Jerame Davis

Filed By Jerame Davis | May 08, 2006 10:47 PM | comments

Filed in: Fundie Watch, Media
Tags:

So-called moderate Republicans make me crazy.

The Republican party has repeatedly sent the message, "We don't want you here!" to these moderates time and again. The ouster of Bob Garton is just the latest example of the Republican party's witch hunt for anyone not toeing the "God, Guns, and Gays" party line.

Yet, time and again, apologists make excuses for reasons to support Republican moderates. What they neglect to realize is that even if we elect a few moderates here or there, the establishment is still there to control the agenda. Electing moderate Republicans just keeps the right-wing in power.

First, we need to get the Republicans out of power. That means that every single person who disagrees with this conservative Christian takeover should be voting for Democrats. Period. To hell with replacing them with moderates until we have some form of opposition to the steamrolling of our rights and attacks on our families.

Once we regain some balance to the halls of power both in Indiana and on a national level we can talk about reforming the Republican party...But the party is going to continue down it's power drunken path until we put a stop to it...And the best and only way to make that happen NOW is to vote for Democrats in 2006 in every election from top to bottom. Is there truly a single "Republican friend" to the LGBT community on the ballot this year?

Until this strategy proves disastrous to the party and to the evil sons-of-bitches going along with it, the vast majority of Republicans are going to let the wingnuts rule.

The continued excommunication of moderates from all levels of the Republican party do not indicate that a "change from within" strategy is ready to blossom. Instead, it's time to hand them a resounding defeat on all levels across the state and country. We have to turn the Indiana House and the US House back to Democratic control. We have to wrest control from the lunatic fringe.

We won't do that if we just put in more Republicans.

Quit apologizing and start realizing. It's going to take a cycle of at least 4 possibly 6 to 8 years to truly expunge the party of the radicals. We don't have that kind of time! LGBT families are under constant attack. Our national treasures are being depleted by war and environmental pillage. Our rights as citizens are being trampled every single day. Are you willing to wait 4, 6, or 8 years to start undoing the damage these bastards have caused?

I'm not. I'll be working for one goal this year...Reestablishing a true opposition party and balance of power to our government. The only way to get there is by voting for Democrats and eschewing the excuses being made for the Republican party.

Isn't it time to stop making excuses and start making change?

Recent Entries Filed under Fundie Watch:

About time for some common sense here, thanks Jerame. Speaking from the perspective of a campaigner, it's scary how little help GLBT-friendly politicians get from the community during elections. We can start by showing that we're willing to stand up to the flogger and supporting his Democratic opponent, Terry Coriden (http://www.coridenforsenate.com). Volunteers from Indianapolis (Columbus isn't that far away!) and the district would put the new Senator Coriden on notice that the GLBT community is there and expects to be included in the Democratic coalition.

We point to our engagement with Republican "moderates" (hard to say that straight these days) and sometimes it can work. The addition of transgendered residents of Bloomington and Indianapolis came after LOCAL elected Republicans co-sponsored action. On the state level, though, there's very, very little to claim as our own. Yes, I've read the posts on Garton.

Also critical to supporting a new Democratic majority in the Indiana General Assembly is GLBT folks getting involved outside Indianapolis. Those seats are going to come out of Northern and Southern Indiana, places unfamiliar and (dare I say it) scary to many GLBT residents of Indianapolis. We're sorry that we don't have Talbott's for the after-canvassing party, but we do have realistic chances to pick up the 3 seats we need to put Pat Bauer back in the Speaker's chair. I'm not sure how much hope I hold out for increased GLBT involvement in these races, but an effort like that underway in Oregon (http://www.voteequality.com) this year would be my goal. I'd wager that if an Indiana PAC of this variety formed and evaluated candidates based on gay issues (position on Gay Marriage amendment, hate crimes, anti-discrimination, etc.) that they'd wind up endorsing Democrats (just like in Oregon).

