, they provide 15 "things to consider." Of course, they are primarily hoping that their followers don't consider them too closely or they'll realize what a pile of bullshit these are...
If enacted this bill will radically expand the police power of the Federal Government, authorizing Federal police to train, assist and direct local law enforcement officers, and to investigate, prosecute and punish those suspected of violent crimes against persons who practice homosexuality or other unusual sexual practices, exacting punishments above and beyond what their crimes would otherwise merit if bias is deemed to have influenced their criminal act. Efforts to add protection for other groups to the bill, e.g., senior citizens, pregnant women, children, the unborn, court witnesses, military servicemen and women, and others perhaps more vulnerable, were rejected.
Things to consider:
1. This bill is an effort to control the thoughts of the American people and to require them to affirm homosexuality as a practice worthy of special status.
2. It grants special protection to those who choose certains unothodox brands of sexual practice, essentially awarding them more justice and giving less justice to those who do not choose such sexual practices. This is the exact opposite of "equal justice under the law." Homosexuals are favored over the young, the elderly, the indigent, the rich, the strong, the weak, and all who do not practice homosexuality.
3. It gives special protection to persons, not on the basis of their color, ethnicity, religion or other unchangeable characteristics, but on the basis of their preferred sexual practices. It is thus outrageously discriminatory.
4. Legalization of private sodomy was imposed upon our nation by unelected judges. Elected lawmakers are moving to enact this unconscionable bill.
5. Heavy penalties will be exacted against persons because of their beliefs, not actions.
6. This is an effort to forcibly control the thoughts of the American people.
7. It will result in investigations, criminal charges, criminal convictions, fines and imprisonment of persons because of their thoughts, religious faith or speech, over and above punishment their criminal acts may deserve.
8. An assault against the liberties of one American is an assault against all Americans.
9. This law makes federal government agents, an arm of the homosexual movement to force the homosexual agenda upon the American people.
10. In jurisdictions where such laws have been enacted, they have been used not only to punish those who commit violent acts, but those who "incite" such acts by their public disapproval of homosexuality - pastors, evangelists, and pro-family activists who speak the truth of Scripture. With time, pastors and evangelists will become accessories to crimes because they preach the truth about homosexual behavior.
11. The legal elevation of persons who practice homosexuality (and other deviant sex condemned by Scripture) spells the end of true religious liberty in America.
12. Violence against any person at any time for any reason is wrong. But penalizing politically incorrect, or religiously incorrect thought is wrong. Thomas Jefferson wrote "I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
13. Those who best understand the inner workings of this Congress are not optimistic about the bill's defeat in either house.
14. President Bush has given no signal that he will veto this bill if it passes.
15. Many Christians are confused and do not understand the seriousness, the implications or consequences of this bill.
If God-fearing Americans do not pray and act quickly, and a majority of lawmakers votes to enact this bill, our nation will cross a new threshold of official belligerence against persons who hold to the tenants of Christian faith, who believe homosexual acts are deviant, morally wrong and harmful to society.