Dr. Jillian T. Weiss

Do-or-Die Time for ENDA: Whip Count Now Under Way

Filed By Dr. Jillian T. Weiss | April 13, 2010 2:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Politics, Politics
Tags: employment discrimination, Employment Non-Discrimination Act, ENDA

Cocall congress.jpgngress is back in business today after the Easter recess, and action is starting on one of the major stated goals of our movement: the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would finally stop overt job discrimination against LGBT people. A whip count is starting on ENDA today to ensure that we have the votes to pass the US House of Representatives. Call your Rep right now at 202-224-3121 to demand an inclusive ENDA with gender identity protections.

Remember what happened the last time a whip count proceeded on ENDA? It was September, 2007.

In the crunch - the official Whip count taken in contemplation of the bill - it became very clear that while we would retain a significant majority of Democrats, we would lose enough so that a bill that included transgender protection would lose if not amended, and that an anti-transgender amendment would pass.

--Guest post on ENDA from Congressman Barney Frank
September 28, 2007 5:45 PM

Quoting Kerry Eleveld of the Advocate: It's do-or-die time for ENDA. Here's some things you should know about the political process.

THREE REASONS TO CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE RIGHT NOW

1. Now is the time we've all been demanding lo these many years. We are on the cusp of showing our national power as a community -- or showing our lack of it.

2. Representatives need to know that ENDA-lite is not enough. In 2007, ENDA passed without gender-identity protections because too many Representatives were afraid. Then, and only then, did the LGBT community stand up and shout "No!" We created a nasty fight within our own community and within the Democratic Party -- and rightly so. But the time to avoid having gender identity protection cut out of ENDA is N-O-W. Not after it's too late.

3. Representatives have short memories. They won't remember that a lot of people called last month, or last year. The only thing that will assure them of community support for an inclusive ENDA is your phone call now.

I'll be discussing this today as I guest host the Michelangelo Signorile show on Sirius XM's OutQ 109. Click here to learn more about the show and how you can listen for free on the internet.

This isn't inclusion. It is insanity.

Kathy Padilla | April 13, 2010 3:47 PM

You lost all by your lonesome in 2007 - and every single year before then.

Don't blame us.

Please get educated on GID before you go decrying the T in LGBT legislation. Here's one FAQ you should read at the American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/transgender.aspx

Amy Hunter Amy Hunter | April 14, 2010 7:06 AM

Just yesterday, I felt obliged to lend my support in favor of a non-enumerated version of an anti-bullying bill slated to go to the Michigan House floor.To do so felt incredibly hollow. Michigan has a truly hostile LGBT legislative environment. Political expediency may be neccessary here just to get the ball rolling, ENDA's history however, demands just the opposite. How anyone can offer such a comment as yours--if they are aware of the Bill's history-- is either really out of touch, or, has deliberate tunnel vision.

Amy Hunter Amy Hunter | April 14, 2010 7:14 AM

Please allow me to clarify: My previous comment was in response to the comment from Jess.

WHERE'S THE COUNT?

I just went to Sirius XM's free 1 week trial. Since I had never used it before I had to search around a bit. Found out that you select the "talk" category in column 1 then the "talk" category in column 2 - then 109 is at the top of the list which comes up in column 3. It is 4:34 - I'm listening in. Babs just came on.

For where your Rep stands and his/her direct telephone number, go to:

They also have the status and similar contact information for every other LGBT-related bill in Congress.

I can't wait to read your post on how it went hosting the radio show! :)

Angela Brightfeather | April 14, 2010 10:29 AM

"6 million gay Americans lose protection from discrimination b/c we have to uphold a "principle" that any guy who wants to has the right to show up to the office in a dress.

This isn't inclusion. It is insanity."

Hey Jess,

Try this on for size then....

6 million gay Americans lose protection from discrimination b/c we have to uphold a "principle" that any woman who wants to has the right to show up to the office in a pair of jeans witht the zipper on the front, steel tod boots because she works on a jobsite or shows up with no makeup on when she is working ina beauty salon.

What was that about equality and insanity Jess?

Wake up, go to your psychiatrist and see if he or she can install more ram between your ears, please.

Tim Johnson - IL -- "no."

We live in a state with these protections, yet Johnson can't support them Federally. I run into Johnson almost every single day. He walks and bikes and works out a lot. It turns my stomach every time I do see him.

Yeah, because I'll feel *so* much better if I know that I'm being fired for being too butch rather than for my sexual preferences.

It's days like this that make me glad I'm part of a third party. Fucking Democrats.