Alex Blaze

Phelps klan will march in Lynchburg

Filed By Alex Blaze | May 16, 2007 11:08 AM | comments

Filed in: Fundie Watch, Media
Tags: Jerry Falwell, Sodomite Zeitgeist, Westboro Baptist Church

Well, when the Westpboro Baptist Church says that someone's going to burn in hell, you can't say that they don't follow through.

The WBC will be protesting Falwell's death. From their press release:

WBC to picket the funeral of Rev. Jerry Falwell - at Thomas Road Baptist Church, Lynchburg, Virginia - in religious protest and warning: "God is not mocked!" Gal. 6:7. God Hates Fags! & Fag-Enablers! Ergo, God hates Jerry Falwell, Billy Graham, Pat Robertson, and all such Arminian heretic preachers - from the fundamentalist evangelicals to openly gay Episcopalians and pedophile Catholics - all of whom have created the Satanic Sodomite Zeitgeist wherein America has irreversibly gone the way of Sodom.

There is little doubt that Falwell split Hell wide open the instant he died. The evidence is compelling, overwhelming, and irrefragable. To wit:

1. Falwell was a true Calvinistic Baptist when he was a young preacher in Springfield Missouri; and sold his soul to Free-Willism (Arminianism) for lucre.

2. Falwell bitterly and viciously attacked WBC because of WBC's faithful Bible preaching - thereby committing the unpardonable sin - otherwise known as the sin gainst the Holy Ghost.

3. Falwell warmly praised Christ-rejecting Jews, pedophile-condoning Catholics, money-grubbing compromisers, practicing fags like Mel White, and backsliders like Billy Graham and Robert Schuler, Etc. All for lucre - making him guilty of their sins.

I asked before who they get to do their signs, now I'm wondering who's doing their copy editing.

While I'm not God and therefore unable to actually condemn people to Hell, nor do I have the arrogance of the WBC to pretend like I know what actually happens to individual people after death, I wouldn't really say that Falwell was part of the "Sodomite Zeitgeist". I would hope that he wasn't responsible for creating any zeitgeist, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't behind the sodomite one.

Recent Entries Filed under Fundie Watch:

Marla R. Stevens | May 16, 2007 12:47 PM

My wife says that, if she had known that Jerry was going to be held accountable for our sins, she'd have sinned a whole lot more!

Karma transference -- hmmmmm...

Jen Jorczak | May 16, 2007 1:46 PM

Falwell was definitely responsible for the "religious right as political power which totally co-opted the Republican party" zeitgeist, no question. But as often as that zeitgeist is at odds with the Sodomite Zeitgeist (aka, "the homosexual agenda"), I am truly surprised to see the Phelps Klan going after Falwell.

Just when you thought ol' Fred couldn't get any crazier...

Don Sherfick | May 16, 2007 4:08 PM

I'm trying to think of Phelps and Company protesting at the funeral of Jerry Falwell in terms of the old maxim "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". And getting sick.

"I'm thinking I like the expression "sodomite zeitgeist" better than "homosexual agenda". I think it's time we changed over."
I'm really digging that too. I'll have to make that a part of my vocabulary! *starts laughing*
Don Sherfick | May 16, 2007 5:08 PM

My partner and I live somewhere zleightly south of Geist; does that make us "zleightgeist sodomites"?

A. J. Lopp | May 16, 2007 6:15 PM

"Sodomite zeitgeist" ... I love it!

Makes it sound like we've all been living in a secret underground commune ever since the end of World War II ... never noticing that the Third Reich and the Wiemar Republic were two extremes near opposite poles of the social spectrum ... and waiting patiently for our chance to emerge again and wreck havoc all over the globe once more ...

Oh, if only we had it that together! ... Instead, we can't agree amongst ourselves whether to vote for Sanjaya or whether we should fly into orbit when a non-member of the zeitgeist refers to us as "queer"!!

But we can all agree (I hope) that a crab-asparagus omelette is better topped with sour cream, chives and a sprig of dill than with a slice of cheddar and several slices of black olive --- even if the black olive slices have been artfully arranged, just like in the photo in the last issue of Conde Nast.

Ellen Andersen | May 16, 2007 7:15 PM

I'm considering starting a fan club for Phelps, if only because every single time WBC makes a statement, it makes itself look more and more ridiculous. And the more the picture of anti-gay activism looks like WBC, the more people will realize how absurd it all is. All hail Fred Phelps. Because with enemies like that, who needs friends?

Lynn David | May 17, 2007 2:34 AM

This could be interesting. The law may reference funerals of soldiers but not that of the common man. The Phelps crew may be able to get uncomforatably close. It's just be neat to see the Falwellites go after the Phelpses.

I would say this is the funniest thing I've ever heard but that might win me a ticket to Hell, and I've already spent enough time with Falwell.

No, but if you lived slightly zouth of Sodom and studied theology extensively, you might qualify as "geistliche Sodomites".