Joe Mirabella

Department of Defense: Don't Ask, Don't Tell Inbox Goes Live

Filed By Joe Mirabella | May 07, 2010 11:00 AM | comments

Filed in: Politics
Tags: Department of Defense, Don't Ask Don't Tell, gay rights, inbox, military, repeal

The Department of Defense posted to their blog, that the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Inbox soliciting anonymous comments from military personal about gays and lesbians is live.

A new online inbox that enables servicemembers and their families to comment anonymously about the impact of a possible repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law has gone live.

The inbox will enable servicemembers and families to offer their thoughts about how a repeal of the law that prohibits gays and lesbians from openly serving in the military might affect military readiness, military effectiveness and unit cohesion, recruiting and retention, and family readiness, a defense official explained.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates created an intradepartment, interservice working group to conduct a fair, objective, comprehensive and dispassionate review of these issues, the official said. The online inbox is one method the group will use to systematically engage with the force and their families.

A non-Defense Department contractor will monitor comments made through the inbox and eliminate any identifiable information inadvertently submitted to ensure anonymity, the official said.

The inbox is posted at http://www.defense.gov/dadt. Respondents must possess an official Common Access Card to provide input.

Whether intentional or not, the entire concept is designed to invite the worst kind of hate, anonymous homophobia.

I've had the opportunity to write for a variety of sources. When I write for sites with a broad audience, anonymous comments can be downright hateful. On one blog I write for, I have a pack of 5 or 6 potential people (it could be one person using several different identities) who takes every opportunity they can to fill my comment space with anti-gay hate.

The DOD process will be similar. If they want to prove that indeed gay people are hated by a vocal minority, they will have their hypothesis reinforced.

If the DOD were interested in hearing hate speech directed at other populations, they could easily find it through the anonymous inbox as well. For example, if you give white supremisists the opportunity to share their hate for everyone who isn't white, an anonymous inbox is the way to go.

I absolutely do not see any benefit to the inbox. Our military thrives on a top down command structure. Will the military leadership request opinions on other policies before issuing orders? How about going to war? Do you think the men and women on their 5th tour of duty would give the DOD a warm and fuzzy response in an anonymous inbox? I don't.

The only purpose for the inbox, is to delay the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell indefinitely.

Margaretpoa Margaretpoa | May 7, 2010 11:18 AM

Okay, I'm not at liberty to disclose my source on this but I got a pdf recently from the legal counsel to the surgeon general that stated that military doctors no longer have the duty or obligation to report service members who admit to homosexual conduct. I understand that you may question the veracity of this but I haven't been authorized to pass it on, nor will I forward official communications. I don't want to get my very dear friend in any sort of troubleO. I'm sure this will be public very soon so just remember you heard it here first.

PS I'm willing to forward it to Bil for authentication, provided he agrees not to forward it to anyone else, reproduce it or post it. Let me know.

Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | May 7, 2010 11:40 AM

That was already public knowledge, announced March 25 by Robert "Repeal Over My Dead Body" Gates as a part of the changes to the regs.

"[C]certain categories of confidential information that will not be used for purposes of
homosexual conduct discharges:

o Information provided to lawyers, clergy, and psychotherapists;
o Information provided to a medical professional in furtherance of medical treatment or a
public health official in the course of a public health inquiry;
o Information provided in the course of seeking professional assistance for domestic or
physical abuse;
o Information about sexual orientation or conduct obtained in the course of security
clearance investigations, in accordance with existing Department of Defense policies."

[For the record, in typical Obama Inc. fashion, they padded: attorney-client confidentiality was already generally recongnized and the security clearance investigation protection came through an Executive Order by Bill Clinton years ago.]

As for the "Inbox for Homohatred"...what's it going to take for the gay community to stop displaying Battered Wife Syndrome and DEMAND that this phony [taxpayer-funded] study meant to stop repeal be STOPPED ITSELF as they SHOULD have done within an hour of its announcement Feb. 2nd...DC police beating the next gay vets while they're chained to the White House fence?

Further, WHY are people acting as if they HAVE to BARGAIN with Gates who works for POTUS who supposedly works for us? AND not even getting how much he REALLY wants?

It is NOT just until after the Dec. 1st publication of their "study" that they want to be allowd to continue discharges. Gates, in response to a question by Sen. Udall, explicitly said on Feb. 2nd that they would want AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR after repeal before they'd have to stop shitcanning gays!

"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will." - Frederick Douglass.

"The Master's tools will never dismantle the Master's house.” - Audre Lorde.

Particularly, if that house is in the shape of a pentagon.

Utter bullshit. Our military is now run off of a suggestion box.

Renee Thomas | May 7, 2010 7:24 PM

Good Gawd!

What to do about “Teh Gay” is now up for discussion on an anonymous bulletin board??

And nobody at DOD thought for even a second that THIS wasn’t gonna be a walking cluster fuck from the get go?!

Ah how I long for the days of Harry Truman . . .

“What’s that you say General MacArthur? . . . ignoring my order not to invade China??”

“No problem General . . .

“Pack your cardboard box – Your Fired!!”

Juan Del Pueblo | May 7, 2010 7:06 PM

Well,

So far no combination of operating system and or browser will let me access the site. The fact that I probably need a government box in addition to a CAC really puts me off. How can I be honest when my box could be monitored?

Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | May 7, 2010 7:30 PM

Silly moi! Cynical anciene reine that I am, I keep thinking that I understand just how low they'll go and only intially quick scan such DOD statements, so I initially overlooked the latest vile amplification:

"how a repeal ... might affect ... FAMILY READINESS"

Do they imagine Daisey Mae won't be able to sleep, keep diapers on their tater tots, sweep the trailer if she has to worry about L'il Abner off to war with the Fagroes?

"It just scared us to death when the colored were put on it. I went over to Selective Service and saw Gen. Hershey, and he turned me over to a lieutenant colonel ... I told him, 'Eleanor [Mrs. Roosevelt] says we gotta take in Negroes, and we are just scared to death, we've never had any in, we don't know how to handle them, we are afraid of them'." - a DOD personnel planner for the Marines remembering 1942 in "Integration of the Armed Forces, 1940-1965" by Morris J. MacGregor Jr.

Support the troops, man. We're supposed to do everything to make them comfortable, except for the "stop sending them to war" thing.

The main purpose of the "anonymous" bulletin board is to find reasons to justify keeping DADT in order to protect straight men from gay men.

I say open up the bulletin board to women who wish to complain about how straight men in the military treat them. My prediction is we'll find predatory straight men to be much more of a problem than gay men.

Sexual Assault Permeates U.S. Armed Forces
"One in three female soldiers will experience sexual assault while serving in the military..."