C'mon, if Nichelle Nichols stopped by your office, wouldn't you take a picture too? While Obama is our first African-American president, Nichols burst through a lot of barriers with her character, Uhura, on Star Trek. I can't think of a better photo of two important pioneers - albeit from completely different worlds. (Ha! Did you get that joke!? God, I kill me.)
So what's going on in the LGBT universe that you should know? (Ha! Did it again! I've got a future in comedy writing, right?!? Okay. Maybe not.) Here it is:
- A Riverbank, California city councilor was caught fleeing the scene of an accident after driving drunk with his four year old in the car, police found that he'd abandoned his bleeding son in the car. You'd think that would be enough to kill his re-election campaign, but it hasn't. The city has spent almost $70,000 to remove him from office, but had to stop when they ran out of money. No kidding.
- A Fullerton, California high school senior was disqualified from a campus competition after he made a pro-gay comment. Asked where he saw himself in ten years, the kid said he hoped to have found the love of his life and married him. The Superintendent has stepped in, said the guy did nothing wrong, and forced the offending assistant principal to apologize publicly.
- Scientists have discovered a new type of dinosaur in China. The beast was bigger than a T Rex and covered in feathers.
- Did Alaskan opponents of the voted-down Anchorage non-discrimination ordinance violate the state's election laws? There's the chance the measure actually passed once thousands of potentially fraudulent ballots are challenged.
- American Pie actor Jason Biggs wants you to know that, yes, it's really his penis in the upcoming sequel, American Reunion. He made them do a wide shot so you could see his face and his junk in the same scene. Now, I'm a fan of penises, but I'm not sure I really care about Biggs' manhood. I don't do fruit pies' sloppy seconds. It just sounds messy.
- Contributor Adam Bink has penned an op-ed for the Advocate that lays out the case for victory in North Carolina's upcoming marriage amendment vote.
- The Houston Chronicle has fired a reporter for her side job: being a stripper and running the popular "Angry Stripper" anonymous blog.
- Is it possible to have a a premonition that you're about to have deja vu?
- President Obama is sexy and he knows it.