From March 5th to 15th rowdy and radical queers have been gathering in Montreal to share information, learn from one another and to celebrate our queerest selves in the highest of low fashion. Radical Queer Semaine is an annual gathering that hosts a myriad of workshops ranging in topics from harm reduction to queer struggles in Palestine, performances, exhibits, film showings, rallies, direct action, and other events.
The organizing collective is a bilingual cadre of fierce queers and this year marks their second annual gathering. And what a week it was...
Some highlights include:
- Capture the Fag, a new take on an old classic
- Anti-Capitalist Romance, (aka "The Cheap Date Workshop")
- Stalle, an evening of queer performance art
- Le Monster Ball, the closing night dance party that lasted til the sun came up...
- Participation in the International Women's Day Rally & the International Day Against Police Brutality Demonstrations
These events and many more made for a dynamic, thought provoking and fun week of queer bonding and activism. Through an anti-oppression framework, the organizers of this event have done a really great job at creating a safe atmosphere in which to take risks, have fun and get your learn on (not to mention cruise all the cuties!). Keep your eyes peeled and your ears open for next year's week of events, because it will be something you surely don't want to miss!