Celebrity Gossip Blogger Perez Hilton, better known for dishing the dirt on Hollywood starlets, is using his popular website to get political. In a post yesterday on the hugely popular PerezHilton.com, Perez (who is a native Floridian) urged his readers to educate themselves about and vote no on Amendment 2 in Florida:
It's not just California in a fight for equality!
Perezzer's is a native Floridian and we felt obliged to bring an important issue to the attention of y'all in our home state!
Take a moment to look closely at Amendment 2, which is seeking to write discrimination into law.
More after the jump...
Hilton goes on to list the reasons everyone should Say No 2:
The Orlando Sentinel and 10 other Florida papers urge you to say NO.
Here are 6 good reasons why you should vote NO on 2 too:
1. Taking Away Benefits: Amendment 2 could take away existing benefits from all unmarried Floridians
2. Hurting Seniors. Amendment 2 could force seniors to choose between important benefits like sharing health care and important government benefits.
3. "Gay Marriage" Bait & Switch: Amendment 2 claims to ban "gay marriage" but Florida already has multiple laws banning same-sex marriage
4. Massive Government Intrusion: Amendment 2 puts the government where it doesn't belong - regulating the personal relationships of Floridians.
5. Hiring Expensive Lawyers: Amendment 2 could force unmarried Floridians to hire expensive private lawyers just to protect their basic legal rights.
6. Dramatic Consequences: Amendment 2 could take away job benefits from university employees and be used as a defense to domestic violence - as in other states which passed similar amendments.
Click here to learn more about Amendment 2.
But, regardless of where you stand, be sure you're registered to vote!
Kudos to Perez for helping spread the word against Amendment 2! His website gets millions of hits daily, so his strong stance and message could have a huge impact on the visibility of this campaign!