We have an interesting contest this week that forced me to learn a new vocabulary word - monograph: (A learned treatise on a small area of learning; also: a written account of a single thing)
You can win a set of three monographs from the Queer Film Classics series in this contest. Each volume focuses on a different movie - which "allows writers considerable depth to delve into a particular film." The three films in this set are:
- Death In Venice - Luchino Visconti's lyrical 1971 adaptation of the Thomas Mann novel about a middle-aged heterosexual artist vacationing in Venice who becomes obsessed with a youth staying at the same hotel as a wave of cholera descends upon the city.
- Zero Patience - John Greyson's controversial, funny film musical about the AIDS crisis which combines experimental, camp musical, and documentary aesthetics while refuting the legend of Patient Zero.
- Word Is Out - The groundbreaking 1977 documentary about ordinary gay men and lesbians of different ages, races, and backgrounds not only found a wide audience theatrically, it was broadcast nationwide on public television.
Find out how to win the books after the break.
To win, leave us a comment telling us what your favorite queer film is and why. You can choose what makes the movie queer - so you don't have to stick with mainstream or typical flicks like Brokeback Mountain.
When you do, if you leave the box checked to post your comment on your Facebook page, anyone who comments on your wall in that thread with their favorite movie will also be entered to win. Imagine the fun if your friend actually wins the contest thanks to your introduction to Bilerico! (Please don't go sock your friend in the jaw and demand the books if that happens. That wouldn't be nice at all.)
Here's the other not-so-fine print rules you should know:
- Contest ends on Saturday, March 17 at midnight Eastern time. Winner will be announced on Sunday March 18. If the prize remains unclaimed by Saturday, March 24, a new winner will be picked.
- Winner will be picked arbitrarily by me. Methods of picking a winner could include any of these: most liked, most original reason, we like the same movie, number of replies, or I'll just scroll the screen up and down and randomly pick somebody. (The last one is the most likely.)
- You do not have to purchase anything to win.
- We won't add you to any mailing lists or sell your mailing address to make money either.
- We'll even pay to ship you the prize instead of sending it COD. (That's how generous we are.)
- Current contributors are ineligible to win a prize. You can still comment and join the discussion since it allows your Facebook friends to easily enter tho!
- Only one entry per person. Don't get greedy. (You know we'll do another contest soon.)
Good luck and good mongraphing or whatever. You know you want it.