Bruce Parker

A Thank You Note to Senator Hillary Clinton

Filed By Bruce Parker | June 05, 2008 11:30 AM | comments

Filed in: Living, Politics
Tags: Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Democrat primaries, election 2008, Hillary Rodham Clinton

Hillary,

When I was twelve, I spent a lot of time telling anyone who would listen that you were ranked as one of the 100 most influential lawyers in America before even marrying Bill. You had a career before becoming Bill's wife, and if for any reason you ever decide not to still be his wife, you will continue to be successful.

Your work on the Nixon impeachment, children's rights, and public interest law continues to inspire me. Your early and continued commitment to civil rights and social change is inspiring. You reinforce to me that a commitment to a better world is sustainable and makes a difference. Thank you for that.

I obsessively rambled about how you were a Methodist, while Bill was a more conservative Baptist. This information about your religious beliefs caused my Cousin Brittany and I to go to a few Methodist churches in our hometown as we carried out our Great Church Search (an entirely different story). If it was good enough for you, my guess was it would be good enough for me.

My mother got tired of hearing me talk about you. She was more than a little disturbed when at thirteen I announced to her that I wanted to be you when I grew up. She said, you mean you want to be Bill. I knew then, just like I know now, that you are the smart one. I have always wanted to be the smart one. In that you have been a hero to me.

I have a single mother who struggled to support my brother and I. She worked hard and struggled to make it without a man to take care of her or her sons. I am so grateful that she is still alive to see a woman get as close as you have gotten to being a presidential nominee for a major political party. My mother loves you and probably cried when Obama passed the delegate threshold.

Your career has changed the landscape for women in this country for years to come, in spite of, not because of, media scrutiny of you. You were under a microscope as Bill's wife when he was running, when he was president and when you were running for president. I remember being disgusted as you were forced to develop a style that was more palatable to the American public and to temper yourself. Feminism was put back into its place with the way the media and pundits tried to put you back into yours. Your hair changes in those early years got more attention than your extremely liberal health care plan. Just like my mother and the other strong women in my life, you refused to be put into any box.

I am proud that I supported you. While I don't agree with all of your choices this campaign season, the best I can do is say to keep on fighting for a better world. I have no illusions that this is the end of your career. Great things are ahead.

Finally, if there is a next time, can we pick a better theme song?

Great post Bruce! I campaigned for Hillary and still think she's the #One person for the job! Not only did I campaign for her, but I got to shake her hand and get her autograph (along with Bill's)! I never campaigned for a candidate before but I knew I wanted to work for Hillary. I believe in her vision for America and believe(d) she is the one who can implement it. I'm sorry she didn't make it all the way to the top, but I believe she still will continue to work hard for the people of this country!

Hillary got more votes than any Democrat in the primary's history besides Obama. Congrats to her.

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | June 5, 2008 6:22 PM

I’d like to congratulate Hillary Clinton for her many years serving on the Board of Directors of Wal-Mart, home of ‘Always Lowest Wages”.

And don’t forget her steadfast service to Bill’s Administration when she scurried around at midnight delivering envelopes to Bill (she claims to this day that she doesn’t know what was in them) while he worked feverishly in his last week in the White House pardoning coke dealers and ‘white collar’ frauds. When Bill Clinton says she has “experience” he’s not just whistling Dixie, although it seems to have become his favorite ditty, again.

And what about her rousing paytriotic, foot stomping, flag waving support for Bills murder of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi babies and children and for George’s genocide against Iraqi children and adults. She loyally repeated their lies about WMD’s. I’m sure the dead, Iraqis and GI’s, appreciate all the votes she faithfully cast to fund the genocide. What a dependable Red White and True Blue American!

And who doesn’t remember her pigheaded opposition to same sex marriage, welfare, and socialized medicine. Or her support for deregulation of corporate predators, her attacks on the Bill of Rights and for tax breaks for the rich (and don’t think for a minute that her being rich has anything to do with it).

And finally you have admit that she’s not shy when it comes to exploiting the Bradley Effect – she openly appealed for ‘white’ votes and that’ll make McCain’s racist appeals all the easier.

Hillary Clinton = Margaret Thatcher.

Chris Sanders | June 5, 2008 7:45 PM

As I read Bruce's post, I believe he was speaking personally about why Hillary Clinton has inspired him and his work for many years. Based on what I've read of Bruce's work, I think we should all be glad that he is doing everything he is to make a difference.

Somehow the responses became more about putting nails in the coffin of Clinton's campaign by scoring debating points. I didn't read any attacks on Obama in Bruce's comments. Why on earth are people trying to rewrite someone else's story of inspiration?

I'm baffled that the responses on THIS POST (which would be legitimate discussion points during the primary or even now to someone defending a "take it to the convention" approach) have such a slamming tone.

This doesn't strike me as the way to unity and it doesn't represent the gracious response that Obama himself is giving to the end of Clinton's campaign.

If the next few months are going to be about attacks on anyone who dares to give a tribute to Hillary Clinton, then Obama needs to be saved from his defenders.

