Alex Blaze

Man arrested for wearing women's swimsuit

Filed By Alex Blaze | June 10, 2009 4:30 PM | comments

Filed in: Living
Tags: bra, fashion sense, Ohio, police, police harassment, sugarcreek, women's clothing

What's next, police arresting people for not wearing at least three pieces of sex-appropriate clothing?

(Note: I don't know anything about this case other than what was in the WHIO-TV broadcast, so I'll be using male gender pronouns in the post since Miller was described as male-identified CD, not TS. It's the most I know at the moment.)

This is a crock.

Police said Miller will be charged with five counts of public indecency and three counts of menacing.

oldtimey2.jpgPublic indecency? He was wearing more than men usually wear to go swimming. I've seen men in swimsuits that are cut pretty high and he was covering up his chest too.

The menacing charges are also ridiculous. They said he wasn't threatening anyone, he just made some people uncomfortable. But if everyone who made me uncomfortable were arrested, well, the police wouldn't be around to arrest Miller.

But I'd like to hear the journalist here, Brittny McGraw, describe exactly how this guy was a threat to anyone. Putting on a women's swimsuit doesn't hurt others unless they're already insecure about their gender.

I just don't get it. Are the police now in charge of enforcing wardrobe choices? And what about his swimsuit is inappropriate, especially considering it was once the style of choice for men, minus the bra?

oldtimey.png

Recent Entries Filed under Living:

Kathy Padilla | June 10, 2009 4:38 PM

"For about a week people have been calling Sugarcreek Township police to say a man in a one-piece bathing suit was harassing them along the banks of the Little Miami River and along nearby streets."

When I read that, I thought OK - let's not get ahead of ouselves - what did this guy do to harrass peole?

"At no point did he threaten physical harm, but what he was doing made witnesses very uncomfortable, police said."

Ah - he committed the sin of existing.

Sugarcreek | June 15, 2009 9:51 AM

The man wasn't arrested for his choice of clothing and it's unfortunate that the media has placed the emphasis on that aspect of his behavior.
His arrest was for his actions while wearing the swimsuit. He was charged with five counts of indecent exposure for exposing his genitals to others while wearing the suit. Some of which were minors.
Additionally he was charged with three counts of menacing for approaching several people in a manner that would cause them to be concerned for their safety or that he may have an intent to cause them bodily harm. Again, some of the people he approached in this manner were females aged 12 and 13.
This is not his first arrest and he has had some dealings with the legal system on prior occasions.
As the judge said when setting his bail, his actions were escalating and probable to result in a crime of higher offense in the very near future.
I hope this lends more insight to what has been a very unfortunate situation for the community over the last week to ten days. As a community we are fortunate that he was apprehended before he permanently affected anyone else's life in a more damaging manner.

diddlygrl | June 10, 2009 5:26 PM

Well obviously, since he is a man and he is wearing anarticle of womens clothing, then he must be one of 'them'. We All know that since he is one of them, then he has to be up to no good, probably recruiting young boys, or worse yet, hiding out in womens restrooms so he can leer and menace them while not having sex with young boys.

(if I missed your fav stereotype, I apologize, but more than two and the sarcasm meter just goes all wonky.)

Barring mental illness being the reason, I think it is brave of someone to so openly flaunt convention. The people who called shoud just take a chill pill. Most people are like me and resent it when someone attempts to enforce a rule of morality on them that they do not agree with. Just because someone says so, don't make it so, so they should get their nose out of the poor mans business.

mixedqueer mixedqueer | June 10, 2009 5:33 PM

i thought they looked nice.

the reporter's language and the charges being filed make me angry angry angry!!!

The neighbors calling and complaining is absurd, but not shocking.

The police doing anything other than telling those neighbors to stop calling is a travesty of justice.

Thanks for posting, Alex.

WTF? Making people "uncomfortable" (about what, transgressing gender norms??) is now equal to "menacing?" Seriously, what is wrong with these people and how is this even legal?

This news sounds pretty appalling, but we aren't getting all the details - which I think says something about the reporter and the news organizations. They are assuming that a man in a swimsuit is in itself a threat deserving of arrest.

But at least one news source did provide more information. According to the Dayton Daily News, Miller chased some people (including juveniles) and partially exposed himself to others. So there seems to be cause for arresting him.

But knee-jerking straight to cries of bigotry are so much easier than getting things like 'facts' or the 'full story'...

In my life i've had the unfortunate experience of being harrassed twice in public by attention-seeking idiots like this.

Were the men who i saw moronic? Yes. Mentally ill? Possibly. Trans? No.

