Bil Browning

Herman Cain Repeats 'Gay Is Choice' Meme

Filed By Bil Browning | October 20, 2011 1:39 PM | comments

Filed in: Politics
Tags: batshit crazy, born this way, gay is a choice, Herman Cain, Think Progressive

Asked by Piers Morgan whether or not he truly thinks being gay is a choice, GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain stood by his previous statements. Unsurprisingly, the guy running for President and attempting to show the country his strong leadership skills didn't flip-flop positions after LGBT people protested that the man is batshit crazy.

Slow news day. What can I say?

(Hat tip to Think Progress for the video)

Annette Gross Annette Gross | October 20, 2011 6:40 PM

So Herman, what about the millions of kids who struggle through junior high and high school - miserable and confused? Who go through depression and torment and bullying? "Yeah, I want to be gay. I want to be shoved into lockers and beaten up. What a great idea. I want people to hate me because of my sexuality. Sounds like fun. Yeah, I think I want to be gay." HERMAN - YOU'RE BATSHIT CRAZY!!!!!

Om Kalthoum | October 20, 2011 7:00 PM

Geez, with a name like Cain, why hasn't he been questioned by reporters about the biblical foundation of racial discrimination?

Still, he has about the same chance as Donald Trump of being elected President of the United States, so who really cares about his beliefs?

You know Bil a lot of lesbian, gays, and bisexuals might get mad at me for this answer but it needs to be said. If being gay or bisexual is a born as condition you are Transgender and definitely not a cisgendered male or female. By Transgendered I mean you are showing a variance in established majority male and female behavior. That variance would be based in biology(born that way) and would most likely be a cross sexed sexual orientation. If your not Transgender then your saying it is a choice. If its a choice that means you don't have to be Lesbian, Gay, or Bisexual and you can choose to be straight. I think in the spirit of Transgender inclusion Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals should be included in the Transgender umbrella. As all of you should know by Transgender inclusion I mean forced into self identifying as Transgender and dropping your Lesbian, gay, and bisexual identities.

Sexual orientation is not transgender. Effemency in males is a transgender characteristic, but does not identify them as transgender. An effeminant gay man can be gay, or he may be transgender. Besides sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, I have come to now believe there is another category of sexual attraction to gender expression. An example is that most straight women are attracted to men, not only to their body, but to their mannerisms. A hunk of a man will still turn off women if he is too effeminant.

So a straight women may or may not be transgender, regardless of what type of clothing she wears. A lesbian may or may not be transgender, regardless of who she is attracted to or how she dresses. Same with straight and gay men.

Only the person can decide if he or she is transgender. Characteristics do not define the person, only describe how they interact in life.

Herman Caine is fucking idiot!

I want to know about his process of CHOOSING TO BE HETEROSEXUAL.

What an ass!

Herman Caine is fucking idiot!

I want to know about his process of CHOOSING TO BE HETEROSEXUAL.

What an ass!

california panda | October 21, 2011 8:01 AM

If he actually believes that sexual orientation is a choice then he has to accept that heterosexuality is also a choice or he risks being shown for the uneducated liar he is. If he doesn't believe it but is using the meme to play to voter concerns then he's morally bankrupt and a hypocrite. Either way he's not fit to be president of this country or any other.

Well, Mr. Cain, I feel about as good about your choice to be a conservative as you do about my choice to be gay.

And by the way, regardless of whether I may not like this or you may not like that, the right to make such choices comes with being an American.

jami_bantry jami_bantry | October 21, 2011 2:04 PM

Cain says he is going by his biblical christian beliefs.

Religion is 100% choice.

Many of us "may not agree" with his choice, but we can respect his choice.

That said, IF (looong shot) he gets elected to the WH, then he better do what his Oath of Office commands him to do: Protect and defend the Constitution of the USA, and continue to respect the choices of Americans; because Americans have a Constitutional Right to Freedom of Expression, so long as it does no harm to anyone else regarding the actions/consequences of those choices/expressions.

Being who you are or what you believe/opine, does NOT harm anyone else (choice or born so) unless you choose to harm others.

If he uses his religious beliefs to stifle/block Freedom of Expression, then he will violate the Constitution and his Oath of Office.

And... the same standards apply to any of the other candidates, from ANY party.

jami

jami_bantry jami_bantry | October 21, 2011 2:04 PM

Cain says he is going by his biblical christian beliefs.

