Michael Crawford

GOP Suffering Buyer's Remorse Over Michael Steele

Filed By Michael Crawford | March 04, 2009 2:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Politics, Politics
Tags: Limbaugh vs Steele, Michael Steele, Rush Limbaugh

It looks like an increasing number of Republicans are have second thoughts about electing Michael Steele as chairman of the RNC. Steele, who seems to be on a mission to use every hip hop linguistic cliche in the book in his effort to give the RNC an "off the hook" image makeover was elected to the post four weeks ago.

Steadily becoming a dependable punch line, Steele has brushed back Rush Limbaugh, threatened moderate Republican senators, offered the "friggin' awesome" Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal some "slum love," called civil unions "crazy" and promised more outreach to "urban-suburban hip-hop settings" via an "off the hook" public relations campaign.

He even threw a shout-out to "one-armed midgets."

That's in just 30 days on the job -- and that's just the PR part.

After the jump, find out how you can "Be Like Mike" and issue your own groveling apology to Rush "I hope Obama fails" Limbaugh.

My favorite moment was watching Michael Steele grovel at the feet of Rush Limbaugh who was aptly described by Rahm Emmanuel as the "voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party."

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says he has reached out to Rush Limbaugh to tell him he meant no offense when he referred to the popular conservative radio host as an "entertainer" whose show can be "incendiary."

"My intent was not to go after Rush - I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh," Steele said in a telephone interview. "I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. ... There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership."

You can make you own apology to Dear Leader Rush at I'm Sorry Rush, a new site brought to you by the DCCC.

On top of the PR nightmare comes word that while Steele spent a lot of time jutting from interview to interview he has failed to staff the RNC. Not a smart move after he made such a huge deal when asking the former RNC staff to resign.

A GOP strategist told U.S. News and World Report "If his implosion continues, RNC members are likely to call a special session to dump him for an effective chairman. There is not much patience for failure."

Being the rebel that he is, Steele is dismissing the naysayers as nothing more than "nervous Nellies."

My advice to Steele: Stay strong my Black brother. Don't let the GOP man get you down.

Of course if he does so, he may find himself booted out of his chairmanship far sooner than he expected.

A. J. Lopp | March 4, 2009 3:16 PM

I went to urbandictionary.com to see if "slum love" had any special meaning beyond the obvious ... and check out the example they use to demonstrate use of the expression:

1. Slum love An expression of camaraderie from one member of a stereotypically 'slum-living' racial minority to another. "Some slum love out to my buddy. Gov. Bobby Jindal is doing a friggin' awesome job in his state." --Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, in an interview on ABC Radio

Steele is on his way to media stardom; he might be a lousy administrator ... but obviously he is a walking urban dictionary.

As Kanye says, he's dope. Really dope.

Michael Crawford Michael Crawford | March 4, 2009 3:21 PM

Somehow I don't see the GOP learning to love a walking urban dictionary.

Actually, I'm waiting for Michelle Bachmann to attempt working "slum love" into a sentence somewhere. That's gonna rock.

But can you imagine the public relations nightmare for the GOP with African-Americans? They finally elect a black man and then fire him less than 2 months later? Good Lord.

I've always assumed that the selection of Steele was a cynical attempt to show that the GOP can tolerate people of color at the top, but now I'm beginning to think that he was set up. The Republicans get to claim credit for selecting an african-american, turn on him as soon as possible, then sack him so they can appoint Representative "Barack the Magic Negro," who they wanted all along but couldn't actually choose because of the negative publicity.

Anthony in Nashville | March 5, 2009 9:50 AM

I have no love for Michael Steele, but from the beginning it was clear he was placed in a no-win situation.

First of all, he had no credentials. His nomination was a blatant attempt at window dressing to cash in on the Obama phenomenon.

You can't try to diversify the party when the base consists of Rush Limbaugh and others who cling to the "white is right" philosophy.

A. J. Lopp | March 5, 2009 11:30 AM

Yes, I agree --- I get the feeling that, no matter how good he might show himself to be, Steele is destined to have fifteen minutes of fame, then he will lose major altitude and eventually become the MC Hammer of conservative Black politics --- even though the career arc is quickly over, everyone will still recognize the name for decades.

Michael Crawford Michael Crawford | March 5, 2009 11:46 AM

Michael Steele as the MC Hammer of Black conservative politics. Ha ha! Love it.

I wonder if Steele will go through as many image makeovers as MC Hammer.

Pass the Oreos.

Michael Steele has a much chance of getting more Blacks in the GOP than Ann Coulter has being invited to speak at NOW.

I know. Bummer, huh?

BTW, this is an especially delish batch of schadenfreude...

Michael;
First of all, congrats upon your editorship. Certainly well deserved.

Sceondly, I've honestly enjoyed the make over of the Republican leadership into clones of extras from "The Jeffersons" complete with countless embarassing moments of white trying to look 'black," particularly Michelle Bachmann's cringe generating performance.

Tragically, this particular television sit-com revival will likely be short lived, with one of the white extremists who vied for the post succeeding Steele in a month or two....