The Indiana State Senate has passed SJR-7, the proposed amendment to the constitution that would not only outlaw same-sex marriage, but would also strip all unmarried couples of hospital visitation rights, inheritance rights, domestic partner benefits, civil unions and domestic violence protections (among other things!).
The vote was 39 in favor and 10 against. Sam Smith did not vote and was excused today (He wasn't at the Senate for the vote.)
More details to follow.
UPDATE 5:04pm: I would encourage everyone to e-mail thank you letters to those brave Senators who stood up and voted in favor of equality. The Senators who voted against SJR-7 include:
- Anita Bowser (D-Michigan City) S8@in.gov
- Jean Breaux (D-Indianapolis) S34@in.gov
- John Broden (D-South Bend) S10@in.gov
- Sue Errington (D-Muncie) S26@in.gov
- Glenn Howard (D-Indianapolis) S33@in.gov
- Tim Lanane (D-Anderson) S25@in.gov
- Earline Rogers (D-Gary) S3@in.gov
- Vi Simpson (D-Bloomington) S40@in.gov
- Connie Sipes (D-New Albany) S46@in.gov
- Karen Tallian (D-Portage) S4@in.gov