Religion is 100% choice.

Many of us "may not agree" with his choice, but we can respect his choice.

And... the same standards apply to any of the other candidates, from ANY party.

jami

The problem is with his Christian beliefs. If he is a trained preacher he should really know better than to be negative about gay people because the Bible says nothing about homosexual orientation and the negative comments that appear to condemn homosexuality are actually condemning idol worship that uses homosex as a way to gain power with false gods. For Jehovah God the first rule for his chosen people was "Don't worship other gods". The Hebrews got sent into exile and were otherwise punished for doing just that,several times. There was at least one same sex relationship in the Old Testament that had strong sexual overtones. King David loved King Saul's son, Jonathan, "more than any woman". When the two of them met, Jonathan got naked in front of David and King Saul realized that in order to keep his son around he was going to have to let David move into the palace. Yet David, despite a lot of bad things he did (the relationship with Jonathan never being indicated as one of them) was called "a man after God's own heart".

Cain probably knows the stories of both the Old and New Testament yet he interprets them without reference to their context and meaning. If he does not know them, he is probably an untrained preacher. He went to Morehouse but I don't know where he got his theological training if he has any. So the level of the "Christian belief" he is holding to, at least publically shows a lack of depth.

1. When I want to know about Jews, being Jewish and Jewish people, I don't consult a non Jewish, anti Semite to learn.
2. I don't consult men about cramps, periods and child bearing.
3. Cain wouldn't appreciate a segregationist being consulted on the merits of black people.

So why the fuck do anti gay straight men put themselves before the public as experts on all things gay?
I would say as much to Cain, and do to any other straight asshole like him.
What MAKES him even think to give an opinion on something he couldn't POSSIBLY know or understand?
Well WE know the answer, and Cain SHOULD, if he was any kind of DECENT man.

When John Kerry was asked if being gay was a choice during the 2000 debates, he tried to answer the question and it was terrible in it's clumsiness.

MY answer would have been: why ask me, a straight person such a question, while ignoring the MILLIONS of gay people who assert it is NOT a choice. Were both gay and hetero people to compare notes on our respective experience, we'd find that NONE of us can choose our orientation, and shouldn't make it a requirement of being treated rightly, and fairly. Period.
The arrogance and prejudice it takes to decide that a gay person chooses to be gay is infuriating to me.
Especially since a gay person doesn't have any choice to be gay IN PEACE.

Paige Listerud | October 21, 2011 8:12 PM

We hamstring ourselves if all we have for a defense is "born that way." I need a better political meme than biological essentialism to support my choice to be openly bisexual and validate same-sex relationships as much in my life as opposite-sex ones. Without that, I'm defenseless.

I chose to be heterosexual the other day and found out it was more complicated than I thought it would be.

In summary, there was one unhappy lady here in Paris Thursday night.

It is all so silly. I chose to be born this way.

I always find it remarkable that just about no-one is willing to entertain the idea that for some people sexual orientation is changeable and for just as many it is not. It is like all sides agree on one thing - that everyone is the same as everyone else when it comes to changeability!

The recorded experiences of sexual orientation through a transsexual transition strongly suggest that some are heterosexual by choice and others are unalterably heterosexual. Ditto homosexual, androphilic, and gynephilic.

twinkie1cat | October 24, 2011 9:32 PM

Herman Cain benefits by maintaining his position whether he fully believes it or not. He is a Baptist preacher and he would lose his job if he went against that denomination's theology. (I am not sure what denomination of Baptist, but their largest, the Southern Baptists would definitely fire him.) He is also a Republican and some of the state platforms as well as the national platforms has been against gay equality even though they have one arm that is gay, the Log Cabin Republicans. The teaparties are blatantly anti-gay although they don't put it on their signs, only cheer it on at their Faith and Values Coalition meetings. It would be the kiss of death for Cain to say anything less than that being gay was a choice.

The danger in Cain, however, is that is an excellent and convincing preacher with power in his words near those of MLK. He is REAL good. That is going to be a problem. He is not crazy. He is highly intelligent and stays on message well. What I can't figure out is how did he get so blasted conservative growing up in Atlanta in the Civil Rights era. Morehouse was not a college that bred a lot of conservatives.