Bil Browning

History Repeating: Family Guy goes transphobic

Filed By Bil Browning | May 10, 2010 2:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Entertainment, Transgender & Intersex
Tags: Cleveland Show, ENDA, Family Guy, Propellerheads, Seth McFarlane, Shirley Bassey, transphobia

After watching last night's extremely transphobic Family Guy episode, I'm reminded of the Propellerheads song that features Shirley Bassey.

Once again, Seth McFarlane has resorted to transphobic "humor" in what seems to be an increasingly desperate grasp for ratings. After the Cleveland Show episode that mocked transwomen and featured a character puking for what seemed like an eternity after finding out he had sex with a deceitful trans woman, Family Guy got original. They showed a character puking after finding out he had sex with a deceitful trans woman.

Complete episode and some thoughts after the jump.

Updated at the end of the post. McFarlane thinks "It's probably the most sympathetic portrayal of a transexual character that has ever been on television."

Let me be clear, I'm a huge Family Guy fan. I've seen every episode and my DVR records the show every week so I can watch it again a few days later. That said, I'm considering changing my habits. I just can't stand the ugly level of bigotry that's started coming through my TV screen.

McFarlane has gone from skewering modern America's peculiarities and pop culture to targeting minority groups for ridicule and scorn. While the show has always been edgy and poked at the LGBT community, it was always with a general bonhomie that felt more like he was laughing with us than laughing at us.

"We are deeply disturbed by last night's Family Guy episode, which was really nothing more than a string of anti-gay and anti-trans slurs strung together as if that formed a plot," Mara Kiesling, Executive Director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, told me. "It is true that there are transgender people like Lt. Commander Quagmire, who transitions on the show from Dan to Ida, who served admirably in the US military. Ida points out, 'I'm changing my future, not my past,' and is presented in a somewhat sympathetic way. But the characters around her respond with deep seated prejudice, true immaturity, and a lack of any human empathy."

"It is exactly this kind of cold-hearted behavior that leads to violence, harassment and rejection of transgender people and it isn't funny. And the vomiting on this show is just as disturbing as when the producers tried it on the Cleveland Show. Why people think blatant and outright prejudice is funny, and not the truly ugly thing it really is, is beyond me."

As the Employment Non-Discrimination Act sits stalled in Congress thanks to Blue Dog democrats' unease with the transgender protections so desperately needed, these two episodes play right into the hands of religious conservatives. While McFarlane regularly uses fundamentalists' single minded dedication to prejudice as fodder for jokes, this time he's taken a page straight from their handbook.

While the LGBT community is pushing protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity, the religious right is countering with baseless tales of trans woman ranging from bathroom rape scenarios to deceitful women ensnaring gullible straight men for illicit sexual fantasies. McFarlane plays rights into those memes with these shows.

But it doesn't stop there. While helping to push society's unease and distrust of anyone bending the gender binary, McFarlane goes much further with the puke gags. In essence, he's saying that transgender individuals are so horrendous and such freak shows that to gaze upon their naked bodies will cause the normal heterosexual man to projectile vomit and scrub himself obsessively in the shower.

While I gave GLAAD hell for not stepping out immediately after the Cleveland Show episode aired, the org is on the ball this time. "GLAAD shares the serious concerns being voiced from members of the community and GLAAD's Entertainment Media Team is addressing these with FOX," according to spokesman Rich Ferraro.

Let's hope FOX listens. They sure as hell didn't the last time.

A "Boycott Seth McFarlane and Family Guy" page has been setup on Facebook. I just joined. Sadly, I seem to be the only fan.

UPDATE: Brent Hartinger at AfterElton questions whether or not Seth McFarlane is a complete idiot in a post about this published this morning. Hartinger refers back to an interview the site did with McFarlane in January about the rising level of homophobia and transphobia on his shows.

When we asked him if he ever worries the show crosses the line with its gay humor, he mentioned last night's episode:

Seth MacFarlane: You have ... the [gay] news anchor partners on American Dad, you have Bruce the performance artist on Family Guy, and you have my own personal abhorrence for Prop 8. That always distresses me when I hear that the gay community is upset with us, because that's one group of people I hope would know we're on their side. ... I can safely say that the transsexual community will be very, very happy with the "Quagmire" episode that we have coming up in a couple of months. It's probably the most sympathetic portrayal of a transexual character that has ever been on television, dare I say.

