After Bil and I put together our list of the top LGBTQ news stories of 2010, I thought it'd be a good idea to go back and remember of the less-noticed stories as well as some of the details of those bigger stories that may have slipped through the cracks.
A quiz of 2010 LGBTQ news is after the jump. It's 14 questions long so it'll only take a few minutes. Pull out notepad or something to write on, stay out of Google, and then tell us how you did in the comments.
I drew every question from a Bilerico post in 2010, so if you don't do well, then clearly you're not spending enough time on Bilerico.
1. Early in George Rekers' career, there was a feminine boy Rekers thought he turned masculine through positive and negative reinforcement, a boy he called his "poster boy for behavioral treatment of boyhood effeminacy." What happened to this poster boy?
A. He grew up and lives quietly with his wife and children.
B. He attempted suicide, fearing that he was gay.
C. He left his parents' house at 18, came out, and now fights to expose ex-gay quackery.
D. He became a spokesperson for ex-gay therapy.
E. We don't know, no follow-up was done on this study.
2. Which of the following was not a finding in Vaughn Walker's decision in Perry v. Schwarzenegger?
A. There is a history of discrimination against gay men and lesbians.
B. Proposition 8 singled out gay men and lesbians for mistreatment.
C. Proposition 8 infringes on the individual's right to freedom of association.
D. Sexual orientation discrimination is equivalent to sex discrimination.
E. The state had no "rational basis" to restrict marriage to opposite-sex couples.
3. For what reason did Dan Choi say he staged his hunger strike?
A. DADT repeal failed to get a vote in the House.
B. DADT repeal failed to get a vote in the Senate.
C. Republican leadership promised to thwart DADT repeal.
D. DADT repeal was taken off the Defense Authorization Bill.
E. The DADT repeal compromise was inadequate.
4. What is GetEQUAL co-director Robin McGehee's salary?
5. How many openly gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender US Representatives will there be in the 112th Congress?
6. Who didn't come out this year?
A. Cabaret artist Amanda Palmer
B. Country musician Chely Wright
C. Rock keyboardist Rostam Batmanglij
D. Pop singer Ricky Martin
E. Christian music singer/songwriter Jennifer Knapp
7. Which Republican Senator did not vote for DADT repeal (the actual vote, not the cloture vote) when it finally passed in December?
A. Dick Lugar
B. Susan Collins
C. Olympia Snowe
D. Mark Kirk
E. Scott Brown
8. After defending his decision to hire an outed anti-gay quack to testify against gay adoption in a state-level challenge, Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum decided to:
A. Appeal the District Court of Appeals ruling on gay adoption on a technicality, not substance, which effectively legalizes gay adoption
B. Appeal the District Court of Appeals ruling on gay adoption, an appeal which will happen in 2011
C. Not appeal the District Court of Appeals ruling on gay adoption, letting the lower court's decision against gay adoption stand
D. Not appeal the District Court of Appeals ruling on gay adoption, effectively legalizing gay adoption
E. Not appeal the District Court of Appeals ruling on gay adoption because he was resigning to campaign for the governor's office
9. What is PrEP?
A. Prefontaine and Ella Phentz, a San Francisco-based lesbian disco duo
B. Providing for Equal Participation, a California-based LGBT organization focused on helping people of color get involved with the movement
C. Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis, a possible means of fighting HIV/AIDS
D. Prepared for Every Possum-bility, a new Logo reality show about gay scouts
E. Prosopolethical Enunciations and Potentialities, a book by Judith Butler published this year
10. Among the proposed changes for the Fifth Edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders presented in February was a suggestion to rename "Gender Identity Disorder." What was that new name?
A. Gender Identity Disease
B. Gender Incongruence
D. Sexual Confusion Disorder
11. For the first time in a long-running poll question, Gallup found in 2010 that a majority of Americans:
A. Favor same-sex marriage
B. Believe same-sex relations are morally acceptable
C. Oppose discrimination against LGBT people
D. Have been attracted to someone of the same sex
E. Know someone who is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender
12. What was the name of the right-wing organization Target donated to that raised a ruckus from LGBT activists?
A. Tom Emmer for Governor
B. The Minnesota Family Association
C. The American Enterprise Institute
D. Minnesota Forward
E. The Minnesota Family Institute
13. The Tea Party take-over of the GOP in Texas changed the party's platform. What did the new platform include?
A. A constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and an end to all anti-discrimination legislation
B. A ban on sodomy and prison for people who participate in same-sex wedding ceremonies
C. Funding to research ex-gay therapy and lighter sentencing for hate crimes
D. A ban on any mention of homosexuality in school or university curriculums
E. A poorly-defined ban on "depraved" art and an end to gay adoption
14. Match the people with what they did:
A. Steven Monjeza
B. Vandy Beth Glenn
C. Seth Walsh
D. Greg Gutfeld
E. Lisa Miller
F. Caitlin Breedlove
i. Imprisoned on the accusation of homosexuality
ii. Proposed a "Muslim gay bar" in lower Manhattan
iii. Went ex-gay, kidnapped her/his and her/his partner's daughter, and fled to Central America
iv. Got kicked out of a strip mall for kissing her/his partner
v. Committed suicide after relentless bullying
vi. Won a federal suit against the state of Georgia, which fired her/him for transitioning
And now a big picture of Ongina to keep you from accidentally scrolling to the answers.
1. B, from a post by Alex Blaze
2. C, from posts by Nan Hunter and Jillian Weiss
3. E, from a post by Bil Browning
4. D, from a guest post by GetEQUAL Managing Director Heather Cronk
5. E, from a post by Alex Blaze
6. A, from Queer music Friday posts on Chely Wright, Vampire Weekend, Ricky Martin, Dresden Dolls, and Jennifer Knapp
7. A, from a post by Bil Browning
8. C, from a post by Nadine Smith
9. C, from a post by Karen Ocamb
10. B, from a post by Kelley Winters
11. B, from a post by Bil Browning
12. D, from a post by Alex Blaze
13. B, from a post by Alex Blaze
A. i (source)
B. vi (source)
C. v (source)
D. ii (source)
E. iii (source)
F. iv (source)
Give yourself one point for each one you got right and one for each in the matching section. Post your score out of 20 in the comments so we can see how everyone did.