Bil Browning

Indiana Senate Committee Passes Marriage Discrimination Amendment

Filed By Bil Browning | March 23, 2011 10:30 AM | comments

Filed in: Marriage Equality, Politics
Tags: gay marriage, HJR-6, Indiana statehouse, marriage amendment, marriage equality, same-sex marriage

An Indiana state senate committee passed a marriage discrimination amendment this morning, moving the proposal one step forward to passage. The legislation now goes to the full senate for passage.

The measure passed on a 7-3 vote. Indiana.gifAfter every Fortune 500 company based in Indiana opposed the proposed amendment, prominent Republican and Democrat politicians expressed reservations, the majority of newspapers in the state expressed disdain for it, and public polling showed that most Hoosiers oppose the amendment, Republican legislators still decided to push the measure through.

Similar to Republican actions nationwide, Indiana Republicans won election by claiming they would focus on fiscal and economic issues. Instead, they have focused almost exclusively on social issues like union busting, abortion, and marriage equality. A poll released yesterday showed that the majority of Hoosiers have other priorities than same-sex marriage.

Several years ago, then (and current) Speaker of the House Brian Bosma (R) called a marriage amendment "the most important part of the people's business." Apparently, these hidebound politicians still believe it.

Karen Michelle Schrader | March 23, 2011 10:34 AM

I think it is about time for a NATIONWIDE movement to recall all of these bigots and toss them out on their asses to the streets!

You know I remember in the 80's our nation soared ahead because of the "brain drain" from the rest of the world. Intellectuals, artists, and the LGBT community immigrated here due to our freedom and equality.

I find it sad we may now be facing an exodus, in at least certain areas. If all people are not equal and protected by law, none of us are.

T

Norenville | March 23, 2011 1:02 PM

The will of the wingnuts has spoken. Keep pushing, right wing. I can just as easily be a non-starving artist in Massachusetts. My wife can just as easily save the children of Boston as Indianapolis.

Don Sherfick Don Sherfick | March 23, 2011 2:29 PM

In some ways, this was an act of legislative self-castration by the Indiana General Assembly. Why? Because despite the totally false "sky-is-falling" claims that the "liberal unelected activist judges" (find me just one...) on the Indiana Supreme Court are poised to impose same-sex marriage while everyone is watching Butler emerge from the Sweet Sixteen (a worthy undertaking, by the way), something else is going on. Once upon a time even the proponents said the General Assembly not only could, but should, be able to debate and pass even civil unions. Not any more.......when nobody was looking (at Butler or otherwise) they pulled a switch and changed the language so that this won't be possible. The more Hoosiers realize the full sweep of HJR-6 the better, but it will take education, and persistence.

Something else: While proponents say some 30 states have such amendments, a closer look is revealing: Of those thirty, ten ban only same-sex marriage, but give a continued green light to civil unions/domestic partnerships. When you add that to the 20 states that have no constitutional amendment of any kind, that means that a full 60% of the states (and a much higher percentage of the population) are in states where there is no legislative barrier to civil unions and domestic partnerships. Even Mississippi doesn't go so far as to constitutionally bar them.

Don't give up, Indiana folks. As pissed as I am today, the sun will come up tommorrow.....bet your bottom dollar.

Annette Gross Annette Gross | March 23, 2011 3:27 PM

Oh, I know those Republicans will be out on their asses in a few years. The GLBT community doesn't want them, the immigrants don't want them, women don't want them, workers don't want them, and I DON'T WANT THEM! It might take some time, but things will change - you're right Don. I can't wait for that day. In the meantime, I will try to educate everyone I know (and don't know) about this issue and what it means to our families and the State of Indiana. Angry - you bet I'm angry!!!!!!

rick sutton | March 23, 2011 3:44 PM

We're really trying here, Bil, and your readers have been supportive. Thank you.

It's a rough day. Knowing that our kindred spirits support us, is helpful.

'Cause, well...we've got Annette. Hell hath no fury like a mom scorned.

I'm to tired and sad to be mad just now. Anger comes tomorrow.

Don Sherfick Don Sherfick | March 23, 2011 5:42 PM

I can't emphasize enough that to the maximum extent possible, our lawmakers need to see the real faces on real people their actions are affecting. Unfortunately not everyone feels they can do that (one of our colleagues makes the point that if he/she were to achieve some degree of marriage rights, it would be worthless if being fired the next day were the result), but those who can need to step up to the plate.

If we're not comfortable with making ourselves known and telling our stories, we aren't in a full position to expect those lawmakers who privately say they are with us but are afraid of the consequences to take a leap of faith and tell the usual Right-Wing suspects where they can get off.

Annette Gross Annette Gross | March 23, 2011 7:58 PM

First, I think I made a mistake and accidentally "reported" this site. My mistake and I'm sorry. Second, PFLAG parents intend to speak to the legislators and women's groups to educate them. We will bring photos and hopefully some of us will bring our GLBT children. We want them to see us and know we have names and faces and histories. We will also bring our Indy PFLAG Family Scrapbook with photos and stories. We want them to know that we're advocating for our children and the GLBT community. We want them to know that we're here and we're not going away.p

Bil, I can't find a breakdown of which senators voted which way! My Google-fu is failing, help plz?

Pissed pissed pissed regardless. Let's just keep marching BACKWARDS, Indiana! Maybe I *shouldn't* move back to Indy for a third time after I finish my second (and third? possible double major) degree. Maybe I should just get the F out of Dodge all together.