Bil Browning

Contest: You don't have to be single to win!

Filed By Bil Browning | June 29, 2010 7:30 PM | comments

Filed in: Contests
Tags: Christopher Isherwood

Today I've got one Blu-Ray copy of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's film A Single Man to giveaway to a lucky Projector.

Single_Man_Box_art.jpgA SINGLE MAN is based on the novel of the same name by Christopher Isherwood. Set in Los Angeles in 1962, at the height of the Cuban missile crisis, it is the story of a British college professor (Colin Firth) who is struggling to find meaning to his life after the death of his long time partner. The story is a romantic tale of love interrupted, the isolation that is an inherent part of the human condition, and, ultimately, the importance of the seemingly smaller moments in life.

2009 Critics' Choice Awards nominations include Colin Firth (Best Actor), Julianne Moore (Best Actress), Best Screenplay and Best Art Direction. 2010 Golden Globe nominations include Colin Firth (Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama), Julianne Moore (Best Performance by an Actress In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture) and Best Original Score - Motion Picture.

To win the movie, leave a comment on this post. You have to live in the United States, you can't be a Bilerico blogger, and you'll need to tell us whether or not you're single. Contest closes on Tuesday, June 29 at midnight Eastern time.

Recent Entries Filed under Contests:

I wanted to see this in theaters and never got the chance!

I am currently in the middle of Isherwood's novel A Meeting By The River which is an interesting look at two brothers writing and visiting each other after years of not talking. I also read his novel The World in the Evening last year and would recommend it.

Lastly, I am not single. My girlfriend of six years proposed to me last month.

Want to see this one!
Not single but not married (when did life get so confusing?)...

Currently single, but just started seeing a terrific guy and hopeful that my status will change soon!

I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't heard about this film until now. However, I am aware of Isherwood's collections of short stories, and am quite fond of a number of them. The affinity I already feel toward the title, A Single Man, is due, in part, to my own status as a single gay man. Then, there's the awful realization that the sublime description of the narrative above yields the experience of looking in a mirror and, too late (much), discovering it's a mirror comprised of two sides and someone has been looking on upon the dross that is my life for far too long. Nonetheless, the film sounds spectacular. In the capable hands of Colin Firth, I'm no less than certain that the story progresses effortlessly. One may even develop a sense of empathy for the protagonist's travails, as I may for my own life.

Rodney Hoffman | June 28, 2010 11:53 AM

I read and enjoyed the book decades ago. I did see the movie -- very well-acted, a bit excessive in its style and sets and costumes (understandable given the director).

I'm coupled, but living apart -- I'm in a long-term binational relationship.

This single guy would like to see the video.

Mighty Max | June 28, 2010 12:45 PM

This was a really good movie, and book.

Like Jessica above, not single but not married.

I'm neither single nor married, although I am engaged.

And I have a mailing address in Washington State. That counts, right?

i am happily un-single, but sure do love mister firth and mister isherwood. and i would be ever so excited to boast THIS movie as my first bluray ever.

ps texas counts as the united states, right?

Not at all single. Been with my partner for 11 years. I saw this movie and really liked it but had tears on myface many various times!

Oh, I really wanted to see this in the theatres too!

I am single!
I don't have a copy of this film!

I'm really hoping one of those two things will change tomorrow.

My partner and I have been together seven years this month, registered as domestic partners nearly two years ago, and had a commitment ceremony six months ago.

We've been wanting to see this film, but on several occasions have elected not to view it separately because we really want to watch it together.

Kirk Lammert | June 29, 2010 2:36 AM

My partner and I have been together for 12 years now and still going strong!

celebrated 25 years with the same guy on May 10, 2010...no longer understand the word "single"

Abhishek Duggal | June 29, 2010 4:19 AM

tell us whether or not you're single

The book was great but I haven't seen the movie. I am single but looking.

kisses

Carla

I didn't get the opportunity to see this movie when it was released.
Why? Because my husband and I have a 4-year old, and we just don't get out to the movie theaters that often. (Unless the movie will appeal to a 4-year old).
Thanks.

One! Singular! Sensation!

Love this movie and would love to see it again! Yes I'm single ever since my beloved of 14 years passed in '94. Also I had the good fortune to meet Isherwood at a book signing in West Hollywood decades ago. A charming man.

david goetz | June 29, 2010 6:25 PM

I am divorsed and now single, out and very happy with my life. I've seen this movie, love to see it again with my Men's discussion group. There is so much that goes on in this movie and Tom Ford's attention to every detail makes for one enjoyable evening of movie watching. The acting was incredible.

spigliatezza | June 29, 2010 7:48 PM

I am indeed unmarried, unattached, not in a relationship, and in all other ways single.
And I want to see the movie...Colin Firth, hooray!

Kept mixing this one up with A Serious Man and ended up seeing neither. I am currently single.

Wilson46201 | June 29, 2010 8:10 PM

I'm single, have read almost all of Isherwood's works, I pressed the buttons at WISH-TV which put the Cuban Missile Crisis on the air in Indianapolis and although not an English professor, English is my native language.
P.S. I also own two Blu-Ray players

Ervin Gainer | June 29, 2010 8:34 PM

Not single, but not married! I've wanted to see this movie!!! I feelin' lucky! : )

Not eligible, but taking the opportunity of pointing out that I'm single... and available... :-)

A. J. Lopp | June 30, 2010 2:21 PM

Guess I missed the dealine ... drat!

How can you discuss this movie without mentioning that it was written (the screenplay, I mean) and directed by fashion designer Tom Ford.

I am single. Tom Ford is not. Funny how that works.

A. J. Lopp | June 30, 2010 2:23 PM