Jeremy Bishop

Finally A Good Bank: Bank Ad Teaches Transgender Inclusion

Filed By Jeremy Bishop | March 02, 2009 2:30 PM | comments

Filed in: Living, Transgender & Intersex
Tags: Argentina, Banco Provincia, I'm sorry, transgender

A friend passed this you tube posting of an Argentinian bank advertisement that is simply jaw-dropping and touching. What an interesting take for an advertisement - a bank being generous to you, makes you reconsider your own bigotry and lack of compassion. Wow and definitely worth the thirty seconds it takes to view it.

Recent Entries Filed under Transgender & Intersex:

This one makes me cry every time. :)

Cathy Cat | March 2, 2009 4:41 PM

Emily,

Pass the kleenex.

Argentina today, the United States...?

I got to preview Jeremy's post before it went live on the site. I cried and cried.

I showed it to Alex who said we'd used the clip as a You Gotta See This video a while back, but I must have missed it. Thanks for bringing it to the main column, Jeremy!

Argentina permitting queer people in their military, and now this? Maybe I should start practicing my Spanish...

Incidentally, Argentina is also the source of a wonderful movie about an intersex teen. It's called XXY, and was really well done.

Michael Crawford Michael Crawford | March 2, 2009 6:52 PM

I love this ad because it shows that when we live our lives openly and honestly we can change hearts and minds.

If only that happened in real life!

But if we get more adverts like that... maybe one day it will.

Now I have to get another Kleenex. Must have got some dust in my eye.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this ad. I really needed to see it tonight.

Awesome ad. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | March 3, 2009 2:08 AM

That's a nice ad Jeremy. If know any honchos from Amalgamated Bank maybe you could pass that on to them.

Hey Bill:

I don't think Amalgamated does any advertising at all. We bank with them- and they seem firmly planted in about 1963 or before.

I mean, could the union movement get some corporate branding experts to help bring them into the new century.

Oy vey.

Hey Bill:

Oy vey.

Cathy Renna Cathy Renna | March 3, 2009 5:52 AM

what a touching and wonderful ad.......thanks for finding and sharing.

I don't think Argentina is necessarily any more accepting of LGB or T people, but its corporate culture isn't so worried about offending people's sensibilities all the time. Great ad!

Wow! The bank ad just made me weepy.

Andrew Conte | March 3, 2009 11:34 AM

I think you are wrong. Argentina just became the next nation to allow LGBT to serve in the military. The U.S. is lagging way behind in LGBT issues and many other important issues regarding human rights. We have become a nation of the rich and the poor. When banks and big corporations take the lead in social issues, things will change. We need a collapse from which to rebuild.

Andrew Conte | March 3, 2009 11:34 AM

Andrew Conte | March 3, 2009 11:35 AM

christophe | March 25, 2009 8:42 AM

stop commenting the same issue 3 times

I think I'm going to cry my heart out tonight. sniff sniff

I'm sorry...I've just can't help myself. sniff sniff

All this crying has got me...crying sniff sniff

I don't think I've ever had a commercial make me cry before.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Regan DuCasse | March 4, 2009 3:33 PM

I am very moved. One, because the older gentlemen made a gesture of conciliation. And it IS just that easy, simple and if only in real life people understood that it takes absolutely NOTHING away from anyone, such a small gesture of kindness and respect.

So little, can go a long, long way. It is in the greater scheme of defamation, threat and all manner of socio/political discrimination that has cost so much more and in the long run, serves nothing but the worst in humanity.

Lovely ad.
I wonder if, at all, there were negative responses from the public over this ad?
I know that here, when something is LGBT positive, there are factions that get apoplectic as if the world were ending.

Wish ad folks here in the US were that brave in passing along such a teachable moment.

Ad folks in the US *are* that brave.

well, bravery doesn't enter into it. the only reason an ad like this hasn't run in the united states, bank or other company or even an individual organization -- like say, one that claims to work for transgender causes but is widely considered not to -- is that no one has paid for and run an ad like this.

Advertising is dollar run. If someone produced such an advertisement for the US market, and paid for it to be run at specific times during specific shows, well...

it would be shown.

hell, give me the money and I'll do it, for crying out loud, to prove the point.

Yes there are people who would complain, but people complain about *every* ad. Hell, people complain about the geico ads, for crying out loud.

Money talks.

Anyone willing to pony up the funds?

Ellen Andersen Ellen Andersen | April 7, 2009 11:34 AM

OK-- this is the best. ad. ever.

Andrew Conte | April 7, 2009 5:58 PM

I disagree with you totally. Do you think for one moment that Citibank, Bank of America, G.E., G.M., etc would stick their necks out? We had a silly Heinz mayo commercial, where it featured a family with "two dads" and it was pulled immediately. Your point does not make sense. Banks and corporations have big money and make commercials all the time. They just don't make poignant ads featuring transgendered citizens, especially ones where the "man" i.e. the establishemnt, says "mea culpa" to the transgendered woman.