Heck, he looks better in a bathing suit than I do! Maybe they should have arrested me instead.

*Obligatory 'fashion police' joke here*
Seriously, what in the seven hells made them thing this would fly?....More importantly, someone please tell me these cops get smacked for this.

Dale is correct. Both DDN (who is owned by Cox Communications, as is WHIO) and WDTN mentioned the harassment and possible exposure of his genitals to kids and others. As WHIO has not exactly been LGBT 'friendly', it would not surprise me they would sensationalize a story (for ratings, no doubt - after all, WHIO-TV just got rated #1 CBS affiliate) by handily omitting a few facts. Then again, WHIO-AM is the 'community pillar' broadcasting such vile crap like Faux News, his royal Rushness, and the crown prince Sean Hannity.
One thing: Any CD who would do this in public is, IMHO, not trans; I feel he has other, much more serious issues. I don't care what you are wearing, you just don't go around in public showing your private parts. Oh, and he needs to lose the 'stache, too. It clashes with the swimsuit.

Hi Alex and everyone else..
Thank you for posting this. I'm really disturbed by, as you point out, the implicit association that "chasing after someone" somehow becomes criminal as soon as you put on clothing that is traditionally attributed to the opposite gender. So if a man wears a speedo and chases me down the street that somehow is criminal? Um. I don't think so.

I am really shocked 1. At the high bail amount, clearly a show of bigotry by the judge who will hear this case. 2. The fact that they are pressing 5 charges!!!! Wtf? and 3. That it doesn't even mention if ze's been able to retain legal council.

My sense is that mainstream orgnaizations like ACLU won't touch this with a 20 foot pole because they fear a back-fire effect, but the reality is this: A conviction would have far reaching, negative and chilling effects for trans people.

The ACLU and others should vigorously defend folks who are prosecuted simply for engaging in "menacing" --yet non-criminal behavior simply because they were wearing a bathing suit people didn't like. I suspect that we are only getting the "victims" side of the story "this guy is a freak! EWWW!" as oppose to what they probably did to provoke this person.

:-\ Very disturbing.

~Danielle

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | June 11, 2009 3:52 AM

I doubt the fellow is in any way Gay or trans, but probably has a fetish. Firstly, no stylish person would have a beard like that unless they were directly behind the assless chaps at a parade. He wanted to be identified as a man with a woman's swimsuit and padded bra. It was his choice to approach women. He was seeking female company and it is possible to believe that while he "threatened" no one he could have made remarks that were invitations to enjoy his company.

In that he was running about in the same area long enough to have caused a series of police reports I think that it is appropriate to assume that he also desired to be caught.

The report I saw said he had a fetish and was chasing women and yelling vulgarities about both his and their genitals. I believe (but can't really say for sure) that I remember he also exposed himself a few times and this wasn't the first time - this week - that the police have dealt with him. They gave him warnings for his other run-ins with the law.

Thanks to Dale and Bil for posting more context. If he did in fact expose himself (and I'd still want to know how that got defined in this case), there are obviously grounds for a charge/charges here.

But whether or not he's trans-identified, and whether or not he's defined as mentally unstable, there's still a bigger issue for us to consider: the kind of phobia towards gender-variant people expressed in some of the coverage, and the willingness to equate non-conformity with danger or instability is something that we should all be concerned about. We can separate that out from what we know or think we know about his identity itself.

Angela Brightfeather | June 11, 2009 10:13 AM

It's very simple folks.
Why isn't the GLBT community and the local clubs, Community Center and various other friendly organizations planning on having a "Best Women's Bathing Suit Contest, Worn by Men" competition in that city? I don't recall a time when the GLBT Community has not turned womething like this around and been able tomake money out of it and have fun at the same time, while still making a political "in your face" statment about it.

How come no one is astute enough to make this the theme of the next Pride Parade in that town? Or in many towns for that matter.

Where is the TS Menace when you need them? Where is GPAC for that matter or at least a statement from them? Why isn't the Trans/Drag Community organizing contests as we speak?

The video was removed for TOS infringement. Why?

I'm not sure why the video was removed from YouTube, but it is still available on the news station's website - just follow the link in Alex's article.

but WHY would Youtube block it?

Did we read the same article. His public indecency was exposing himself and harrassing girls. There are so many real discrimination issues, but this isn't one of them. Now if the police or judge treated him differently because of his dress, that would be a story.

I can have people arrested and charged for being "menacing" or for making me uncomfortable?? AWESOME! I'm gonna start making a list.... BBL

Robert Ganshorn Robert Ganshorn | June 13, 2009 4:06 AM

Deliberate harassment either verbal, visual or physical...yes.