Jesus Metropolitan Community Church, Indiana's largest LGBT church, released a statement Wednesday about the recent swine flu epidemic sweeping the nation.
Protecting Ourselves From the Flu
Given international concerns over swine flu, we want to ensure Jesus MCC is a safe and healthy place to worship in large groups and meet in small groups. So, as a precaution, we are asking all who attend worship or any other Church event to observe the following simple points:
Continued after the jump.
- If you are sick or have had significant exposure to someone who is, please stay home (and take advantage of our web resources) until the risk passes. We will miss you, but we want to keep everyone healthy!
- We ask everyone to carry a tissue in your pocket and to use that tissue if you need to sneeze or cough. If you forget to bring a tissue from home, we'll have boxes of tissues in the lobby, Social Hall, and Sanctuary. Grab one as you enter! (If you don't have a tissue when you sneeze or cough, use your sleeve.)
- All communion servers are required to apply hand sanitizer immediately before serving communion.
- At Jesus MCC, we love to give hugs and shake hands. But until this risk passes, we'll do things differently. Instead of hugs or handshakes, we'll smile, nod, or even bow slightly -- expressing the same loving connection in a slightly different way.
- Our children's church teachers are following additional procedures to protect our kids. We have sent an email to all parents describing those procedures. If you are a parent and didn't get one, please contact Melody Merida.
With these simple steps, we can all minimize the risk of spreading illness, while feeding our souls and enjoying one another's wonderful fellowship!
But what happens if you forgot your tissue and wore a short sleeve shirt? /snark