At yesterday's Tea Party rally in Boston, protestors from Occupy Wall Street and Join the Impact MA shouted down Uganda's "Kill the Gays" architect, Scott Lively's, address to the crowd about the dangers of "faggots." During the non-violent culture clash Boston's finest stepped in to rough up the young queers and their supporters. Photographer Paul Weiskel captured this young man getting choked for holding a dangerous object - a pink wig. Here's his account of the incident:
Hi, This is a picture of me. The "pale violet material" I'm holding was a wig I was wearing that a Tea Partier had just knocked off my head. I was asking the tea partier to explain to me why he thought it was okay to knock my wig off ("My hand slipped", he replied sarcastically) when the officer came up and said something along the lines of "okay, take your shit and get out of here" and shoved me a few feet. I turned to him and said "Don't push me". he replied "Don't push you?!" then did this. You can decide yourself if this was deserved or not.
What else do you need to know today? Here it is:
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton cut a rug in Cartagena, Columbia while attending the Summit of the Americas in a bar described as "the perfect place to shake your rump." She did.
- Seven Catholic churches in Seattle have refused to circulate petitions to roll back Washington's new marriage equality law even though their Bishop has requested they help the signature collection drive. The churches say the petitions would be "hurtful and divisive."
- George Washington is the greatest foe Britain has ever faced? Somewhere Napoleon is pouting.
- Freedom to Marry and HRC sent a letter to New York's Bishop Timothy Dolan asking him to disassociate from the National Organization for Marriage over their race-baiting tactics. I'm doubtful he'll do it; how about you?
- Congrats to Unicorn Booty for winning About.com's "Best Gay News Site of 2012" award. We were nominated, but they took home the trophy.
- The vast majority of Latinos support LGBT rights.
- A journalist went undercover at Marcus Bachmann's therapy clinic. She claims the counselor attempted ex-gay therapy with her.
- A small town in Georgia is overrun with lesbian politicians.
- Will San Diego be the first city to name a street after Harvey Milk?