...A male character on the show has sex with a transgender character without her revealing her former-gender... and when he finds out, he spews vomit for thirty seconds, then freaks out while another character compares the transgender person to a sex offender? And MacFarlane thinks the "transsexual" community will be "very, very happy" and that this is the most sympathetic television portrayal of such a character ever?
...
Frankly, it's literally impossible for me to reconcile last night's episode with MacFarlane's words, unless I come to the conclusion that the man is pretty much a complete idiot.

Amen, Brent.

"The most sympathetic portrayal of a transexual character?" Seriously?

If so, it's only because the audience felt sorry for the character by the end of the show since everyone (but Quagmire eventually) was horribly offensive and negative about her very existence.

I don't believe Seth McFarlane is an idiot; that only leaves open the knowledge that he's just, well, prejudiced against trans people. Any idiot can see how degrading this episode was.

If he expects me to swallow that tripe, he'll find I just don't have the stomach for it any more.

GLAAD's Facebook page post about the episode, however, is full of people defending the episode. The moral outrage meter registers me. That's about it.

Recent Entries Filed under Entertainment:

Margaretpoa Margaretpoa | May 10, 2010 2:10 PM

To MacFarlane, sex between a dog and a human woman is okay but sex with a post op woman is nasty, disgusting, disturbing, sick, wrong, etc. He jumped the shark last night. I'll never spend another cent on his work. I'll never waste another second watching it.

I haven't seen this episode and I can't watch Hulu out here, but I'll comment on the show generally....

I've felt that for a lot longer. Ever since the show came back from being off the air, it's been one fag joke after another. "Well, I think you're gay!" HAHAHAHAHAHA "I'm not gay. You're gay, homo!" HAHAHAHAHA

I'd have let them off the hook if it was a few times, but in the fourth season it was like five or six times an episode. There's only so many times that's funny, even to the people who'd find that funny... right?

I knew as soon as I saw the commercial for the episode it was going to be trouble. On his cartoons (and South Park) there seems to be this idea that they can make all the stereotypical and offensive jokes they want about a minority group as long as they end the episode with a speech that "teaches a lesson" and it somehow makes up for previous 21
minutes of insensitivity. I haven't seen the episode, but I'm betting Quagmire gives some speech saying that he finally accepts his father for who he is and loves him anyway. Then emotional moment and swelling music is cutoff by a penis joke.

Margaretpoa Margaretpoa | May 10, 2010 4:36 PM

You'd be wrong. The episode ended with Brian shouting "I (bleeped) your father!" and slamming the door.

But it was how the "Quagmire makes up with Dad/Ida" section went. You gotta admit that. :)

Lilith von Fraumench | May 10, 2010 4:25 PM

Someone please show Seth the Pageantry episode of Picket Fences. THAT is the high-water mark for sympathetic portrayals of trans women on broadcast TV. Anything that involves vomit? Well, well below.

BTW, I'm not exactly fond of Picket Fences. But it was cool how that episode ended.

Here's my take on the episode.

First of all, it doesn't bring anything new to the table, as far as trans-related media goes.

The puking and shower scene is something Ace Ventura already did, and even if it was transphobic, it was still funnier.

Okay, so Brian got 'trapped' by what is actually a MAN, ha ha ha ha ha. I can imagine the groans of disgust in every household last night as the men watched Brian have sex with *BARF* a trickster DECEIVER and sympathize with him, then roll their eyes at the contrived sympathy Quagmire showed towards his dad.

Am I the only one who found it ironic that Brian was the one who got a severe beating for having sex with a trans woman, or am I reading too deeply into a level of 'humor' that isn't existent in the show?

I was personally not offended by the episode, but it doesn't change that it wasn't funny and it was still terribly done.

I look at Brian having been beaten as less a consequence of having sex with a trans person and more having sex with the parent of someone he knew.

How would you feel if a friend of yours had sex with one of your parents?

I can't help but notice how many of the comments on GLAAD's facebook page are folks saying it's not a big deal, it doesn't have a huge impact, and we should ignore it. If they really thought that way about bigoted media representations, why are they hanging out on GLAAD's page!?!

More realistically, they just don't think it's a big deal when trans people are the target.

