Dr. Jillian T. Weiss

Salvaging ENDA: Can You Help?

Filed By Dr. Jillian T. Weiss | May 25, 2010 11:30 AM | comments

Filed in: Politics, Politics
Tags: Employment Non-Discrimination Act, ENDA

As you know, ENDA was recently put off until mid-June or July, while DADT repeal goes full speed ahead. That gives us a bit more time to look into ENDA holdouts in the House.

There are some who are never going to vote for ENDA, even if the entire LGBT population of their District rose up and held week long demonstrations.

But there are some who really are quite salvageable. ENDA is on the ropes, and even a few more friends in Congress would make the difference. I know some people in several districts where we could make a difference, and I'm working on that.

But there are a few states where I just don't know anyone. If you're from one of these states, and are willing to help on ENDA, please contact me. If you know of a statewide organization I can contact, please contact me.

You can email me at jillian@bilerico.com

Those states, and what's happening after the jump.

Here are the states where I need help. If you yourself are willing to help, or know of a state organization or LGBT media source I can contact, please let me know at jillian@bilerico.com

Arizona
Colorado
Illinois
New Hampshire
Tennessee
Texas (southwest)
Utah
West Virginia

What's happening is that we have lots of supporters in Congress. But the Republicans are determined that we not succeed. They have targeted certain Democrats pretty effectively, and we have too.

But some Dems, as you know, are in districts where the teabaggers can get rowdy. They need a shot in the arm to know that voting for ENDA is the right thing to do.

I feel certain that if we talk to those Democrats, and they know we're behind them, we can make a difference.

Thank you for any help you can give.

I don't belong to any state organization or media group but is there anything I can do to help from the Tennessee 3rd?

Rep. Zach Wamp is not changeable.

Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. (Nov 2007)

Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)

Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)

Voted YES on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999)

Wamp is a conservative Republican and 78% of the 3rd District is anti-LGBT. Wamp is also a Baptist, 92% of Baptists are anti-LGBT.

Stonewall Girl Stonewall Girl | June 19, 2010 7:25 PM

Jeffy contact Marisa Richmond and the Tennessee political transgender group, they should be on top of it. they work with LGB folks

Actually, the statewide trans org in AZ was at my home last night.

That said, there are several orgs you can contact and I will forward them to you.

Jayne A Maynes | May 25, 2010 6:21 PM

Sent an email with info on the LGBT orgs in Utah. Since I don't live there any longer I felt it best to give you information for someone who does and who takes an active roll in the community there.

Bill Perdue | May 25, 2010 7:00 PM

The only way for people to help is to acknowledge that inclusion of gender identity is killing the entire bill and to do the decent thing and let it go.

But sacrifice and decency only flow one way in this strange, artificial marriage of gay people and largely heterosexual "trans" people. Gay people are expected to risk the legislation and expend time and resources for the benefit of cross dressers who want to use the bathroom of the opposite sex. But when it becomes clear that the only options are gay-only ENDA or nothing at all, there is no call for trans people to make a sacrifice and allow millions of gay employees to be protected. Trans activists would rather see all gay people left with nothing b/c they know that it would be more difficult to pass a follow-on trans-only bill. The concept of "taking one for the team" doesn't apply to our so-called trans allies.

So there you have it in a nutshell: gay sacrifice and trans selfishness. This isn't a partnership. It is a parasitic relationship. Gay people are in a "community" with transgendereds in the same way the gastrointestinal system is in a community with a tapeworm. If nothing else comes out of this fiasco, we should realize that this fake community should end.

Stonewall Girl Stonewall Girl | May 26, 2010 12:31 AM

OMG! My 8 yr relationship with my "gay" partner must come to an end because I'm a transgender American and she is not! I'm a parasite who worked for Domestic partnerships for gay couples and later for civil unions and marriage .... but I'm a parasite, a tapeworm ... oh no, how could that be!!!

I worked to elect gay and lesbian office holders, served on host committees and co chairs, even led organizations that had gays, lesbians, transgenders and straights working together.... oh no, tell me it wasn't the right thing to do!! I crossed the line recruiting people for LGBT unity? What about those good LGB and straight folks following the leadership of a T person. Should they be ostracized?

Somebody ... please, gimme a break! No wonder there has been relatively so little progress over the years.

polargirl360 | May 26, 2010 5:18 AM

You are obviously a moron to think that LGB political groups or the queer community is pushing this hard just so they can maintain solidarity with transsexuals. They don't give a shit about them and would even sacrifice real minority members of the queer community for the good of the majority if they thought that would bring more rights to most of their people.

The problem is: almost 70% of queers self-identify as "gender non-conforming" or transgender in some way or another. The ability of LGB political groups to draw an arbitrary boundary line on how non-conforming is gender before they are willing to drop LGB members for the good of the rest of the community cannot be made.

There are no human laws that can get around this law of nature. You are stuck with transsexuals and even intersexed people politically whether you like it or not. The only thing you can do is break the delusion that LGBTI is a common integrated social community. Many transsexuals would support that if you did.

You know, Bill, I don't mind your constant harping that Democrats are as bad as Republicans when it comes to LGBT rights. In fact, while I don't go as far as you do, I tend to agree with you in most cases.

This, however, is beneath you. If you want all the politicians to stand in solidarity with us, you should be willing to do the same.

Bill, its pretty sad that we have to keep having this flare up as a community in 2010. The trans and gay communities are inextricably linked like siblings--there are differences, but there will always be a bond, a history and a kinship. The LGBT community is lost without any one piece of the puzzle. Equality isn't truly equality unless its equality for all.

And you'd be foolish to think that if "gender identity" protections weren't stripped from the bill it wouldn't be used against gay men and lesbians too. When you're queer, you're a little genderqueer too. In some ways, you are likely gender non-conforming.

There are MANY ways that I am gender non-conforming. As such if an employer became uncomfortable with me because he learned I'm queer, and was barred for firing me because I'm queer, but not because of gender identity, he'd make a pretty quick and easy case of saying I can't conform to gender norms and, therefore, am unfit for the job. I'm not trans, and yet stripping the gender protections from ENDA could leave me just as vulnerable to be axed as I was before. We need to make it airtight. We need it to come down to job performance, period.

Jill, I'm in Illinois, and I want to help!

Camp from Michigan is a Conservative Republican, and has already written me back to tell me that he opposes things like ENDA, Hate Crimes and so on. So I doubt further efforts on my part will bear any fruit.

We've been working on Camp for years. In fact, I was the first person to get Camp to agree to sit down and meet with the LGBT community to discuss our issues. Until he sat down with me and my friends--a meeting MONTHS in the making--he denied even HAVING any gay people in his district. I was supposed to be joined by the Log Cabins in my meeting--they backed out at the last minute. So here I was, a silly little 22 year old activist trying his hardest to lead a meeting with Camp.

He was extremely polite, but he was clear--he was not going to come around for our community.

There are reasons why you SHOULD keep working on Camp, though. There are reasons why he might SOME DAY come around. Keep the dialog open. Be cordial but firm. Eventually, some day, the world will be a bit different, he will finally be able to be honest with himself, and he'll start doing the right thing.