Matt Punk | June 5, 2008 8:23 PM

"Hillary,

When I was twelve, I spent a lot of time telling anyone who would listen that you were ranked as one of the 100 most influential lawyers in America before even marrying Bill."

This made me lol so hard! Oh and my biological father is George Washington, he's on the 1$ bill. I am too...that's my eye...

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | June 5, 2008 9:13 PM

I don't even read certain persons as I already know what they will say. Hillary is a complicated and successful person who will do much good for our country. I hope she stays put in the senate and assists in enacting ground breaking legislation that will restore and renew our freedoms.

I know how hard Annette worked for Hillary's campaign and how invested in the campaign Bruce was. What a great way to end dream, Bruce. I'm sure she'll have a lot more to give us.

And Bill? Margaret Thatcher? Uh, no. I don't think that needs dignified any further than that. I agree with you a lot on the "both parties are stupid" position, but that takes it too far.

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | June 5, 2008 11:37 PM

Well Bil, to be precise both Clinton and Thatcher are right centrists. That plays out differently in the UK where political differences are more sharply posed than here but they are the same political animal. (That's not spirited but it you want to see down and dirty Hillary bashing look over the blogsite From the Left.)

What staggers me is the deification of American politicians who are some of the most brutal and corrupt "leaders" in the world. Their mass murders dwarf the brutality of tin pot wanna-be’s like Milosevic, Idi Amin and Hussein. In a just society you wouldn’t walk into the Post Office and find Johnson, Clinton, Bush or Reagan in posed photos on the wall - you’d find them on wanted posters.

They’re ALL guilty of callous indifference for the welfare of American citizens. They have broad bipartisan agreement that GLBT folk are second class citizens, that tolerates cruelty towards immigrant and imported workers and that uses racism and racism and misogyny as a divide and rule tactic. As long as they get rich they don’t care what happens to our standard of living.

So why are they adored? This isn’t the UK where people are compelled to ‘respect’ royally demented inbreeds. The puzzle is solved when you examine what people say about ‘their’ candidate. It’s clear as day that they’re mistakenly projecting their own hopes and ideas on politicians who don’t really give a rat’s ass about them. Plus a lot of people still buy into the silly idea that the government of the Democrats or Republicans can be reformed.

We live in a nation ruled by the wealthy and the bigoted. The sooner demystification sets in the sooner we’ll be able to construct movements and Parties to put an end to the rule by rich bigots. The election of Obama, assuming he doesn’t lose because of the Bradley Effect, will open a lot of eyes.

more than anything, this post was about a personal reflection on the respect Hillary recieves (and she gets a deserves a lot it) from an individual. I don't think it's fair to cut her down in this context.

Bill, Matt, etc - I think some more respect is due. Hillary and Barack are so similar in so many ways with their plans for America that such polar views seem to me to speak volumes about the people commenting, and much less on the actual candidates themselves.

Long live Hillary! OBAMA 2008!

now that's the unity we all CLAIM to want to badly right now....

Bobs Friend | June 7, 2008 9:07 AM

Thank you so much for this -- after all the vindictive glee over Clinton's not getting the nomination it was a blast of fresh air.

Unfortunately, I've been exposed to enough self-righteous malice from Obama supporters to be voting for a third party in November. "Unity" isn't worth the price now and IMO Obama won't be any better than McCain.

radthinker | June 8, 2008 7:16 PM

I too campaigned for Hillary. I was relieved to see Mark Penn exit. I still believe Hillary is the better candidate. She received more votes than anyone, ever, in the history of presidential elections. I am finding it difficult to put aside the sexist and misogynous tone that the MSM perpetrated. However, this egregious behavior was promoted by many of BO supporters. BO, himself engaged in some of this behavior too. Yes, I could point examples. However, I will not, as I am not here trying to convince anyone. I am simply expressing my right to differ.

Also, what the RBC did with the MIchigan votes amounts to hijacking of the "fair reflection" of the will of the people. It is against the rules to take votes that were casted and then give them to someone else. Half-votes? What is that all about? A vote is a vote.

Yes, I believe Hillary should have been allowed to continue. She earned the right to go to the convention. In 1980, Ted Kennedy was 800 delegates behind Carter. Kennedy took it to the convention, and no one told him to exit the race. What has been done to Hillary's candidacy has been difficult to swallow.

I am not a sore loser. I must say,I did not expect that the democratic party would resort to Rovian tactics while shamelessly smearing one of their own.

You want party unity now. There hasn't been any of that for a while. I have been called a cunt, bitch, idiot, and a host of other choice names by BO supporters. Bad strategic plan on their part.

Yes, I am queer, and not racist. In the end, If I don't vote for BO, it will be because of the bias of this Primary. They cannot blame Hillary if he loses. They must blame themselves. They know who they are.

I wish HIllary would've run as an Independent. She would have my vote. I AM ONE OF 18 MILLION.

Thanks for your work on the campaign.
check out PUMA PAC.org