Alex Blaze

New Equality California marriage ad

Filed By Alex Blaze | June 16, 2009 5:30 PM | comments

Filed in: Marriage Equality, Politics
Tags: African-American, black, California, Equality California, gay marriage, LGBT, LGBT civil rights, marriage

Equality California has a new ad out meant to change the hearts and minds of African Americans on the issue of marriage. What do you all think?

The men are effeminate; I don't think it will resonate much with the African American population it is trying to reach.

Brynn Craffey Brynn Craffey | June 16, 2009 8:52 PM

And if they are, so what? I liked that.

If I was going to criticize the ad, it would be because it feels like it's trying too hard to be safe and acceptable. But that criticism reflects my discomfort with the entire marriage-equality movement now, with its emphasis on not offending and coming across as mainstream. At the same time, I understand that that's exactly what advertising tries to do. The edgy crowd already supports equal rights. So, while my criticism would be valid of the movement, it's pointless when directed at an ad.

They are effeminate? I don't know about that Lucrece. They sound like every man of substance that I've ever talked to about community building.

I don't know where you're coming from,but as a "white guy" who has worked for "black men" for a good part of my career I can say that these two guys capture the best part of every man I've ever worked for.

I would also say that these guys as cool as they are, might be a bit to pale.

Regan DuCasse | June 16, 2009 6:59 PM

I saw an extended version of this during the Oscar broadcast. I was very surprised it got on primetime and during such a time of the biggest audience for ABC.

Ads are fine, but most people can know couples like this through a church or school or any number of community gatherings. These men have FIVE children, after all. Children have friends and so on.

One would think this is enough for a community to know the gay folks within it...it's unfortunate and it's GAY people who have to strain themselves at meeting people in ordinary circumstances.

Which makes the accusation 'shoving it down our throats', as empty one as there is.
When the opposition makes you chase them, why do they bitch about having to run?

Scott Imler | June 16, 2009 11:11 PM

In the last campaign, Equality California shoved ALL gay folks and their children into the deepest darkest closet they could find, never to be seen or heard from. Given that equality of obscurity, it's interesting now to watch which gay folks they are letting out of that closet.

I think they are right to focus on the kids -- as risky as that seems at first blush, but they don't go far enough. The instinct last time was to run from the issue the minute someone suggested that we wanted to "teach homosexuality" in the schools.

NO WE DON'T, NO WE DON'T. NO WE DON'T came the cries of incredulity from the Super of Public Ed. and the he good Senator from San francisco.

NO we DON'T ??? The hell we don't !!!

How many Lawrence Kings, Carl Joseph Hoover Walkers, and Jaheem Herreras have to die before we're prepared to teach the truth.

This movement will never get anywhere until such time as we find the spine to actually speak OUR truth and let the chips fall where they may. We aren't responsible for the lies of our opponents and should never base our primary messaging on their lies. Polling and focus groups can never ever substitute for common sense and the vigorous defense of our famllies and our children's interests and safety.

When we're prepared tp show the world who we really are as LGBT communiTIES [all of us rather than just the tame and domesticated ones] and to speak our multiple thruthS with courage and conviction maybe the public will believe us.. Until then we're lying just as surely as our opponents.

With all due respect to the family portrayed, this ad is terrible. It's bland, pandering, insecure and engenders nothing but doubt.

People don't change when they are comfortable. People change when they are uncomfortable. And it's our job to make them uncomfortable with the status quo and its homophobic slaughter of the innocents. If we won't defend our children with our very lives, then we don't deserve them.

Back to the drawing board guys.

pastor scott

Brynn Craffey Brynn Craffey | June 17, 2009 1:41 PM

Well said, Scott!!! Along with the rest of your comment.

So what if they are, you say? This is an advertisement intended for a community that is highly stringent in policing gender, not some fancy little video designed to appeal to your fairly liberal tastes.

You put an ad like this out, and I can assure you the church-going blacks you're aiming this to will be saying "Somebody save the children from these faggots".

Brynn Craffey Brynn Craffey | June 17, 2009 1:45 PM

Lucrece, I'm afraid you and I are never going to agree--nor, for that matter, convince the other of the rightness of their point of view.

These ads always confuse me. Is this a real family, or are they paid actors?

I'm clearly not the ad's target audience, but I really like it. I don't think it's targeted toward church goers who use the word "faggot." I think it's targeted toward moveable middle voters, who generally are ok with gay couples not facing outright discrimination, but aren't entirely comfortable with the word "marriage."

And I'm glad that the new marriage campaign in CA is focusing on married couples, their families and their stories. It is, as Marc Solomon says, "our secret weapon."

I feel ambivilent about this ad. I think it does touch on some points, though is it the right ad? I haven't lived in California for several years and I am not African American so I really can't make a good judgement one way or another...

My question is, did they show this ad to a group of African Americans in California and what was THEIR response to the ad? That should tell us whether or not it was effective about changing hearts and minds...

Just my two cents.