Last night's Oscars takeaway was Angelina Jolie's leg. While the dress was beautiful, from the red carpet to her awkward pose while announcing the winner of the Best Original and Adapted Screenplay award. She thrust her right leg out, put her hand on her hip and her obviously faked laugh completed the performance. Now her leg has its own Twitter account (duh!) and people are photoshopping her leg into other iconic photos. Here's what Angelina Jolie's leg knew before the show and what you need to know today:
- A new poll by the Des Moines Register shows that 56% of Iowans oppose a proposed marriage amendment to ban currently legal same-sex marriages. Somewhere in NOM world, Maggie Gallagher is killing a kitten.
- February 28 is "National Pancake Day" at IHOP from 7am-10pm. They ask that you make a donation to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals in exchange.
- The top ten Grindr induced psychological maladies includes "Grindrograde amnesia" - the inability to recall that a significant proportion of Grindr users are really not looking to hook up. I'm thinking that's a delusion in itself. I've never had someone message me looking to talk about Angelina Jolie's leg, for example.
- A Utah bill that would allow schools to drop sex ed classes and prohibit those that continue to offer the classes from talking about contraception has moved one step closer to ratification.
- Wilton Manors, Ft. Lauderdale suburb and one of the gayest cities in America, has seen a dramatic increase in the number of people taking their own lives. Residents are killing themselves at three times the national average. Several Bilerico contributors live in the area so maybe they'll pop in to talk about it.
- Marriage equality is officially going back to the ballot in Maine.