexual, or transgender, then perhaps the improved healthcare they will have access to can help them improve their health.

Your concern for members of the community contracting HIV/AIDS is also due in large part to individual behavior and not that of a class of people. In fact, I personally find that a much larger percentage of my straight friends practice unsafe promiscuous sex than do my gay friends. Again, the stereotype that gays are somehow more "unsafe" than straights is a gross generalization which is unfounded.[*]

I would also like to point out that the "serious bouts of depression and even suicide" is probably accurate, but not due to homosexuality. [*] Rather, I would argue that the depression and suicide is due in large part to the rejection and persecution faced from intolerant family, "friends", and church members...the individuals who are supposed to be the most supporting and accepting in an individual's life. [*]

I will not comment much on your Biblical arguments except to say that as a fellow Christian, I find it deplorable that you are using your position on the City-County Council to force your beliefs on your fellow citizens. I too am a Christian; however, I recognize that a large percentage of my neighbors are not and that it is unfair to use a position of mine to force my religion upon them. I do not understand how you can view your actions as ethical, or even constitutional, by using your position in government to further your Christian beliefs.

I realize that I will most likely not change your mind prior to voting on Proposal #68; however, if you would like to continue this discussion I would be more than happy to continue emailing with you or perhaps we could even meet for coffee.

Sincerely,
Seth R.. Kreigh

-----Original Message-----
From: CainforCouncil@aol.com [mailto:CainforCouncil@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 4:51 PM
To: Kreigh, Seth
Subject: Re: Proposal #68

It is never helpful to condone and justify someone's unhealthy chosen addiction.
Homosexuality is an addiction to unhealthy sexual behavior.
It can be overcome with proper treatment. Check out Exodus International for confirmation of this.

Homosexuality is very unhealthy.
Homosexuals have a shorter life span, are more likely to contract HIV/AIDS, experience serious bouts of depression and even suicide.

The Bible is clear that sex was created and intended within the confines of heterosexual marriage.
It is meant to mirror our relationship to our Creator.
Who would want to pervert that? Satan...the author of sin.
Jesus came to overcome sin's power over us so that we can live and live abundantly! He came to rescue us...not condemn us. Thus, we need to help those who are entrapped in any kind of unhealthy lifestyle.

I will never support something that is meant for destruction of human beings and our civilization.

Sincerely,
Ginny Cain
CCC - Dist. 5

AUTHOR: Bil Browning

DATE: 4/23/2005 09:17:35 AM

What a great retort, Seth. This woman needs to lose her next election - that's for sure!

AUTHOR: Sarah Battista

DATE: 4/27/2005 09:05:22 AM

Virginia Cain will never listen to a well put-together argument. At the council meeting on Monday evening, she honestly acted more like a kid who sits at the back of the classroom in order to ignore the teacher than someone who is upholding her civil duties. During Jackie Nytes' speech regarding Prop68, she and another council member were talking and she spent a lot of time giggling. She was very quick to respond to the generic "please support the proposition" emails that many of us sent. She sent inflammatory responses degrading homosexuality as a sexual addiction and the like. Many of us (myself included) responded again with long, thoughtful emails countering her arguments. I never got a response and I dont know if anyone else did. As she said to several people, she "will always discriminate." Discrimination itself isn't based on logic or facts but on inflammatory accusations that degrade the discriminated group of people and make them less worthy people than the discriminating person.The scary part is that she is a leader and that she is a mother. She's probably doing her best right now to raise more hateful Hoosiers. We do need to get her out of office. We need to make sure that the average straight Christian in Indiana knows the truth. At the moment, I sincerely believe that they have no real choice but to believe what people like Ms Cain and Advance America's leaders are telling them. They have no information to counter their message. Most of them probably believe they have never met a gay person. We need to spread information. We need to make things personal. We need to be out and talking. How can you believe that gays are evil and ruining society when your friend at work seems so normal and has such a nice family? Christianity has spread across the globe from the humble origins of 13 random guys wandering around talking to people.

AUTHOR: mark Q

DATE: 5/06/2005 08:31:07 PM

every once in a while i allow myself to be lulled into this false sense that i live in a tolerant society that has no more of problem with my sexuality and lifestyle than i do. i can walk down the street holding my kids' hands, side by side with my boyfriend, and all is right with the world. it's usually about then, when i am feeling the most happy and content, that the ginny cain's of the world pop up out of nowhere. they are there to remind me that, despite the fact that we, the human race, have come a long way in the past twenty years or so, we are really only a few moments in history from puritanical witch burnings. i get this uneasy feeling that i am being scrutinized in a " hey, why aren't you freaks in a concentration camp" sort of way, and try to just keep walking head held high like nothing is there. i just ball up my fists ready for the riot to start. luckily it hasn't come, but ginny cain and her ilk would love to beat the war drum to make it happen. every faction clamors to find people just as fucked up as they are to back their claims that homosexuals are the scourge of the world. manifest destiny has always been an ugly thing. if ya ain't propogatin' fer jesus- there's no use fer ya. if jesus is the real thing and comes back, i hope he levels these sanctimonious assholes with a " let he who is without sin ..."

Chris Beach | December 6, 2005 1:50 PM

I was rapped as a child of nine by a homosexual. The fact that many gays support
NAMBLA and sick perverts is
enough for meto tell that you perverts only want force
sick, perverted ways on society. Perverts like you will not change our minds
about you.
I suppose I will be slammed
for my remarks and I should
become gay like rest of you perverts. The only rights your only interested is spreading and forcing others to accept your perversion.