Bil Browning

Open Thread: Your Theme Song

Filed By Bil Browning | October 24, 2011 3:00 PM | comments

Filed in: Living
Tags: Battle Without Honor or Humanity, Hotei Tomoyasu, life soundtrack, open thread

Over on Facebook this weekend, I asked a question of my friends that spawned several comments. Since it was so much fun over there, I thought I'd throw it up here too to see what Projectors have to say.

If your life had a soundtrack, what would be your theme every time you walk in the room?

My pick? "Battle Without Honor" by Hotei Tomoyasu. You probably know it best from Kill Bill.

Recent Entries Filed under Living:

Linus and Lucy (the Peanuts theme) by the Vince Guaraldi trio.

Ooooh. Good choice! That'd be fun!

I'm partial to Simon and Garfunkel's 'Feelin' Groovy'.

Another great choice, DB. I could live with that one as my theme too.

Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss

Laurie Edwards | October 24, 2011 5:42 PM

I'm not sure. I'm torn between "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha, and "A Time For Us," from Romeo and Juliet. Yeah, I'm sappy.

I've found in my life that emulating Don Quixote is a workable strategy. Go for Man of La Mancha. :)

Korn: Twisted Transitor
I love the begining where it sounds like helo blades cutting the air when your underneth them working.. the 'wheels up,wheels up, wheels up' its all something I'm used to hearing working on aircraft avionics on helicopters for most of my life.
The fact that I'm IS and TG? Just makes me giggle a bit.
But I have an extensive collection for various purposes.
Kenny Loggins 'Danger Zone' is only on my phone to razz my supervisor who's prior US Army and is in fact one of my least likeable tunes simply because its a FlameCat tune. I only like helo's and Light Attack (which is really Navy stuff, fighter jocks are useless in real fights)

Just from your comments here, Gina. I could see "Danger Zone" as YOUR theme song. *grins*

Madonna "Human Nature"... and I'm not sorry, it's human nature, I'm not your b*tch, don't hang your sh*t on me!

From Teabaggers, to brainwashed Fundies, to Fox News, to corporate fat-cat lying 1%-ers, to ineffective Democrats and ignorant/hypocritical Republicans, to jihadist terrorists, etc etc etc...suck on it!

SO many idiots on this planet, this song should tattood on the asses of those millions as rememberance.

Of course, I'm not all anger and vitriol, so I also like Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten", an uplifting and lighter-hearted pop tune reminding me to remember possibility, personal power, and keeping hope for the future.

We'll save the "Unwritten" portion for later. I love your justifications for Madonna! :)

Having had a very interesting life I would choose to have two. "Night on Bald Mountain" for the bad times and Pachelbel's "Canon" for the good.

I think it would be fun to have Pachabell playing too.

Don Sherfick Don Sherfick | October 25, 2011 9:20 AM

Mine would be that old standard "Why After Seventy-Two Years Why Didn't I Know Better Not to Bite Into Hard Candy Last Sunday, Breaking Off a Tooth Crown And Having to Spend Monday Having The Rest Removed and Now Contemplating An Expensive Implant?"

You DO Remember that one, don't you? I don't remember the composer.

Don, important question: Do you prefer the blues version, or the disco version?

The bosom buddies theme song... "I don't need you to worry for me cuz I'm all right, I don't need you to tell me it's time to come home, you know the song... :-)

Brian Rainey | October 25, 2011 11:18 AM

Undeniably, "The Equalizer" theme song. One of the best detective shows EVAH.

"The Pleasure Boys" by Visage.

Movie by The Birthday Massacre. It wouldn't be my theme song, but it would be the song that plays at the end of the movie about me (perhaps at a prom? hehe) and while the credits start to scroll. It's just so dreamy and optimistic but tinged with sadness. Just like me! :)

Wilberforce1 | October 25, 2011 9:10 PM

Maybe Into The Mystic by Van Morrison, or Blitzkreig Bop by the Ramones, or Song Of The Wind by Santana, or Into The Old Man's Shoes by Elton.

Since my life seems mundane and not destined for a Big FInale in the final chapter, I would choose the track "Breathe" from Pink Floyd's classic Dark Side of The Moon album -- although the track Brain Damage would be a close second.

And I've always hoped that at my funeral/memorial service someone would play Mvt. II from Beethoven's 7th as the crowd files in, then at the end as people file out we can play Outta Time by The Rolling Stones.

And sometime during the middle of the service maybe someone will play A Change Is Gonna Come -- not because it is appropriate, but just because Sam Cooke had such sexy, sexy lips.

Oh shit! After listening to it for almost 3 decades, I still didn't get the track names on Dark Side of The Moon right! ... I meant to select Track 3, "Time" instead of Track 1, which includes "Breathe" ... maybe carelessness like this explains why my life is not going platinum ...

Rachel Bellum | October 26, 2011 3:25 AM

I have fought competitively so I often think of how pieces of music would be as a ring entrance song. Over the years I've come up with a few good ones.

A partial list: Rebel, Rebel (Bowie); Superstition (Wonder); Left My Wallet in El Segundo (Tribe Called Quest); Satisfaction and/or Sympathy for the Devil (Stones); Papas Got A Brand New Bag (Brown); What'd I Say (Charles); Whats Going On (gaye); 50ft Queenie or Rub Til It Bleeds (harvey); Make Me Want to Holler (ndegeocello); Cornbread, Fish and Collard Greens (Hamilton); Fuck You! (Green)

Of these I'll go with Rebel, Rebel today.

She Don't Use Jelly -- The Flaming Lips