Bil Browning

WTF?!: Did the school send Constance McMillen to a fake prom?

Filed By Bil Browning | April 05, 2010 4:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Living
Tags: Constance McMillen, fake prom, Fulton Country Club, lesbian couple, lesbian teen, lesbians at prom, Mississippi, prom, school district

Did the school district organize a fake prom for out lesbian teen Constance McMillen to attend while the other kids partied it up privately? A local blog posted these details about the latest twists to Constance's battle with her local school board to attend carrie2.jpgher high school prom.

The prom the school district promised at the country club in Fulton was a ruse. Only seven kids, Constance, and her date showed, and at the same time, everyone else held a "real" prom at a secret location out in the county. This is all after the school district had represented to Judge Davidson that Constance was invited to a parent-sponsored prom to be held at Tupelo Furniture Market. The school represented that Constance was invited in court filings, testimony, and representations by the school district and its lawyers. In reality, Constance had not been invited, but, based on the representations by the district and its counsel, Judge Davidson denied Constance's request for a preliminary injunction that she could go to the prom.

The school reneged, or possibly didn't ever intend to follow through on its representations to the court. The parents didn't want Constance at the prom and didn't want to be sued (as they told the Clarion Ledger), and so on Tuesday announced the cancellation of the prom. But what they'd done was secretly relocated it.

More after the jump.

Shortly thereafter, the school's attorney announced (on Wednesday) that "the prom" was to be held at the Fulton Country Club on Friday. But yet only seven kids showed up. Meanwhile, there's a rumor that school officials were directly involved in setting up the "fake" prom.

After hearing about the transfer student who was suspended as "disruptive" because he's trans before he could finish a single day, I'd believe it. That school has repeatedly shown that they don't have the best interests of all the kids at heart and are willing to participate in a redneck Lord of the Flies pissing match.

(Hat tip to Joe.My.God. who found it on Democratic Underground.)

Recent Entries Filed under Living:

Can we have UN sanctions declared on Mississippi and Canadians sent in to declare both Martial Law and Same Sex Marriage?

Juston Thouron Juston Thouron | April 6, 2010 2:53 PM

I don't know, but if Constance gets bullied at school the UN and Canadians may have to be called in to protect Fulton, MS from LGBT Americans. This seriously pissed off A LOT of people. Frankly, I hope things calm down to just the right temperature, for Constance's sake.

Call Superintendent of the Itawamba School District: Teresa McNeece - 662-862-2159

Demand: a public apology

Demand: a statement condemning any and all threats against any students

This is unbelievable. These folks have no shame.

Michelle B | April 5, 2010 7:43 PM

Watch out, Itawamba Agricultural school. If Constance doesn't crack out the telekinesis, Toni will (hopefully) :P Seriously, though, it's absolutely terrifying that the strong majority of that community thinks and feels this way.

Sadly, … I am from southern Alabama and proabably a full third of my extended family lives in Mississippi…sadly, many ‘right thinking’ Mississippians still belong to such groups as the SotC and DotC (Sons/Daughters of the Confederacy), the Ku Klux Klan (there’s even a Junior Klan for the kiddies) and Aryan Nation/American Nazi party. People will say other wise if you confront them, but at they still say the same things you’ll find in those organizations litature.

I grew up around that kind of stuff. I was always the outsider because my mom is part Indian and looked it and at times I did too. So I was just not white enough for them and just a bit too ‘fey’ for them. They look down their noses at everyone.

I am curious as to who the few other students were that were at the faux prom. Were they social rejects? The band geek, A/V club president, the girl with scoliosis, the team equipment manager, the loner, the poor kid, the sick kid or ‘speical Ed’ and ‘slow Tom’?

And today those that set up ‘the party’ feel smug that they put one over on the court. Not quite realizing that in fact their kids went to a party, not a prom. That their party was ‘separate but equal’, but still not ‘The Prom’.

Of course we all know that the pictures from ‘the party’ will be in the yearbook and the photo’s of ‘the prom’ will be in a single page inserted in the back and held in place with a paper clip.

In the end, its Mississippi. Mississippi is a lot like Alabama and vise versa. I am from there, I don’t have a really good reason to ever go back and now its even less of a reason to do so.

Two of those there were "special needs" students. And given the underlying issues of gender conformity that are present here, it's pretty certain that those there were indeed the social rejects of the school.

As for PK use, unlikely. I'm just not gifted with such capabilities.

What I am gifted at, though, often has similar effects...

