Karen Ocamb

NYC & DC Terrorism Threat 'Credible;' San Diego Loses Power

Filed By Karen Ocamb | September 09, 2011 9:00 AM | comments

Filed in: Living
Tags: blackout, NYC, power outage, San Diego, Washington D.C.

No sooner had President Obama completed his 30-minute-plus address to Congress on his proposed jobs bill than Homeland Security reporters advised of a SanOnofre-nuclear-pwoer-center--300x240.jpgpossible terrorist threat on the anniversary of 9/11.

The New York Times emailed out this alert:

Counterterrorism officials on Thursday were assessing a new report of a threat of an attack in New York City or Washington using a car or truck bomb, timed to the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, according to several officials briefed on the matter.

In a statement, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, Matt Chandler, called the threat "specific, credible, but unconfirmed." Another official said American intelligence agencies were urgently pursuing leads overseas in an effort to gauge the seriousness of the threat.

"It's in the early stages, and a lot of vetting is being done in other places," the official said.

Meanwhile, the NBC News affiliate in San Diego reported that a massive power outage hit the area, knocking out electricity to nearly 1.4 million customers in the area, as well as parts of Orange County, Palm Springs, Mexico and Arizona.

But, the station reports, the FBI said there was no connection to the terrorism threat. (There has been a heat wave in Los Angeles with temperatures reaching high 90s-to-100 degrees in some areas.)

Meanwhile, however, longtime reporter Jane Wells reported on CNBC that a powerline to the San Onofre nuclear power center had been cut and the plant was offline. Here's a portion of the AP report on that website, which does not mention the allegedly cut powerline.

The San Onofre nuclear power plant in Southern California has shut down because of a massive power outage that's affecting millions in California, Arizona and Mexico.

Charles Coleman, a spokesman for Southern California Edison, said Thursday that the plant went offline at 3:38 p.m. Pacific as it is supposed to do when there is an electrical disturbance.

Coleman says there is no danger to any residents or employees at the plant, but it is not currently generating power.

The larger outage is affecting 500 to 2,000 SoCal Edison customers in southern Orange County and Riverside County.


Recent Entries Filed under Living:

Leave a comment

We want to know your opinion on this issue! While arguing about an opinion or idea is encouraged, personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please be respectful of others.

The editorial team will delete a comment that is off-topic, abusive, exceptionally incoherent, includes a slur or is soliciting and/or advertising. Repeated violations of the policy will result in revocation of your user account. Please keep in mind that this is our online home; ill-mannered house guests will be shown the door.