Dr. Jillian T. Weiss

ENDA Cuts Off Student Loans For Christian Colleges

Filed By Dr. Jillian T. Weiss | May 01, 2010 2:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Living, Politics, Politics
Tags: employment discrimination, Employment Non-Discrimination Act, ENDA, Family Research Council, religious discrimination

Well, according to this Family Research Council video. No, really. In fact, according to this video, Obama's Department of Education has already ordered Christian schools to comply or face a cut-off of federal funds. It's the end of the 100 Christian colleges and universities in America.

But what part of "THIS ACT SHALL NOT APPLY" do you not understand?

ENDA, SEC. 6. EXEMPTION FOR RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS. This Act shall not apply to a corporation, association, educational institution, or society that is exempt from the religious discrimination provisions of Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 pursuant to section 702(a) or 703(e)(2) of such Act.

CIVIL RIGHTS ACT, SEC. 703(e)(2): it shall not be an unlawful employment practice for...such school, college, university, or other educational institution or institution of learning [if it] is, in whole or in substantial part, owned, supported, controlled, or managed by a particular religion...or if the curriculum of such school...is directed toward the propagation of a particular religion.

Over-the-top screaming and crying video begins after the jump. Talk about drama queens!

Thumbnail image for FRC Video.jpg>

5-ENDA Impact on Education - Final from Derek Packard on Vimeo.

If only ENDA passed, and this was true...

I agree. Why ought my tax dollars support schools whose states purpose, as in Liberty and Regent, is to produce graduates to fight against my very right to live?

I agree 100% with Carol!!!!! There should be NO---ZERO public money supporting religious schools or students going to religious schools.

Like any group that has managed to benefit from a loophole, they are worried that their free ride might be coming to an end. While I am sure their predictions are pretty much overblown for political impact, I have no doubt that these same people who speak so falsely about ENDA, had their way the first amendment of the Bill of Rights would reflect their values at the cost of anyone else's freedom.

On the 18th of April, Barney Frank stated about the ENDA markup in the House Education and Labor Committee

'It will be this week or next week.''
And there was Much Rejoicing.

That was two weeks ago.

The House Education and Labor Committee still has nothing scheduled on ENDA, according to their website. Not even a meeting-to-arrange-a-date-for-a-meeting-to-markup.

Here's their agenda for the coming week:

Supporting America’s Educators: The Importance of Quality Teachers and Leaders
Full Committee Hearing 2:00 PM, May 4, 2010 2175 Rayburn H.O.B.
Washington, DC

H.R. 3721, Protecting Older Workers Against Discrimination Act
Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions Subcommittee Hearing 10:30 AM, May 5, 2010 2175 Rayburn H.O.B
Washington, DC

In fact, the last mention of a markup for ENDA is this:

H.R. 3017 - POSTPONED: Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2009
Posted: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:00:00 -0500
Full Committee Markup
2175 Rayburn H.O.B

This markup has been postponed.

And so the shellgame continues.

Somebody gets his or her student loan to go to Regent or Liberty because I might want a student loan to go to Naropa.

Except that Naropa (had to look it up!) has exactly the *opposite* mission of these fundamentalist Christian universities--to value and integrate different traditions. Although one of the ppl in the vid mentions Muslim (and other religions) orgs, I have a pretty good idea of how the same ppl who are targets of this vid would respond if some hard-core ashrams opened in the US and students going *there* could get federal funding?

The worst thing is that there are people - and not just crazy rightwingers - who'll believe this. Why tell the truth when you can lie?

Sharon Van Nest | May 2, 2010 9:25 PM

Now here I thought that a lie was a sin. I guess I was wrong apparently the concept of a lie is what they are all about. If they lie about this simple a concept what else are they telling lies about?
Hmmmm something about pedophiles strikes me as familiar!

Joe-Allen Doty | May 2, 2010 10:24 PM

Tnis is funny; but, it reminds me of something else.

I had earned a BA in Education and a Master of Education from Northeastern State College in Oklahoma in the 1960s.

But, in 1975 I decided to do work in Biblical theology and do it at the Master of Arts level at Oral Roberts University. The degree program was "Theological and Historical Studies."

Every student at ORU was required to take a P.E./Aerobics class each semester and earn so many aerobic points each semester. In the spring of 1977, ORU instituted what I called the "No fat students" rule. I was put on that program.

But, after I left ORU in Dec 77, some students who felt they were discrimated against got the federal government since their tuition and other things were being paid for by Federally guaranteed loans or by the GI Bill.

Well, ORU had to drop that rule because although it is a private independent Christian institution it accepted money from federal government sources on behalf of the students.

Bill Perdue Bill Perdue | May 3, 2010 2:48 AM

The difficulty can be solved by secularizing all cult schools and colleges without compensation.

That'll have the added benefit of cutting way down on the rape of boys and girls by priests, imams, pastors, ministers and rabbis.