The National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force have released a new joint publication, Opening the Door to the Inclusion of Transgender People: The Nine Keys to Making Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Organizations Fully Transgender-Inclusive.
Geared for LGBT organizations of any kind (from communities of faith, to social clubs, to advocacy organizations), this guide covers both practical and big-picture ways that we can all bring our goals of a fully inclusive movement into reality.
I recently received a copy of this great publication and wanted to make sure all of readers heard about this amazing resource. Our community can only succeed if we come together and this guide helps build those bridges. You can download the guide online here.
A brief overview after the jump...
While some of the things in the guide are obvious, it is good to have the ideas mapped out in an approachable manner.
The Nine Key Steps covered in the guide are:
1) Work Towards Full Integration at Every Organizational Level
2) Recruit a Broad Range of Trans People
3) Create a Welcoming Environment
4) Deal with Prejudice
5) Acknowledge Past Mistakes with Trans-Inclusion
6) Have Trans-Inclusive Programming, Services, and Advocacy Positions
7) Understand Transgender Experiences
8) Understand One's Role as an Ally
9) Have Fair Employment Practices
It also includes specific advice for different groups- like political groups, community centers, athletic groups, bars, faith communities, and many others.
I encourage all of our readers to pick up this guide, share it with your organizations and businesses, and help our community move forward together and united.