Gloria Brame, Ph.D.

1920s Paris: naughty demoiselles

Filed By Gloria Brame, Ph.D. | December 03, 2009 12:30 PM | comments

Filed in: Gay Icons and History, Living, Media
Tags: French postcards, vintage erotica

Sweet and sexy hug in this vintage postcard from the Biederer studios, Paris 1920s.

2girlshug-bied.JPG

Recent Entries Filed under Gay Icons and History:

Wilson46201 | December 3, 2009 1:32 PM

In 1970 I helped the good folk at the Kinsey Sex Institute in Bloomington, Indiana, to film their first-ever lesbian sex film.

1970? First lesbian film?

They had in their library loads of films with women doing sex-like things with other women but those films had all been made for the titillation of MEN! The Kinsey scientists had no film documentation of what two women do with each other sexually naturally in private. I knew several longtime and 'promiscuous' gay women so I hooked them up with the scientists. I never saw the flicks but I understand a good and scientific time was had by all!

Lynn Miller | December 3, 2009 8:28 PM

I was unfamiliar with the Biederer studios, so I did some websurfing. Jacques Biederer, a Czech immigrant moved to Paris in 1908 and set up his camera sometime after that. He was joined by his brother Charles in 1913 who helped him run the studio.

Censorship laws being what they were, the photos were distributed with discretion and often without any indication of their source.

Tragically, both brothers died in the Holocaust.

Helena Constantine | February 15, 2010 1:37 AM

The question mark logo on this card shows that it is actually a product of the Ostra studio.

Unfortunately it frequently happens that almost any card that is posted on the internet, especially by postcard dealers, is attributed to Biederer, because they are the single best known studio.

Gloria Brame | February 16, 2010 5:34 PM

Thank you! I didn't know that.

James Lovebirch | October 7, 2010 11:16 AM

Biederer created Ostra Studio as an offshoot so, it's all by the same photographer. Same models, props, and themes. Ostra also made a few stag films with girl-girl whipping etc. For more info, read the articles on both studios (which I wrote, by the way) at the Spanking Art Wikipedia.

Linda Branda | October 25, 2010 8:58 PM

Hi James

Can you provide any information as to the legality of reprinting these Risque postcards? I am assuming that no copyright was ever been issued, since this activity was illegal. I have a few from Ostra Studio/ Biederer that i want to print and distribute. If you have any information, Can you please share?

Many thanks