Waymon Hudson

1 of 18,000 Being Attacked This Holiday Season

Filed By Waymon Hudson | December 20, 2008 5:30 PM | comments

Filed in: Fundie Watch, Living, Marriage Equality, The Movement
Tags: homosexual agenda, marriage equality, Prop 8, Yes on 8

My "homosexual agenda" is pretty much the same everyday. Wake-up, give my husband a kiss on the cheek, give one of our dogs his allergy medicine and make sure there is food in their bowls, decide if I can skip another day of going for a jog as I munch on leftover holiday cookies, eventually make my way over to the computer to check my email and start my work day. Pretty sinister, right?

It's this threat to society as we know it that has kept the "Yes on H8" folks marching forward, now seeking to nullify the over 18,000 marriage that occurred in California, of which me and my husband are part of.

Yes, as I type this sitting on my couch with my dog sleeping in my lap, looking at my Christmas tree that symbolizes the season of giving, my marriage is up for debate and being challenged by people that have nothing to do with it.

Wrap a bow on that gift and put it in your stocking...

I often wonder if the people fighting to strip away our marriage really stop to think of the individuals involved, to really put a face on the news story and the nameless numbers. They are great about putting out press releases, commercials, and emails talking about the dangerous homosexual agenda, but I wonder if they think about the people they are working so hard to take things from.

I wonder how they would feel waking up one day to read a headline in a newspaper that their marriage is not valid and is over. Talk about being breaking news- the two people who are directly affected, whose marriage is being dissolved, have no real say in it.

So once again, our relationship is suddenly making headlines. Our marriage is a "political issue", not the simple expression of love between two people. Talk about redefining marriage...

It's interesting that the people that are quite literally destroying marriages, mine and 18,000 others, are somehow taking the stance of moral authority. I know for certain that part of my day does not include trying to break up other marriages. Can they say the same?

So for now I sit next to my husband, the man I love, and wonder how someone else gets the right to decide if our marriage is valid. I know they can never change how we feel for one another, but it doesn't stop it from stinging as you read a headline about how your marriage is getting dissolved.

Happy Holidays, indeed...

Recent Entries Filed under Living:

And Obama just picked RayLaHood (another homophobe) as his transportation secretary. /////Again, I say, see it as a learning experience. Don't fully trust anyone in politics. Save the mushy New Messiah drama for books and movies.

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | December 21, 2008 1:26 AM

Does Ray La Hood have qualities that make him a superior candidate for Transportation. Something like getting Americans out of their cars and in to mass transit?

Should there even be a litmus test of this sort for a department unrelated to civil liberties? Talk to me about the Justice Department, CIA or FBI I take your point/// but transportation?

Despite his personal views he is fiscally honest and even Republicans call him a "big spender." Infrastructure improvements are how Obama will dig us out of the ditch we are in.

I agree. Qualifications are the most important.

But if Waymon's marriage gets nullified, I'll be the first one in line demanding it back.

Personally, I think this is where they "jumped the shark." They've gone too far now, and there will be a backlash against the right.

Marla R. Stevens Marla R. Stevens | December 23, 2008 12:00 PM

He's being nominated to an administrative position the duties of which include being the big boss (superceded only by Obama himself) of the many employees of his Department. So, beyond any transportation policy considerations that might have disproportionate impact on LGBTQ folk, his homophobia has a direct impact on his ability to be a fair employer -- no inconsequential or irrelevant thing, guys.

And...try to enjoy Christmas by remembering this: with Prop 8 in Ca., the under-30 crowd voted almost entirely in your favor.

Don Sherfick Don Sherfick | December 20, 2008 6:25 PM

At least a silver lining in the same story in which I saw the news about the defenders of Prop 8 insisting it apply retroactively (are we really all that surprised?) is that California Attorney General Brown, who would have traditionally defended the state on behalf of an initiative like Prop 8, has taken the opposite position.

And that makes perfect sense, because as I recall Brown was instrumental in rephrasing the way the measure was on the ballot, describing it as taking away a constitutional right (as announced by the California Supreme Court in June). So in essence he's consistent with that effort in defending the state's existing constitution.

From what I've read it seems possible that the California Supreme Court could find Proposition 8 to constitute an amendment rather than a revision, and thus upholding it, while at the same time declining to invalidate the 18,000 marriages because of some fairly strong precedents concerning presumptions against retroactivity.

Let's hope there is good news for us concerning both questions, but at least a half-loaf would be better than nothing for those 18,000 couples.

Don Sherfick Don Sherfick | December 20, 2008 6:28 PM

Brynn Craffey Brynn Craffey | December 20, 2008 11:00 PM

They believe they have to destroy marriage(s) to save it.

I am so over the Religious Right. Honestly, I think the country is nearly there, too.

Have hope, Waymon.

While they are trying to destroy your marriasge, they are also destroying the marriages of many of their own, by supporting or leading policies and companies that ship thousands of US jobs overseas, all so they can make the current quarterly or annual report look good and get them and their friends big fat bonuses.

They and their friends all share inscestuous relationships serving on each other's board of directors, voting each other big pay raises and bonuses. Meanwhile they wring their hands, and cry 'wolf' about those evil ole homos who are trying to ruin this country by wanting just basic human respect. We are now, and have been for the past several years, the smokescreen that these greedy pricks have put up to keep your average american from seeing how much the fat cats have been screwing them. Slip a preacher a few grand in 'contributions' to preach about the wicked sin of HOMOsexuality and how if HOMO's get equal rights, then this country is down the tubes, and that diverts the attention of the average Joe from all the money being siphoned off to offshore accounts or going into the pockets of the priviledged few.

Maybe Marx and Lenin weren't so wrong after all?

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | December 21, 2008 12:51 AM

Waymon, I am sad for your situation. Take heart and remember that nothing worth anything was ever gotten easily. "The relationship" is everything. Don't let the haters dampen your holiday. As pointed out above we are by generation going in the right direction.

Every representative, every state, every Gay org get to work. Civil disobedience just makes us look stupid, but organized work still pays dividends. When I was your age (oops an age reference) landlords had the right to evict me in Indiana just for discovering I was Gay. Forget any job protections. That is among the reasons I moved to Illinois which had less legal discrimination. To think then that now corporations would be giving domestic partnership benefits would have been impossible.

Our Best to you and Anthony.

Michael Crawford Michael Crawford | December 21, 2008 11:54 AM

Waymon,

Now you've gone and revealed the Gay Agenda! The entire world now knows that we are focused on taking care of our families, working hard at our jobs and helping build our communities.

At least they also now know that it is not us that is a threat to marriage. It is the anti-gay evangelicals who are going to extraordinary lengths to destroy our marriages.

ditto

all hatred is the same

whether one is tortured or lynched for being gay or for being black, one is still dead

peace
alicia banks
OUTLOOK

I agree with bil, this is the turning point.