Terry Lee | May 9, 2006 8:24 AM

This is Indiana and those of us in Hamilton County (Republican Land) really have no voice in elections except that of the leading party. In the past, I have never identified myself as either Rep or Dem, I have always voted for the person best suited for the job. In the case of doubt I voted Dem. I do disagree with Democrat all or nothing idea. It's going to take those of an "open-mindedness" to change this situation. There will always be Republicans and Democrats, the day that changes in the day the earth becomes a ball of fire. There are open-minded rep as well as closed-minded dem. Look at southern Indiana dems.
In Hamilton County, my partner and I have "never" and I do mean never had a problem with the leading party. Neither has any of our friends had any problems.
Educated and informed republicans can make a diffference to benefit all.
Now certainly We live in our own special world up here. I mean how many counties in Indiana elected a gay republican in the primarys. I think when we close our minds to republican they close their minds. That's why I don't mind when the Christian Conservatives start voicing their opinion, all they do is show how un-educated they are. Don't close your mind to being different, embrace it.
Well, anyway, thanks for my rosy-colored rambling.

I think that the more the Rebublicans narrow their focus and become regimented fundies, the more moderates are going to become more unhappy and leave. In the 1980s Reagan was a radical conservative... but Reagan Republicans have nothing in common with the Bush, DeLay, Bosma clan. Let the Republicans alienate their long-term supporters and they'll dig their own graves.

However, there's a second problem as I see it. The "opposition party" doesn't exist anymore. If the DNC has a platform, I don't know what it is these days. They don't campain on anything except the "I hate Bush" and the "I'm not them" mantras that I'm, quite frankly, sick of hearing. They're afraid to unite and speak out against the war, they're afraid to speak out against immigration reform, they're afraid to speak out about energy prices, they're afraid to speak out against lobbying reform, they're afraid to speak out in support of gay rights. What is the Democratic platform?

I've always leaned on the Democratic side and have voted for Dems about 90% of the time, but now, I'm seriously thinking about going third party. The Democratic party is in pathetic need of an overhaul.

"...evil sons-of-bitches..."

Can we stop with the name-calling from both sides of the political aisle? All the name-calling does is further polarize the discussion.

I do understand your frustrations. As someone who can't indentify with Democrats or Republicans, I feel left out of the process entirely. When I hear people accusing the other side of "evil", all it does is make me roll my eyes and distance myself further from the process.

I have never voted straight ticket and probably never will. I see great value in the democratic Party-- but have also had good friends who are moderate Republicans where it counts-- LOCALLY. It was Republican city council members and county commissioners who supported Lafayette/ Tippecanoe County's ordinances including sexual orientation. And to to those same people we will be going to add gender identity.

When they get into the General Assembly, the discipline of Party breaks any rationality of voting for moderates. They will be forced to vote a party line on nearly every subject.
This is why I am urging EVERYONE to vote Democratic for the House of Representatives -- on both state and federal levels.

NO Government can be sustained long without opposition voices. And now, with both the state and federal government firmly in the hands of the Reps.. they can do as they please and break the law at will.

Jerame Davis | May 9, 2006 11:29 AM

I like the diversity of opinion coming back in to me from this post.

As for a rosy outlook on things...Sorry. Local elections are one thing...Scott Keller is a great Republican city councilor for Indianapolis. In fact, I'll likely be moving to his district this year.

But municipal elections aren't being discussed right now. The city races happen on odd years. Right now, there is but one goal...Regaining some form of opposition to the right wing.

I still see the only way to do that as throwing the bums out on their bums. It's time for change...And we need that change to be big, fast, and decisive. The only way to do that with any kind of power is to vote Democrat. Send a message. Make your voice heard. Show the radicals that you won't tolerate the vilification of your family and friends.

Jerame Davis | May 9, 2006 11:47 AM

Oh...

Name-calling. What the right wing is doing to our country IS evil. The Republicans in the General Assembly are attacking our families and doing their best to take away the few rights we've been able to muster over the past few years.

The Congressional Republicans have allowed:
An illegal war to continue for 3 years
A national debt of unfathomed proportions that will burden our grandkids
A corrupt administration to continue it's policies of personal destruction - even if it means compromising national security in the process
A proven liar, cheat, and war criminal (which one you may ask) to remain in the White House
The torture of prisoners
The politicization of a dying woman
Multiple attempts to ban marriage equality
Their leaders to be bought and paid for by lobbyist and rapscallions
Hookergate
Illegal spying and wiretapping

Seriously, do I need to go on? Evil, corrupt, and unworthy of public office. There is no other way to describe the current spate of Republican hard-liners. It has to stop.

