Jake Weinraub

Bilerico Badger Grad 2011

Filed By Jake Weinraub | May 19, 2011 7:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Living
Tags: graduation, university of wisconsin

Hey Projectors! I wanted you to know that on Sunday I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-MadisonScreen shot 2011-05-19 at 11.59.58 AM.png with a J.B.A. in Strategic Communications and certificates in African Studies, LGBT Studies, and Gender and Women's Studies (check out the extra rainbow tassel flowing off my hat).

I'm writing here to show my appreciation for the Bilerico project editors, contributors, and readers for providing me this venue for skill-building and perspective-gathering as I figure out what's next.

It's been amazing to see how Projectors are engaging with the politics that move them, and to be involved in a community where we can shape one another's work by highlighting amazing organizing, leaving comment critiques (as much as they can sting!), and sharing our personal experiences with queer identity.

My hope for the future is that I can continue to bring my own history into what I do, and consider how my identity shapes what moves me and what might not move others. If I'm not engaging in conversations of privilege, especially as a white person, and not taking direct action around multiple oppressions, I'm just being pointless and poisonous.

As for what's next for me, I'm thinking of moving to LA or New York or San Francisco. I want to be super queer somewhere and create culture and have a ton of sex with smart people. I will be continuing with the Bilerico project as an Associate Editor, and am excited to see what Netroots Nation 2011 is all about mid-June. I'm very lucky.

Love you all! Oh and if anyone knows of any jobs - yeah I'm looking!

Recent Entries Filed under Living:

Congratulations, Jake! Good luck!

Congratulations, Jake! New York might be better for a job right now. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck! :)

Rick Sutton | May 19, 2011 9:36 PM

Congratulations! Top-rate Big Ten institution.

Get out of the midwest. It's toxic, politically at least.

Oh yeah, the governor is an asshole. Purely.

Anthony Carter | May 19, 2011 9:43 PM

Kick butt Jake... the world is waiting!!!!

Congrats, Jake! Keep that energy and optimism and don't let anyone take them from you. One person CAN make a difference.

Congratulations Jake! Embrace life with passion and conviction and avoid the pitfalls of distraction. Most importantly bask in the knowledge life is yours to shape. Have fun and brighten the lives of all you meet.

Congratulations! I'm graduating next year and totally dreading entering the big, bad real world. Haha, good luck with it. Maybe tell me how it is?

Congratulations Jake! What an awesome time to be on job search.

DennisNYC | May 20, 2011 2:37 AM

Congratulations Jake! Oh, if only I were 40 years younger! xoxox

Congrats, another UW grad, super.
My girlfriend got her masters from UW.
Best of luck finding a job in Madtown.

"I want to be super queer somewhere and create culture and have a ton of sex with smart people."

sounds perfect!

congratulations on your grad and best of luck!

Congratulations, Jake, and best wishes in your job search. I must disagree with JohnAGC about the midwest being toxic. Politics all over are currently toxic, and the midwest is not unique in that sense. Find the best job and setting where you can make a difference.

Rick Sutton | May 20, 2011 11:04 AM

Jaime, in the trenchs here in Indiana, I can look from my back porch and see that three of the four states actively chasing GLBT-friendly laws and Planned Parenthood and anything similar: Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin. All previously safe modeerate campgrounds. The Great Lakes must be transmitting hateful messages. Help!

Great congratulations! Knock 'em dead! And uh.. I'm smart! *wink, wink*

Regan DuCasse | May 20, 2011 1:57 PM

Hey Jake! Congratulations! You're welcome to come to Los Angeles. It's pretty crowded up in here though.
Good luck finding somewhere to park!

Congratulations from a fellow UW-Madison alum, class of 19waybeforeyouwereborn. Do come to NYC. Though I did look for a job in Madison, I've never regretted moving here. Good luck!