WBTV in Charlotte, NC, noticed that there was gay sex going on in their town. Outrage ensues (text version at link):
Here's the title of the story:
Internet Site Links Charlotte To Gay Sex
The silliness of this report obliges me to point out a few things to these journalists, who might not be familiar with either men or the concept of sex.
- Independent of what any "internet site" says, there is gay sex going on in Charlotte.
- People will have sex. Laws, education, arrests, violence, religion, and science have all proven utterly ineffective when it comes to stopping them.
- Following #2, if you set up a patrol in one park to stop people from cruising/having sex, they will find someplace else to cruise/find sex. Unless a real alternative is set up (which, as far as I can tell, Charlotte doesn't have), they will move from park to park.
- When police have repeatedly arrested people for cruising/having sex in parks, and they say that cruising/having sex in parks is an "on-going issue," that means that arrests don't work when it comes to stopping people from cruising/having sex in parks.
- Sometimes internet commenters, even on cruising sites, exaggerate what they saw. This is why real journalists confirm reports of an activity, especially when their primary source is an anonymous internet comment.
- No one who has actually walked in on the gay sex was interviewed, presumably because none could be found. The story "It's possible that someone will see this!" should be considered weaker than "Someone saw this!" even if the former contains teh gayz having teh butt-sechs.
- No one, not even children, will go blind, go insane, go mute, get hairy palms, take up drugs, be hospitalized, quit school, become gay, go into shock, or die if they accidentally walk in on people having sex.
- Parents aren't any more able to judge others on park usage than non-parents.
- Someone who's entire qual line is "PARENT" can't say it's "my park" any more than any of the men who cruise/have sex there. If this person actually does own the park, that should be included in the story.
I'm not saying that people should be happy with S-E-X in front of the C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N. I'm saying that people should be required to display a normal level of intelligence even after "sex" and "children" have been mentioned.
That assumes, though, that the fear is based on something rational, which is a big assumption.