Eric Payne | April 5, 2010 9:41 PM

Apparently, it is true.

It's being reported on other sites that the prom at the country club was considered the prom for the "other" kids - Constance, her date, and special needs students of Constance's high school.

If I were Constance's father, I would be consulting with an attorney, right now, to sue the county and state governments for every tax penny I'd ever paid that went toward education costs.

Juston Thouron Juston Thouron | April 5, 2010 10:23 PM

Hey guys, Joe Jervis posted some harvested pics from the Facebook pages of kids that attended the 'secret prom' and one of the kids responded to the comments. Joe also invited him "to write a first person account of the prom and your opinion on the entire controversy for publication here" on JMG. No reply yet from the student. Just thought you should know.

battybattybats battybattybats | April 5, 2010 10:53 PM

Lawsuits are i think a good idea.

But are there other ways we can contribute to making a serious example of this school?

Shame them for their unchristian behaviour?

Underline publicly and repeatedly their 'mean girls' style behaviour?

Demand an investigation into the participation of any school official, or one cent of public money involved in this?

Juston Thouron Juston Thouron | April 5, 2010 10:56 PM

One thing: Itawamba may have violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by pulling this stunt on the two learning disabled students. So that may be part of the legal fallout resulting from this despicable act.

I've been saying we should support the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition that's been organizing an LGBT inclusive prom, not just for this high school but all LGBT youth in Mississippi.

I did not once think this school was going to have a prom for everyone to go to.

I emailed, I tweeted, I commented, I even blogged--and I rarely blog--that we should not put all our eggs into court cases or legislation to force inclusion. Because if we didn't win, well, this is I what I figured would happen.

I mostly got brushed off, ignored, and a got into a few fights with people like Chris Geidner who was all like, local orgs are overrated and we should focus on the big picture. One blogger sent me a message, that confidentially the ACLU really wants to focus on winning the case reinstating the original prom. So I inferred from that, that promoting the fact that a local LGBT youth org was organizing a prom would hurt their case. So, keep it quiet.

Screw the big picture. The big picture is sucking attention and resources away from regional issues. I don't mean that really. I mean the national movement is being focused on at the expense of local movements.

Now two girls just had to pay the price for the adult LGBT community's damn insistence this was the perfect opportunity to bring attention to federal anti-bullying legislation that will come too goddman late for some. Mississippi just isn't in the same place other states are, and it's foolish to pretend it is.

We need to have and invest in an alternate plan to support our own at the grassroots level. Even it's just a safe place for LGBT youth to go, it's all important. So again: http://grrrlromeo.tumblr.com/post/445182860/all-lgbt-students-in-mississippi-should-have-a-safe

beachcomberT | April 6, 2010 7:48 AM

If the school district lied or misled the judge, that would seem to constitute perjury or obstruction of justice. I hope the judge does something about it.

This is OUTRAGEOUS. Our community has a responsibility to respond. An entire community has bullied and humiliated 7 children.

This is a coordinated ABUSE OF HUMAN DIGNITY by an entire community. This is inhumane. This is "intentional cruelty" - the worst aspect of human nature. It is outrageous and unacceptable. WHERE IS OUR RESPONSE?

I can't imagine this happening to someone's child, to one of our children. I can't stand idly by. I don't know where to start but....

At a minimum, this school board owes Constance and the other 5 children - a public apology. At a minimum.

I hear death threats are being made!? Where is the US Attorney General - the local police, Sherrif, Governor? We have a new hate-crimes law - surely they wont wait until its too late to MAKE A STATEMENT condemning these threats?

Please respond as you deem appropriate and/or DEMAND A PUBLIC APOLOGY!

ITAWAMBA COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT -- 605 South Cummings Street, Fulton, MS 38843

SUPERINTENDENT: TERESA McNEECE
(http://www.itawambacountyschools.com/staff/superintendent.htm)
Phone: (662) 862-2159
Fax: (662) 862-4713
Email: tmcneece@itawamba.k12.ms.us

OTHER BOARD MEMBERS:
(http://www.itawambacountyschools.com/board_members.htm)

Jackie Nichols -- jnichols@itawamba.k12.ms.us

Harold Martin -- hmartin@itawamba.k12.ms.us

Clara Brown -- cbrown@network-one.com

Tony Wallace -- twallace@nexband.com

HRC is also doing a petition on this: https://secure3.convio.net/hrc/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=785

WE CAN NOT ALLOW THIS TO GO UNCHALLENGED AS A MOVEMENT.