HJTravels | May 10, 2010 6:38 PM

I don't have any problems with the Tranny Episode. I tolerate them because we are all expected to. What I don't like it being grouped with them. LGBT? Trannies, like the one on Family Guy, are straight people not Gay or Lesbian. They are straight! I like my fellow human just as much as the next guy, but when I'm grouped with these people just because they have problems also, that's where I have to draw the line.

Family Guy is very funny, this season hasn't been as good as many others, I think they are just trying to get a some new controversy, but I don't think that Seth or Family Guy in general has anything against the Gay or Lesbian community. I'll still keep watching until I see otherwise.

Margaretpoa Margaretpoa | May 10, 2010 10:29 PM

"Tranny"? That tells me all I need to know about you and why you had no problem with it.

"Tranny episode", "What I don't like it(is) being grouped with them.", "Trannies", "grouped with these people just because they have problems also, that's where I have to draw the line."

Well, fuck you very much travels. Could you get over your bigotry if you knew I was lesbian AND tranny? Or is that just confusing? Christ, and I thought we had problems with the bible-thumpers.

Hurling profanities doesn't make an argument. He didn't say that he hated anyone, just that he didn't agree with being lumped in with a group that he doesn't belong to. I agree with him.

While there may be some gay transgendereds, that doesn't mean transgenderism is equivalent to, or belongs in the same term, as gay. There are gay lawyers, criminals, doctors, homeowners etc. Just b/c some are gay doesn't mean we change the name of our community to include all lawyers, criminals, doctors, homeowners, etc. Ditto for transgendereds.

Sorry Susan, but the first epithet was thrown when Travels chose the term "trannies".

And it was no casual reference, witnessed by the derision which followed and the obvious ignorance he exhibited. The difference between Travels and me, is that I would no sooner call him(?) a fa**ot as I would call a black person a ni**er, no matter how they identify themselves. The word "tranny" when used by the likes of him is a vulgarity to me, and I grant him no license to use it against me.

Kind of makes me sad, the time I've spent defending his right to be respected as gay, when he is so cavalier about my right to be respected as trans.

Wow. You are the epitome of tact. Many trans people are gay, lesbian, bi, and yes, even straight, just like many cis people can be gay, lesbian, bi, or straight. But of course, you personally know every trans person and know for a fact that all of them are unequivocally straight. Just like all gay men are flamboyant and all lesbians are butch. Ri-i-ight.

We are all 'gender offenders'(thank my MS brain for lack of a better phrase)in one way or another, and we all face discrimination for being different, with our trans sisters and brothers getting a double dose for not only being trans but for also being gay. Gaining equality is a shared struggle that could be made easier if we all worked together instead of against each other.

battybattybats battybattybats | May 11, 2010 9:24 AM

You think all transgender people are 'straight' wow your missinformed. There are transgender people of all sexual orientations.

your right I am trans,and I to don't like being thrown in under the gay umbrella , being called a gay fagot really upsets me.

As a transwoman and a long time fan of the show I actually wasn't offended terribly at the show. The characters in the show itself are basically you common everyday ignorant American. Ida was a rather sympathetic character, and personally I can say that the reaction Quagmire had is basically the same crap I am dealing with personally with my family and what many of the other transpeople I know are going through also. With time Quagmire came around and showed some decency towards his parent (of course they made a penis joke, it's who quagmire is.) I know that most hetero-normative men in this country and world couldn't handle being with me pre-op as I am or possibly even post because our society has taught them that there is only binary gender and to stray outside of that or even to have sex with someone who is of the same biological sex is homosexual and that this is also bad. The character of Brian is one of those liberal by guilt types for gods sake. I recall in one of the recent episodes where he said he voted McCain, not exactly something that anyone I know is is ACTUALLY liberal minded would have done.

Yes there were offensive parts, but considering the overall lack of actually sympathetic trans characters out there I'll take what I can get especially when the character who were being offensive were over the top with their offenses as to make one think "I'd never do that" that overall I'd chalk it up as a win.

My girlfriend and I love Seth MacFarlane and we're both fans of satire, and we both had the same reaction to this episode. It was awful.

What I find really surprising is the number of people on GLAAD's Facebook page that don't understand that show is supposed to be satire. It's not supposed to be offensive, but rather mock what is offensive.

