Sara Whitman

Bird Diplomacy

Filed By Sara Whitman | May 22, 2008 3:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Living
Tags: bird attacks, Iraq war, robins

For the last few weeks, I have been watching a particular bird- a Robin- fight with himself. Over and over, I watch this bird fling himself into the window reflection- although not very hard- bounce off, flutter a way briefly, only to go for it again.

bird.jpgAnd again. And again.

I asked Jake to make a scary picture. He did.

The bird went to the other window.

I asked Jake to make two more.

Doesn't matter. The bird still sits in the crook of the Japanese maple tree, takes aim, and boom.

I have a few observations about this bird.

For one, the bird is stubborn. It refuses to "lose" to a superior foe. After about an hour of bouncing, he leaves for the day. Does he learn? Nope. The very next day, he comes back, and tries again.

Clearly, he is right. He will win this battle, a battle he is fighting the same way over and over again. It's arrogant and without thought or examination.

The bird has no sense of its pattern and how it might actually bring danger to it. Its repeated attempts at being right have left behind oily stains on the windows not to mention a pile of bird poop under the maple tree. It is easy prey.

I have contemplated a slingshot. The PETA people can feel free to complain but the pile of poop is actually on my new deck and I'm sorry, a plain ol' robin isn't going to win over a brand new deck.

The oblivious disregard for it's own safety because it is going to get that bird one-way or another, is probably linked to natural selection. You know the female robins are all saying, That dumb bastard is still slamming into that window.

We're over here waiting to have some babies and he's just doing the same damn stupid thing, over and over again.

Not to mention Jake's pictures are fairly fierce.

It's almost 3PM. Like clockwork, he's back.

I've had more than one human male see the behavior and say, well, anything to get laid.

That's not it. Not at all. It's about stubborn arrogance. It's about the inability to see past itself or to learn from repeated failure. It's about hopeless dreams of conquest.

Reminds me of a lot of men I know.

It also makes me think of the Iraq war and the ridiculous rhetoric that is spoken about "winning" war that cannot be won and "stabilizing" a region that has been unstable since the dawn of time.

Just as fruitless and pointless as the bird that just did his first daily attack on the window.

Only the cost is so much higher.

Recent Entries Filed under Living:

Male, female or anywhere in between, we all have a tendency to keep trying the same thing over and over without change hoping for a different outcome. As soon as I think "This always happens to me...", I know it's time to rethink what I'm doing!

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | May 22, 2008 11:07 PM

Whatever our crazy actions may be, they come from a deep place inside, that believes somehow this will cause greater happiness.

We just have to unlearn those voices! Thanks Sara..

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | May 23, 2008 12:35 AM

Gosh, that bird brings to mind the antics of people who vote Democratic over and over. And don't seem to notice that the genocide (it's definitely not a war), union busting and bigotry go on and on. A few birds will never figure it out, but I'm willing to bet that the smart ones will after Obama gets elected.

Bill, I know perfectly well who signed the Defense of Marriage Act into law in 1996.

We've never in my memory been given a choice between one candidate who will actualize all our hopes and dreams and another candidate who will give free rein to all our enemies and actualize all our nightmares.

Our only choices have ever been between "better" and "worse."

Smart voters sometimes play the odds. Here in the southern states, "D" used to stand for racism and aristocracy. Now, it stands for less racism and less surrender of rights and agency to the most powerful. That's the best choice we're given. So we settle for voting for less racism and less surrender rather than checking the "R" box and voting (most of the time) for more racism and more aristocracy.

Just because you can only see "better" and "worse" on the ballot doesn't mean "worst" isn't there. It's in every blank square. Opting out is surrender to the worst.

And, if we've learned nothing from the rein of George W. Bush, we've learned this: we have to keep our eyes on the bastards, even the lesser bastards like Pelosi and Reid.

Did somebody think the price of liberty was occasionalvigilence?

