An unidentified woman from New Zealand is proof that not only are hickeys uncouth, but they can be dangerous to your health. The woman was sitting in a chair watching television after having sex when her left arm became paralyzed. She was rushed to the hospital, but her only injury was a hickey on the right side of her neck.
"Because it was a lovebite there would be a lot of suction. Because of the physical trauma it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel," said Wu. "There was a clot in the artery underneath where the hickey was."
The clot had gone into the woman's heart and caused a minor stroke that led to the loss of movement, he said.
When I was a teenager, my mom would always say, "You're gonna give me a stroke coming home looking like that!" when I'd show up after a night of necking with love bites on my neck. Little did she know...