Alex Blaze

Project Implicit

Filed By Alex Blaze | June 07, 2007 9:44 PM | comments

Filed in: Site News
Tags: Oprah, Project Implicit, racism

I was watching Oprah the other day, and she was plugging this test. It presents images and words to you, and you have to sort them into "African American", "European American", "good", and "bad", and it tests how easily you make the connection between "African American" with "good" and "bad" and the same with "European American". It's interesting to think about racism as occurring on a level that we might not be aware of. I'm sure that's where a lot of prejudice occurs, not just against Blacks but many minorities, in that moment before we've had time to even think about the other person, where we're already sizing somebody else up. This is why when people say "I don't see race" or "I'm not racist, but...", I get a bit irked - racism's not just cross-burning and saying the n-word, it's every action that doesn't give people a fair chance because of their race.

Anyway, it's interesting to see what it says about you. The guy who developed it said on Oprah you can't cheat it because it measures the ease with which you make associations, so even if you slow down to make sure you get every one of them right, it still measures the time it took to make each association. Although I did get "undefined", and I don't know what that means.

Recent Entries Filed under Site News:

Eric Georgantes | June 7, 2007 10:33 PM

I've taken several of the Project Implicit tests before. I apparently have a "Slight automatic preference for White people compared to Black people," and a "Slight automatic preference for Gay people compared to Straight people."

I tried getting a family member to take the test, but she didn't understand the test. She tried to go slow and get every single one right, not realizing that the point was to get into her unconscious by reading her mistakes.

Eric~ How do you access other tests?

Eric Georgantes | June 8, 2007 12:21 AM

It took me awhile to find it again.

1. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/
2. Click "Demonstration"
3. Click "Go to the Demonstration Tests"
4. Click "I wish to proceed"
5. Choose a test

And I apparently have a moderate automatic preference for skinny people and prefer Arab Muslims over "other people." I find the Arab Muslim one especially puzzling, as I don't even know any Arab Muslims personally. Maybe I have an unconscious dislike towards the people I know? =)

Eric Georgantes | June 8, 2007 12:23 AM

Odd.

My comment in which I explained how isn't appearing.

Am I not able to post links?

If they contain a link they have to be approved. And I always have to have my comments approved b/c my computer doesn't save my ID on it.

Eric Georgantes | June 8, 2007 12:26 AM

And lo, it appeared.

Thank you, magical blogging gods.

Eric, Remember our SPAM-bot attack? Alex is correct, unfortunately if you leave a link in your comment it is automatically held for moderation - even if you're just leaving your own blog's URL as part of your signature. (The spammers try to leave fake comments like that all the time.)

One work around - Sign in with TypeKey. Click the "Sign-In" link and create an account. It will allow you to be verified by our blog software. After you comment for the 1st time with a TypeKey account, I can mark you as a "trusted commentor" and your comments won't get held anymore. When you come back to the site the first time, make sure you're logged in with TK and then click the "Remember me" option. You'll never have to sign in again or get held for moderation.

Because, really, Alex isn't a blogging god. He just plays one on the intertubes. *grins*

Now - the real comment! I've taken a few of these tests too and it's always surprising how much of a bias you actually have without knowing it. I also have a "slight preference towards gay people." Imagine.

Eric Georgantes | June 8, 2007 4:17 PM

I found it extremely odd that I liked gay people more. I had only known one gay person in any intimacy - e.g. classroom setting - and I didn't particularly like him - before coming out this year (late January, to be more exact), and I don't believe I've been inundated by "pro-gay" messages much of my life.

Maybe I'm just really narcissistic. =)

A. J. Lopp | June 8, 2007 8:00 PM

I really don't want to take this test ... it might indicate my strong preference for assholes.

Eric Georgantes | June 9, 2007 12:05 AM

I'm willing to bet that you can already vouch for that...