Alex Blaze

Day of Silence open thread

Filed By Alex Blaze | April 17, 2009 1:30 PM | comments

Filed in: Living, Living
Tags: bisexual, Day of Silence, glsn, lesbian, LGBT, open thread, schools, transgender

Today is the National Day of Silence. Are you participating? Any Day of Silence stories?

Recent Entries Filed under Living:

Equality Texas has launched an advocacy campaign, "Stop the Madness" in support of pending Anti-Bullying legislation in the Texas House of Representatives.

Our YouTube Channel video can be viewed at:

The bill, HB 1323 by Representative Mark Strama, has been voted out of committee and could reach the full House as early as next week.

Texas residents can take action in support of this important bill at:

Stop the madness.

Chuck Smith
Equality Texas
Deputy Director

FYI: some of my best friends are mad.

I think it's really important that we encourage people to stop saying that's so gay or using gay to mean something bad. But for that to really mean something, we have to stop using language that indicates people with physical and mental disabilities are bad. That means being careful about how we use words like lame, crazy, and mad.

I say, keep the madness coming, stop the bigotry.

I know that some of my students will be participating at school. They know that I support them very much in this.

To mark the day, my employer is tweeting about our student clients who stood up against anti-LGBT harassment in school. Andrew Emitt is our newest student client - at 17 he's challenging Tennessee's schools' use of internet filtering software that blocks pro-LGBT sites but not anti-LGBT ones - but they're all really awesome.

Dana Sullivan | April 17, 2009 2:54 PM

When I was in high school, closeted and very nervous about what might happen if I came out, it was really emotional to see people with white bands that represented the people like me who were scared into being quiet. It felt like every person I saw with a white band was doing it specially for me. By the next Day of Silence, I was out and participated proudly. Aw, I'm getting teary-eyed at work now...

Steve Ralls Steve Ralls | April 17, 2009 4:25 PM

Lisa Rivero, a PFLAG mom in South Florida who heads up our Safe Schools initiatives there, has a great guest op-ed in Florida Today, which is posted online.

And Kim Peters, who heads up Safe Schools issues for our Dayton, Ohio chapter, has a great synopsis of her pre-Day of Silence address to more than 300 students in Ohio on the PFLAG National blog.

A. J. Lopp | April 17, 2009 7:41 PM

ABC News with Charles Gibson just did a segment on 11-year-old Carl's suicide, interviewed his poor Mom, and then mentioned the Day of Silence. Then the reporter commented in the voice-over that "some parents think that Day of Silence condones immoral behavior" and that some who oppose DOS are threatening school walk-outs. Then, a sound bite from an anti-gay "Christian" parent who said, (paraphrase) "I don't think parents like me have to tolerate the school being run by the Thought Police, and that's what this is."

Now that pisses me off!

Parent, whether Christian or any other religion or no religion at all, need to be told in no uncertain terms that their child does not have a right, constitutional or otherwise, to conduct a campaign that ruins the learning environment for another student. It needs to be pointed out that there is a big difference between stating, coldly, "My personal belief is that homosexuality is immoral" and tormenting another student day after day.

This notion that DOS promotes behavior that some consider "immoral" is also a pile of baloney. Even if one were to agree that homosexual sex is immoral, does anyone seriously charge that little 11-year-old Carl was engaging in overt homosexual acts? Even more ridiculous, do they have any proof? Or convincing evidence of any sort?

Enough for now ... I need to cool off!

Enrique Torre | April 18, 2009 1:48 AM

I'm an LGBT student in Mexico. Day of Silence doesn't happen here, but I would very much like to start doing it next year :) It's a great, unaggressive yet powerful, way of making a statement and contributing to end discrimination.

Enrique Torre | April 18, 2009 1:49 AM

This is my least active day of the week, and as I was walking this cop pulls over and parks near me. Doesn't flag me down, doesn't flip his lights or get out. So I keep walking, right? I look back a couple times, and that's all he does. He's just sitting there. I think it was meant as intimidation though, because I was wearing a black t-shirt with a bright pink bomb on it that said QUEER.

Other than that, I was well-received with the exception of a few glances

I am the GSA advisor at a small private high school in Minneapolis, MN. We have been observing the Day of Silence for at least 8 years. This year, at our school of approximately 500 students, 123 members of our community participated. This was astonishing, as in the past, more like 60-70 people participated.
It isn't a surprise that our school has an inclusive non-discrimination clause (which explicitly includes sexual orientation and gender identity) and includes those same descriptors in its diversity clause. We have weekly GSA meetings, usually "standing room only," with some 40 students, faculty and staff in attendance.We also have "out" students, staff and faculty in our community.
It's not hard to see why such actions as the Day of Silence go over well in our environment. That doesn't mean it's easy to be a queer member of our community. But it does mean that GLBT folks are aware of the support and alliance that surrounds them. And of course, ultimately, we are all better students and educators as a result of the increased level of safety for all to be who they truly are. For, "if all of us aren't safe, none of us is."
Congratulations to all who conducted successful Day of Silence activities.