A friendly e-mail to Josh Gillespie of Hoosier Access turned into a conversation on blog rankings and how to measure influence.
Josh referred to the BlogNetNews site that regularly ranks Indiana-based blogs, when he said, "...which mean absolutely nothing, but it's the only real measurement here in Indiana."
Actually, it's not. And the others are much more reliable.
Technorati has the following rankings for the few blogs I put in. You can do others yourself if you'd like. The lower the number, the better the ranking. They are currently tracking 12.8 billion blogs. (All of this is based on your "authority" of how many different blogs have linked to you in the past 6 months. That number is in parentheses after the ranking.) Here's ten blogs I popped in really quick:
- Bilerico Project - 6,016 (Top 10k Club!) (564)
- Blue Indiana - 20,692 (230)
- Hoosier Access - 80,144 (82)
- Masson's Blog - 98,888 - (69)
- Hoosier Pundit - 139,521 (51)
- Hoosier Political Report - 196,406 (37)
- American Values Alliance - 358,049 (20)
- Advance Indiana - 3,324,847 (2) (No ranking at his blogspot URL)
- Veritas Rex - 4,544,252 (0)
- Indiana Barrister - 4,978,471 (0)
Alexa, on the other hand, measures how much traffic you get to your site. That's a completely different horse than how talked about your blog is... Again, the lower the number, the more traffic you get. It measures those ten this way:
- Bilerico Project - 161,935
- Masson's Blog - 1,277,623
- Blue Indiana - 1,654,430
- Hoosier Access - 2,195,833
- Hoosier Political Report - 3,092,943
- Indiana Barrister - 3,385,232
- American Values Alliance - 8,960,660
- Veritas Rex - 18,245,687
- Hoosier Pundit - 19,664,268
- Advance Indiana - 20,412,327 (or 956,591 as his blogspot URL)
Of course, using Bilerico Project as our measurement doesn't seem quite right since it's no longer about Hoosier topics primarily. In fact, most of our Indiana political coverage has moved over here now.
If we switch Bilerico to Bilerico-Indiana, it falls in the lineup at #7 on Technorati - not too shabby for one of the newest local blogs to the lineup. Alexa doesn't separate TBP and B-IN since they're both hosted on bilerico.com. Which means as far as primarily Hoosier blogs go, Blue Indiana ranks highest on Technorati and Masson's Blog gets the most traffic.