I don't think Seth MacFarlane is transphobic, nor do I think he's a total idiot...but he may well be an idiot when it comes to what trans people experience. Satire is sort of a hit or miss thing, and he missed it...he missed it horribly. He just failed. He offended the wrong people and made the wrong people laugh.

Proper satire would've been for Lois to mock Brian's adverse reaction to sleeping with a transsexual woman, not to mock that he unknowingly slept with someone who used to be a man.

Another satirical scenario would've been to show Brian having no issue with Ida being transsexual while the other characters attempted to make him feel transphobic. (That would actually be more in character for Brian.)

I don't think the episode stressed Quagmire's acceptance enough. Quagmire really doesn't respect women, that's the gist of the character. He's a sexist womanizer. So for him to care that Brian slept with Ida is a big deal. It was just way too subtle even for someone who is really familiar with the characters.

"But the characters around her respond with deep seated prejudice, true immaturity, and a lack of any human empathy."

Being transgender, I would have found it far more insulting and patronizing for Family Guy to disregard the ignorant responses we are commonly subjected to when coming out. This program is constantly offensive and not PC which is why I generally avoid it. I made sure to look this episode up before making a judgment. I was most bothered by the lazy recycling of the "Oh no I slept with a transwoman" vomit gag. All of the slurs were not something I wanted to hear but that is because Family Guy is not the type of program I support.

I'm slightly conflicted. The reactions of most of the main characters--Lois, Peter, Brian, Stewie, etc--was horribly, inexcusably offensive. There is absolutely no way that those jokes were in good taste. Even some offhand comments, such as Lois saying "have fun at the circus" on the way to the character's sex-change operation can be construed as offensive.

On the other hand, I thought that the scenes between Quagmire and Ida were absolutely brilliant. They reminded me of the scenes between Kurt and Burt Hummel on Glee; the non-LGBT character is uncomfortable and completely the opposite, but ultimately accepting. The fights were realistic and very human. Quagmire's main issue seems to be that his father didn't tell him, and he immediately defends Lois and Peter's assumptions about "gay=transgender" even when he himself is uncomfortable. That aspect of the episode was very well-done.

Therefore, I would call this episode ONE OF the most offensive and awful Family Guy episodes, as opposed to THE most offensive. The scenes between the two Quagmires made it mildly bearable.

I'll admit I felt the same way. Ida is portrayed as a sympathetic character and Quagmire's relationship with her is redeeming in the end. But I just can't overlook all of the not-so-hidden messages that the rest of the storyline broadcast loud and clear.

Let's have an episode where someone projectile vomits over having sex with someone "passing for white" shall we?

One where they throw away the food that a "Nigra" has made as being contaminated? And talk about how Blacks are really Animals, and don't they have to register or something?

Real Funny.

Margaretpoa Margaretpoa | May 10, 2010 10:39 PM

Hear! Hear! I always tell people to replace the word trans with black or Jew in their little jokes and tell me if they're still funny. People can rationalize their bigotry all they want but it's still bigotry. There is no difference between a racist and a sexual bigot. None.

That wouldn't be unusual for Family Guy. It portrays overt racism, antisemitism, misogyny, homophobia and every stereotype in the book to expose how absurd those things are.

We're not at a point in history where one can exaggerate transphobia to a degree where it becomes absurd. Because we all know vomiting isn't the worst transphobic reaction a person can have. So ironically, it's because transphobia isn't like all the other "isms" that made it so offensive.

Margaretpoa Margaretpoa | May 10, 2010 10:34 PM

Is it just me or is nobody else disturbed that the ANIMAL who has sex with the trans woman is the one who is vomiting and showering, yet nobody is bothered by the fact that the trans woman had sex with an animal? I mean Human and animal having sex = okay while anybody having sex with a trans woman = sick? WTF?

OMG, that's what I said to Rich Ferraro from GLAAD when we talked on the phone, Margaret.

It's okay for a dog to f--k a woman, but even a dog would puke uncontrollably if he found out he was "tricked" into having sex with a transwoman. That's the message being sent loud and clear.

That was meant to be ironic. I'm not defending though, it was poorly executed irony.

I think it's important to consider how the general audience views the characters on "Family Guy" before making a claim that Seth MacFarlane is an idiot.

