Westboro Baptist "Church" odds and ends
- Well, you've probably heard by now that our good friends at the Phelps Klan have decided to protest the funerals of the Virginia Tech victims. This is one of those, you've gotta be kidding me moments. They have been protesting funerals since 1991, and then it was mostly people who died of AIDS. They also protested Matthew Shepard's funeral. But after the war started, they turned from protesting at the funerals of people that America doesn't like to much (gays) to protesting at the funerals of people that most Americans adore, the troops. With their "THANK GOD FOR IED'S" posters in hand, they have single-handedly lost any and all chances of getting their message of hatred across. It's almost as if they're helping us and our allies out, so it makes me think that they could be some sort of avant-garde performance art troop. But even avant-garde performance art troops are mainstream enough not to protest funerals.
- CBS has a good story up with quotations from Shirley Phelps-Roper and her planned Virginia Tech protest. Just check out her theological musings:
"The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants," Phelps-Roper said. "You don't need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell." Because no one in the Bible who God liked died unjustly. Nope, can't think of a single one.
"[Cho] is in hell," Phelps-Roper said. "But he was also fulfilling the word of God." Ummmm, yeah. That makes a boatload of sense.
- Bilerico got linked to by their famous godhatesfags.com website (I ain't linking to them). They "responded" to my post, "Fred Phelps does Sweden", by saying:
'Yes - but we don't have to be a fly on the wall. Look at the fit they throw over some words, and you say they have no authority?' I don't understand it either - are they saying that Sweden's royal family isn't just a figure-head? But that's all they wrote.
- We can also tell from the Google Analytics here at Bilerico that the average visitor from godhatesfags.com had almost 2.5 times as many pageviews as the average Bilerico reader. In fact, they're far and away the most intent readers anyone's sending to our humble blog. It's almost as if they're obsessed with the gays....
- Are they possibly the most honest members of the religious right? I mean, they're a bit wacky, but everyone who's over there kinda is. Considering how Robertson, Falwell, and others think that 9/11 was God's punishment for the US being too liberal, and how they think having sex outside marriage is a grave sin and 95% of Americans have done so, and how they say America's losing the Culture Wars, and how they're obsessed with and hate queer people, why aren't they publicly supporting the Phelps Klan? It seems to me like Fred Phelps is Jerry Falwell without the money or political power, or Paul Cameron without the pseudo-science, or Pat Robertson without the charisma. And all three of them without the common sense.
- Get a load of the way Shirley responds to a letter sent to her by a concerned David:
David - you dummy - it is time for you to not talk.WWJD? Well, definitely not that!
Recent Entries Filed under Fundie Watch: