Joe.My.God scored an interview with Jo-Vanni Roman, the 20 year old escort who accompanied anti-gay activist George Rekers on a 10-day European trip. I've had many conversations with Joe - both online and off - and if there's one gay blogger best suited to do the interview, it's Joe.
His casual style and quiet yet forceful activism is exactly what the escort's story needs. He says in the post that the interview was unplanned and very conversational. In a blogosphere full of bitchy queer bloggers calling the kid a "whore," "hooker," and "trash," it's strangely comforting knowing that Joe will stay focused on Rekers rather than judging the escort.
The highlights include:
- Rekers told Roman he was a child psychologist. It wasn't until after the story broke that he discovered Rekers was a well known anti-gay crusader.
- Other than one conversation about "all morality being from God," there wasn't any religious conversation between the two.
- Roman gave Rekers erotic massages, but the two never had sex even though Rekers was obviously aroused. "He was definitely totally gay for me," says Roman.
- Roman doesn't know who tipped off the Miami News Times.
- He and Rekers have talked since the trip was exposed.
The Washington Post also has a bizarre e-mail sent to the reporter by Rekers who still denies that Roman was anything more than a travel assistant. The e-mail references the conversation between the two after returning from Europe, but spins it in a completely different direction.