You might think I'm going to post about the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), but I'm not. I would like to discuss the infamous Northwestern professor, Michael J. Bailey and his book, "The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism". A few of the more outrageous claims Bailey has made in the book is:
1. "Prostitution is the single most common occupation that homosexual transsexuals in our study admitted to.”
2. "The more resourceful and attractive transsexual prostitutes are call girls.”
3. "Nearly all the homosexual transsexuals I know work as escorts after they have their surgery.”
4. "As for shoplifting, homosexual transsexuals are not especially well suited as much as especially motivated. For many, their taste in clothing is much more expensive than their income allows.”
More outrageous claims after the jump...
5. "Do they get married? … homosexual transsexuals are not very successful at finding desirable men willing to commit to them.”
6. "When I began writing this book, I had never known a homosexual transsexual who married.”
7. "They wanted to get their surgery (if they had not had it yet) and meet a nice, attractive, and financially stable heterosexual man who would marry them and take care of them … When I was conducting my study of homosexual transsexuals, I routinely asked them if they knew anyone who had realized this dream. No one did.”
8. "Many of the transsexuals we interviewed in the course of this study were more attractive than the average genetic female.”
9. "Gay transsexuals are boy crazy.”
10. "When I have discussed the theory that homosexual transsexuals are a type of gay man, I have met resistance. I was surprised at this, for the idea is neither new nor, it seemed to me, controversial.”
11. "Homosexual transsexuals tend to have a short time horizon, with certain pleasure in the present worth great risks for the future.”
While the transgender community has been outraged by Bailey's book, gays and lesbians have been relatively silent. Some of Professor Bailey's more outragous claims are that true lesbians don't exist:
Whether women describe themselves as straight or lesbian, “Their sexual arousal seems to be relatively indiscriminate - they get aroused by both male and female images,” Dr. Bailey said. “I’m not even sure females have a sexual orientation. But they have sexual preferences. Women are very picky, and most choose to have sex with men.” -J. Michael Bailey - Pas de Deux of Sexuality Is Written in the Genes
or that: bisexuals don't exist:
Although there are clearly men who call themselves “bisexual” and who have sex with both men and women, both scientists and laypeople have long been skeptical that men with bisexual arousal patterns exist. Kurt Freund, who invented penile plethysmography, related that he was never able to find a subset of men who appeared to be bisexual in the lab. Although their data are less scientific, gay men share Freund’s skepticism. They have a saying: “You’re either gay, straight, or lying.” In contrast, many women are bisexual, at least in their sexual arousal patterns. - Straight, Gay, or Lying? Bisexuality Revisited
or that gays have accents:
It’s not news people believe homosexuality and certain speech styles are related. What is news is there seems to be some basis for the belief. VUE Weekly
or that homosexuality is an evolutionary mistake:
I mean, one thing to realize is that evolutionarily, homosexuality is a big mistake. And, I don’t mean anything bad by saying that because lots of good things, that we would like to have more of, would be evolutionary mistakes. People being extremely kind to strangers and giving poor strangers lots of their money, that would be a great thing. But evolutionarily, it would be a terrible mistake. And when I say something would be a big mistake I just mean I don’t see how it would ever evolve. And I don’t see how homosexuality has ever evolved and remained in our population at relatively high rates: 1, 2, 3, 4 percent?! That’s very high for something that has vastly reduced fertility related to it. And I should…uhh…the flip side of when I say it’s an evolutionary mistake certain things that are evolutionarily clearly adaptive include jealousy, selfishness, the uh willingness to commit infidelity, all those things. Those are very evolutionarily adaptive. But, they’re not good, right? So by saying something is an evolutionary mistake or evolutionarily adaptive that’s not a value judgement. That’s just counting number of descendents one leaves. So the hypotheses that people have raised to explain homosexuality have included all kinds of things like population control. That’s a non-starter because nothing can ever be explained at such a group level because you could always have selfish people who would thwart population control and they would, um, they would win the evolutionary race.
- Liberty Should Win: We May Choose Our Children’s Sexual Orientation
The last quote is so outrageous, I'm shocked that the reaction from the GLB community has been rather quiet. Why do you think that is?