Bil Browning

Steele: I'll Woo Blacks To GOP With "Fried Chicken And Potato Salad"

Filed By Bil Browning | July 14, 2009 1:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Politics
Tags: African-American, GOP, Michael Steele, potato salad, Republicans, stereotypes

The Young Republicans convention was held in Indianapolis last weekend and their election of a racist, middle-aged woman as President isn't the only controversial item to come out of the GOP gathering.

Local Republican blog Hoosier Access was able to get RNC Chairman Michael Steele to sit down with a group of bloggers and they taped the conversation. The old gaffe-o-matic (or as I like to call him, the Republican Joe Biden!) answers a question from a gay person of color in this clip about the GOP's diversity outreach.

Yes, that's right. To lure African-Americans into the GOP, Steele is offering "fried chicken and potato salad." Since he mentions Republicans should also be reaching out to the LGBT community, I wonder what stereotype he's going to offer us? Buttplugs and Birkenstocks?

(Crossposted at Huffington Post)

I didn't even know that potato salad is supposed to be a stereotype of AA food...(?)

I'd show up at a meeting to get free Birkenstocks. ;) Doesn't mean I'd ever vote for a Republican though.

Real Reporter | July 14, 2009 2:26 PM

Your headline is WAY out of Context.

Go learn how to report wannabe!

Really? Any reason, Ms. Reporter, for saying that, or are you just being snippy?

Because that's what Michael Steele said. Watch the video.

lung whip | July 14, 2009 7:41 PM

no, you took him way way out of context. that's bad reporting. somebody brings up collard greens, he jokes with them and brings up potato salad and fried chicken. not an original thought, done more out of irony. non-story.

i mean don't get me wrong. i love to steele bash. michael steele is an embarrassment to the GOP, for sure. he's always good for a laugh. but not this time.

you thought you had a scoop, thought you caught him doing one of his classic limbaugh flip-flops or another 'hip hop GOP' line and you were wrong.

I want something with a diamond if not at least a glittery sequin of some sort.

AS a AA Michael Steele is a damn Joke! seriously! he just doesnt get it! that is exactly why he is a republican and he cant even identify or relate to minorites PERIOD!

A. J. Lopp | July 14, 2009 5:27 PM

Really? ... Potato salad? ... Really?

Had Steele known anything about Indianapolis, he might have had either BBQ Heaven or Kings Ribs cater a hospitality event. In addition to great food, it would have pumped a few GOP coffer-dollars into the Indy black economy.

Jim Snaza | July 14, 2009 6:00 PM

I'm not a fan of Michael Steele by any means, but this is taken out of context. The man who asked the question made the first off-base comment about bringing collard greens. This is what politics has turned into, taking snippets from a speech and turning it in to a controversy.

Steele's answer is incoherent, rambling, and it offers no solutions other than "Y'all come". I think that's the headline: GOP Without Solutions.

the blogger asking questions said ' ill bring the collard greens ' and steele replied ' yea and i got the fried chicken and potato salad '.

clearly a joke between two african americans that is being taken out of context by the race bating identity politics-driven liberal trash that occupy the web.

As an AA, I don't like either the collard green or fried chicken comment. However, it was meant as a joke. As an AA, I can at least see that. That said, (1) it's still inappropriate given that the GOP has major problems stereotyping Blacks and (2) I can guarantee, neither of the off-the-cuff remarks, nor his plea for Blacks to join the ranks of Rush Limbaugh in the GOP will help. I do not see in my lifetime, the GOP winning a significant percentage of the Black votes. Their thrashing of Sotomayor, will ensure that Latinos and Hispanics might feel dejected by them too.

When will the GOP learn that Blacks see a SYSTEMIC problem with (1) their rhetoric v. the voting record and (2) the fact that the GOP does not speak to Black issues of justice and equality? As an dual-degreed AA male, I can't see a time where I could vote for this party. After the sickening monkey episodes of the Palin rallys last year and the "Kill him, Kill him" chants directed at Obama during McCain rallys, why should I or any other Black join this party and in effect, condone this behavior? Some GOP voters will retort, "we don't condone this activity", but you do if you don't vehemently speak out voceriferously against it. I can't stand flaming liberals or the Democratic party either. For me, and other Blacks, it's choosing the between the lesser of two evils.

The bottom line is that the GOP sees a different way of addressing the issues THEY think are important to Blacks. Yet, they don't see how we interpret policy and how WE feel is the best way to move forward. It's an impossible impasse corroborated by decades of not voting for them. If the GOP wants our votes, they have to earn them, else they will be seen as the party of only old white men and lost presidential elections.

A. J. Lopp | July 16, 2009 11:20 AM

As this thread ages and and grows stale, let me post this cheap shot:

The video frame on this clip is ... amusing. With Steele sitting down and backed into a corner as he is, and the frame showing him from slightly above and only from the waist up, I can't escape the visual suggestion that he is conducting the interview while sitting on the commode.

Re-view the clip while imagining that Steele's boxers are down around his ankles, and it reaches a whole new level of surrealism. How Freudian of me! And we all know how Republican male politicians love their free time in the restroom.