No candidate should get the support of any gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender organization if they have pledged to deny equality to our community. Some gay conservatives seem to think otherwise and they need to hear from us loud and clear: no anti-LGBT candidates allowed!
Three of the four leading Republican candidates have staked out decidedly anti-LGBT positions. Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum have each signed a pledge authored by a certified hate group promising to:
- Support an amendment to the US Constitution banning marriage equality for same-sex couples.
- Nominate federal judges who oppose equality for LGBT Americans.
- Return to defending the unconstitutional Defense of Marriage Act in court.
- Establish a presidential commission to initiate McCarthy-style investigations into the LGBT community with the pretext of protecting "religious liberty".
- Meddle with the home rule of District of Columbia residents to attempt to overturn marriage equality in our nation's capitol.
In 2004, Log Cabin Republicans took a principled stand and refused to endorse George W. Bush for his support of a federal marriage amendment alone. These candidates have pledged to go farther than President Bush ever considered. Will Log Cabin Republicans follow its own precedent and refuse to endorse anti-equality politicians?
Recent stories in the media suggest they may actually be willing to overlook the anti-LGBT pledges GOP candidates have taken against our community.
Don't forget - once you've signed the pledge to share it on Facebook and encourage your friends and family to sign as well - we have to send a message that anti-LGBT rhetoric is not acceptable on either side of the aisle.