A completely trans-positive episode would never have flown with the people who watch the show. There's no humor in it, and it's a topic that the general public seems to know little about. In fact, the genius of the episode may be that the show's creators introduce traces of trans issues while acknowledging the biases that many cis people have. When Peter and Lois brush off Quagmire's distinction between "trans" and "gay," they are clearly wrong and ignorant, especially given Ida's simple clarification that she is not gay but is a woman trapped in a man's body. For people who have never given those concepts much thought, it could provide a starting point for understanding if they choose not to be as dumb as Peter and Lois.

Similarly, the dinner scene is loaded with inappropriate questions, but they're questions that likely cross people's minds. By getting them out there, people get to laugh in private at their own discomfort and also get answers to questions that they would never feel comfortable enough to get from a trans person. Seth MacFarlane is actually tricking people into having an open dialogue about something that they might not otherwise discuss.

Picture the conversations that might happen as a result of this episode. Something like, "Dude, actually, guys who become women aren't gay. I saw this 'Family Guy' episode where Quagmire's dad tells him he's going to become a woman," or, "They don't actually chop off the penis." Not sure if either of those points are major, and they're certainly not the most enlightened takes on trans issues, but, again, it's a place to start.

Finally, is it offensive to show a guy (well, a dog, but an anthropomorphic dog) vomiting after he discovers that the amazing woman he slept with is trans? Perhaps, but most cis men who watch the show would probably expect that because they would do the same. Hopefully some will catch the sadness in the fact that Brian found someone he connected with, had sex with her without issue, and threw it all away because of something that, but for Stewie's gossip, might never have come up. The shower scene seemed all the more absurd because the audience knows how good a person Ida is, and I think it was meant to be viewed as such.

The episode had some offensive moments, but I think that most of them were in the interest of getting the audience to laugh at themselves for their prejudices and give thought to what it means to be trans. Not everyone will get that message, but they are the ones who probably never will.

Thanks for your take on it, Sean. You make a lot of sense. I thought the episode was pretty funny up until the vomiting and the beating, which just confused me. Those scenes didn't make me laugh, not because I was offended but because I just didn't get what was supposed to be funny about them.

I definitely agree with this post. I found this blog while googling to see the reaction to the episode. Ida's treatment was by far one of the more positive treatments of a character in Family Guy recently. The character herself was a decent person who knew what she wanted. It was all the people around her that were collapsing.

It's naive to believe that out of a diverse cast, all of them would be accepting of something they hadn't been exposed to before. Especially since that's kinda how Family Guy rolls.

battybattybats battybattybats | May 11, 2010 9:43 PM

"It's naive to believe that out of a diverse cast, all of them would be accepting of something they hadn't been exposed to before."

You know, often reality isn't the way we assume it would be. Because I was expecting many people to react negatively when i came out but i've had almost 0% negative reaction from people. Of all my family and friends there's been only 1 negative reaction and a fairly mild one at that. Both parents supportive, heck my Dad has been outright Encouraging. I even got my photo taken with the guy dressed as Batman at Warner Brothers Movieworld in the holidays and he gave me a thumbs up later in the day when he saw me again. I have had tremendously positive responses from most people and ordinary respectful responses from almost all the rest.

The major transphobes are as far as i can tell a small loud minority that fool people into thinking they are the majority.

ellysabeth | May 11, 2010 12:10 PM

Screw this episode, screw Family Guy, and screw MacFarlane. I had to sit through a meeting at work yesterday in which the topic of this episode was brought up by an old friend/coworker. Everyone had a good laugh. Screw also: my friend, my coworkers, the "stealth" lifestyle, and me. ):

twinkie1cat | May 11, 2010 1:17 PM

I rarely watch Family Guy because it is so filthy and also because of the consistent persecution of Meg. The episode, which I watched because of the trailers, started off very transpositive, but dengenerated into its usual nastiness to get ratings. And why did she have to have sex with the dog?! It should have been a human, Chris maybe. The vomiting was totally overdone and reminded me of the that Jim Carey movie.

If Seth McFarland wants to improve his ratings, he needs to put some positivity in his gay portrayals and he will gain a lot of fans. While Peter is too stupid to accept gay people, his wife is not. McFarland needs look at THE SIMPSONS for cues as to how to portray gay people. He does not have to be nasty.

