Boy, using these cute little graphics is harder than it seems when you have to find one for every day! Today's version of What You Need to Know is brought to us by the latest rage to hit coffee shops this year: the Cafe-Mocha-Vodka-Valium-Latte. I'll take two. I need to calmly stay awake right now.
- Today is International Sex Worker Rights Day. How do you celebrate that?
- The Trevor Project commercial aired during Glee's LGBT youth suicide winter finale, resulted in almost ten times the normal volume of phone calls and website visitors for the org.
- Haitians have launched the country's first LGBT rights organization.
- Governor Martin O'Malley signed Maryland's marriage equality bill into law yesterday.
- Five more co-chairs of the Obama re-election campaign have endorsed Freedom To Marry's campaign to include a pro-marriage equality plank in the Democratic Party platform.
- After Haywood County High School Principal Dorothy Bond told LGBT students they were "not on God's path" and would "go to hell" for being gay, Truth Wins Out launched a campaign to contact the school district and express outrage. Within hours Bond resigned her position according to the district's lawyers.
- Ebony magazine features a story this week from former contributor Monica Roberts highlighting the role of African-American transgender people.
- The gravesite services for gay rights hero Dr. Frank Kameny at Congressional Cemetery has been put on hold in deference to Kameny's estate.