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | May 23, 2008 5:50 AM

Oh Rev. Bob,

with the singular exception that I would throw away the entire bible (excepting the 23rd psalm) In you I have found a soul mate.

Meanwhile, we must help Sara clean some of the birdcrap off her porch.

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | May 23, 2008 6:45 AM

Actually, I am sure the bird sees a reflection of itself in your window when the sun is just right in the sky. It assumes that this is a competitor to it's territory. Now, as to whether this bird busts unions, foments genocide or bigotry I would not presume to know! *he he he*

one definition of insanity is the act of doing the same thing over and over while always expecting different result. go figure.

Hey, Robert, dittoes. (oops) The "Rev: is a bit of a giggle. Bought and paid for (praise "Bob"). Total humanist. Part of Psalm 133 ain't that bad: Hineh mah tov, and all that.

Wrt the robin, Sara should adopt another cat.

:-)

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | May 23, 2008 12:10 PM

Oh my God! There is a church of Bob at last? There was once a Bob club I was invited to join, but I kept getting the wrong food order at club meetings!

"Yeah, Bob's food is ready!" I would always get the wrong plate. Oh, Sara's post, how many pussys is she zoned for?

It would seem that you could solve your fowl problem with a pellet gun, and some Tide. I gave up caring what PETA thinks many years ago. I hardly believe robins to be endangered, and if they behave like birdbrains, they deserve what they get.

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | May 23, 2008 1:22 PM

Bob, when you say "Our only choices have ever been between "better" and "worse" I think you're misstating the case. It’s more accurately “worst and worst”. The two parties are fundamentally identical. They're prowar, union busing bigots.

The way to get some action from them and their courts is to abandon the idea that they'll be grateful if we support them. They're from the school of "Slam, Bam, thank you Sam" except they usually forget the 'thank you" bit. They are however amenable to pressure, and the easiest and best way to apply that is through mass action movements with reasonable but cutting edge demands along the lines of:

Immediate and total withdrawal from the Middle East, or

Tax the rich whatever it takes to provide socialized medicine, good housing and good education, or

Impeach Bush and Cheney and convene an international War Crimes Tribunal to consider the genocides against the Iraqi people, or

Extend all normal civil liberties and rights to immigrant workers and compel their bosses to allow them to form unions without the involvement of ICE, or

Pass the original ENDA and the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes bill now, because we need them now, not when it's expedient... and etc.

Electoral politics are a one way street to political disaster and impotence that’s produced decades of war (Korea, Lebanon, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Panama, 9-11 and Iraq and Afghanistan). And bigotry and union busting.

Maybe so, Bill. I meant to say party designations were just shortcuts. And I'd be honored to do anything I can, from unfolding chairs to making phone calls to whatever, about the things you talked about. God forbid I should suggest what to do now or in the meantime. But I've got a fair idea about what I should do now and along the way.

Sorry for talking when I should have listened.

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | May 23, 2008 4:29 PM

Bob, Maybe well get to meet at some big demo in DC demanding and end to the war or a real ENDA, say in 2012.

In the meantime as Uncle Fidel says "Hasta La Victoria Siempre".

Bill, I would like to meet and talk and maybe even listen. Sooner is better. Sooner is pretty much always better. Here I am talking instead of listening again.

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | May 24, 2008 4:40 AM

OOPS, Get the pressure hose, the bird has been back.

thanks, guys, for proving my point

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | May 25, 2008 6:18 AM

Ya know what is weird Sara? Only men have commented. It is as though women believe we are clueless in advance! Doubtless they are right! We do have the market cornered on stubborn arrogance.

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | May 25, 2008 12:23 PM

Pronunciation: (p?'tru-n?"zing, pa'-), [key]
—adj. annoying condescension: a patronizing comment is often accompanied by false self-deprecation and obsequiousness.

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | May 25, 2008 1:28 PM

More bird poop and not a single union buster to clean it up.