Sara Whitman

Temporary Change of Address

Filed By Sara Whitman | October 27, 2008 4:30 PM | comments

Filed in: The Movement
Tags: ballot initiatives, gay marriage, lesbian, LGBT, marriage, marriage equality, Prop. 8, queer, same-sex marriage, san francisco

I am leaving for San Francisco tomorrow morning. I will be working on the No on Prop. 8 campaign. I have no idea what I'll be doing until I get there.

I'm excited, nervous, but I am ready to do something, anything, to make a difference. I cannot sit by another day and watch. I have to be active. While the Obama campaign is enormously important right now, I have to go work for my cause, my people.

Not many straight people are willing to take to the phones, streets, for LGBT causes but are willing to work for Obama.

We need to change that but for now, I'll go where I feel I can make the most impact.

My wife said GO. I'm not sure if it's because she cannot stand my nudgy/anxious behavior or because she knows I need to do this. Probably both.

Jeanine will be covering the home front for 8 days- that's a long long time for her. LONG. I'll be blogging from San Francisco, a temporary change of address but back for election day here.

If the world goes to hell, I want to be here with my family. I need to be here with my family.

Recent Entries Filed under The Movement:

Wow, Sara, that is amazing. I think you are wonderful (and have a wonderful family) for being able to just pick up and go and make a difference in the world. Good luck out there and we'll all be thinking of you.

Elisabetta Covini | October 27, 2008 5:14 PM

Brava!
Maybe it's not rational, but I feel that what is going to happen with Prop 8 will have consequences beyond California and the United States. Therefore I would have liked to donate, but I can'i, because - I have taken information -I'm not a US citizen.
I am a supporter of yours for your decision: I'll keep my fingers crossed. Good luck!
Elisabetta - Torino, Italy

Good luck! I'm having a ton of fun working as a full-time volunteer on the campaign in LA. If SF is anything like LA I think you'll be surprised by the number of straight allies who have rolled up their sleeves on this one. No on 8 is a truly inspiring coalition as much as it is a campaign. Go team!

That's awesome, Sara - I wish I could join you. This is such an important fight, I wish we could all go to CA and help.

Good luck.

It may sound odd, but I can't think of anything more fun and exciting than spending a week working with No on 8 right before Election Day.

I've never been more proud of you, Sara. I can't wait to see the posts this inspires.

I am incredibly fortunate to be able to pick up and come out here.

The choice was to work on Obama in New Hampshire or for Prop. 8 in CA. I feel so strongly that so many people will commit time to Obama- and should! but not enough for gay rights.

Enough. It's time to help ourselves for once.

Good choice, Sara.

The presidency is #1 priority. Victory is not guaranteed, but Obama has the character, financial resources, and organization to win and to counteract any surprise during this last week of campaigning. Additionally, record number of people are volunteering to help Obama on election day.

The focus, at this time, for the LGBT community around the country should be Prop 8 in California (of course, help in Florida, Arizona, and Arkansas if you live there). But the battle of California will define how quickly we can get LGBT equality nationwide.

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | October 28, 2008 3:03 AM

Well done supermom!

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | October 28, 2008 7:45 AM

You've got your priorities right.

Everyone I know in LA and SF is out busting thier butts on this one and the vote is narrowing a bit, and that's a good sign.

Have fun.

Michael Crawford Michael Crawford | October 28, 2008 8:04 AM

Sara,

It is fantastic that you are going to be spending helping to defeat the evil Prop. 8!

Kick ass and take names!

I am spending the next seven days volunteering full time for the Obama campaign.

LGBT people need to be engaged at all levels.

I wish you well and will be looking forward to your posts about your experiences.

BIG HUG

Blockmeister | October 28, 2008 9:25 AM

Thank you so much for going! I wish I could go, but I have to work!
Again, thank you!

wow... bill and robert- you agree on something!

change must be a-comin... will post later today.