There is one way to stop it and that's to put another party in power. The Republicans had their chance at one part rule and they squandered it. Worse, they went drunk with power and overplayed their hand. Now we'll all be suffering for it for years to come.

If you like perpetual war, unfathomable debt, secret police, and constant attacks on everything from a woman's choice to your right to love whomever you choose, vote for Republicans.

If you're looking to put some sanity back into our political leadership, vote for Democrats.

It's a pretty clear and compelling choice if you ask me.

Oh, and they deserve much worse names than "evil sons-of-bitches" for what they've already done.

Jerame,
Thanks for proving my point.

I think it's worth pointing out that there are "evil sons-of-bitches" on both sides of the aisle. That's just a political reality. Politics and power draw not only the civic-minded but the power hungry. As I see it, the problem is that the power-drunk are in charge of the Republican party. They've been pushed so far to the far right that they can no longer govern effectively. The don't govern based on what's good for the average American - they pander to the mega corporations and the religious right.

I agree with Jay that a lot of the time I feel left out of both parties - Dems and Pubs. The Dems sure haven't had an articulate strategy lately to ensure my civil rights, ending the war in Iraq or returning the economy to it's former boom state. But not engaging doesn't help improve anything - it's the equivalent of sticking your head in the ground and hoping it all goes away... We have to be engaged. We have to try to put progressive candidates in office if we want our agenda of a better environment, civil rights for all and prosperity for all Americans (as vs the already wealthy) to succeed.

And we have to throw out the "evil sons-of-bitchs" in the Democratic party too. No matter what party they belong to, politicians who don't have the best interests of the American people at heart have got to go. It's time we stopped selling our country out to those lining the pockets of our politicians while trampling our rights and liberties.

Some food for thought:

May 09, 2006

Poll: Federal Marriage Amendment not a priority for Americans

Although senators Bill Frist and Rick Santorum have vowed to bring the Federal Marriage Amendment to a Senate vote the first week of June, a new poll shows that Americans don't think the issue should be a priority. The poll, conducted by Peter D. Hart Research Associates for the Human Rights Campaign, shows that an amendment outlawing same-sex marriage ranks last on a list of priorities for Congress, after such issues as affordable health care, Iraq, new ethics and lobbying laws, and even an amendment banning flag burning.

"The Federal Marriage Amendment does not rank on the list of voters' priorities anywhere near where one might expect," Samantha Smoot, political director for HRC, said at a press conference Monday. "As far as it's a political ploy, it doesn't seem so far to be distracting the American public."

The poll also showed that regardless of how respondents felt about same-sex marriage, 63% of them said they have strong or some concerns about amending the Constitution over the issue. And although the U.S. Catholic Church has recently stepped up its support for the Federal Marriage Amendment, initiating a write-in postcard campaign for its parishioners, 69% of Catholic respondents said they were concerned about the amendment.

And while 53% of respondents favor banning same-sex marriage, only 43% favor banning both marriage and civil unions for gay couples, which the proposed amendment would do. The survey showed that support for civil unions has grown by four percentage points since 2004 to 40%, while support for marriage equality declined two points to 25%.

The survey polled 802 registered voters nationwide in April. It has a margin of error of 3.5%. (The Advocate)

Tracy Elliott | May 9, 2006 10:50 PM

Jeremy, I understand your anger (and share it) but no football team has ever won by ceding half the field. Further, though Democrats might be far better than Republicans, many are only our friends if and when it benefits them. The most "gay-friendly" president we've ever had gave us "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and DOMA. We've got to play the entire field.

Marla R. Stevens | May 10, 2006 3:02 AM

I agree with Tracy with a few caveats:
1) As others have pointed out, sometimes there's a "home team" that you root for -- in this case, the Indiana House Dems -- and sometimes you root for the best players, no matter what the team. And sometimes the real game is the pre-game scrimmage where you can invest in the future by supporting the best player for you even though the whole game is played by people on a team you might not otherwise support.
2) There are not just two teams. Sometimes investing in a third one makes sense.
3) There are many divisions and strategy that's best in one might not be a good one in another.
4) While you can do well on an unfair playing field if you have the skills, resources, and stomach to play dirtier than your opponents, fair playing fields are generally better for those who seek justice. (See Sheila Kennedy's comment on Chris Douglas' Alexander post.)