Whether the Simpsons or Family Guy, the issue at hand is trans characters, not gay ones. And even if the simpsons gay characters are portrayed well, their portrayal of trans characters has been similarly distasteful.

In There's Something About Marrying, Patty came out as a lesbian and fell in love with a woman who was later revealed as a trans woman (who only transitioned in order to get into a Ladies golf tournament). When Marge rips away the trans womans clothes to reveal her trans status Patty is significantly disturbed. No over the top vomiting scene, but when the trans woman asks if Patty would still marry her, they queue the happy music with a you-go-girl attitude as Patty shouts "Hell no," and the trans woman is ridiculed off the screen.

Honestly, that felt like much more of a punch to the gut, perhaps in part because I wasn't expecting it and the episode was billed as LGb(t) positive. And that's the only trans representation I can remember from the simpsons aside from one-liner jokes mocking "he-shes" and crossdressing.

You know it is ironic really. The outrage over a cartoon really takes me back to the mid-eighties and all the Christian Moral Majority outrage over music and evil cartoons.

here is an idea, perhaps turn the channel, boycot the advertisers, but geesh lighten up please, it is totally toxic to obsess over a television show that mocks everyone and everything on a most regular basis.

From some of the comments here it seems like some would prefer a law against such humor.

Because to me, in the end, the show merely is a fun-house mirror reflection of society, and that is where the root issue lies.

The solution in my mind is to educate people, not ban things we find offensive.

Alli, you might need to check your internet connection; you seem to have come to this thread from the alternate dimension where the thread is filled with people calling for legal action against Seth McFarlane. In THIS dimension, we're just calling out how aggressively cruel and problematic the episode was and calling bullshit on McFarlane's mistaken belief that this was a sympathetic portrayal of trans people.

In fact, his idea that this was sympathetic was so off the mark that it is possible he himself was recently switched with his counterpart in your universe; perhaps you two should compare notes?

Okay... so from another post-op's P.O.V. here's my take. I just finished watching the episode on Hulu. Personally, I think Seth is right. I do think this is a very sympathetic and correct portrayal or a transsexual character on T.V.

Ida, herself, was ABSOLUTELY lovely. She was complimentary and cordial to everyone. She tried to help people understand and even invited people she had met only once to a big night of her life. Even when Glenn himself was upset and voiced his issues about his own happiness, Ida (albeit hurt) understood and left so that Glenn could have his space.

From an objective story-point view, I have to say Ida is someone I would have definitely called "friend."

Now as to the other characters, I think Seth was simply holding a mirror up to society and saying, "See? This is how dumb you all look." It's a VERY subtle point, but it IS there. That's always been the problem though, subtlety. I think maybe more background on Ida as a person (either prior to surgery or even after), would have proven to lend more weight to her as a person and would have made the insensitive comments from the other characters even worse, driving the point home even further. But even that is a bit much to ask for from a 22 minute comedy-based cartoon.

Look, you want the world to SEE what they're doing to us, right? Well, this is actually a pretty good snapshot of that.

I admit that I also didn't laugh that much... I was honestly marveling at the truth of it all and found it to be somewhat refreshing. The only place I did have a good chuckle WAS during the vomit scene... not because of Brian's reaction... but because of Stewie's reaction to Brian's reaction. It was classic watching Stewie trying to decide if he wanted to stay and watch the train-wreck, risking getting vomit on himself, vs. getting the hell out of there. :)

As to the nay-sayers... I appreciate your point of view, too and I understand it. I've felt that way myself. I had a big problem with "Ms. Mann" from Scary Movie back in the day. But I've gotten over that and admitted that THAT was actually meant to be satire of a transsexual. One thing we all must admit is that we're not all Greta Garbo look-a-likes. :)

I also am glad to hear people's outrage because it means there is still sensitivity to an issue that needs more exposure. I would ask, though, that you look at it more from a human point of view than one colored by gender-bias alone. Remember, in the same way that not all transsexuals consider themselves "straight" or "gay" ... not all of them have chosen a gender so much as chosen an expression.

Peace,
Jenna

The problem is, people already KNOW what they're doing to us. It goes unquestioned and totally accepted.

Family Guy's style of humor only works when it mistreats groups that society has already deemed worthy of acceptance. But absent that greater acceptance (as is the case with trans people), the end result is just kicking us while we're down.