Apparently one of the New England Patriots' tight ends, Rob Gronkowski, would not care if one of his teammates came out of the closet. In a quick interview with Outsports, Gronkowski explained that, "We're teammates so, as long as he's being a good teammate and being respectful and everything, that's cool." Good for him! Gronkowski can now be added to the growing list of LGBT allies in sports. Despite my lacking comprehension of football, it's good to see how the sports world slowly but surely opens up to LGBT fans and athletes. That, plus other non-football tidbits you need to know:
- Hear the story of the first same-sex marriage to happen on a military base? Learn how the couple met and lived under DADT until its repeal.
- Following the brutal murder of Chilean Daniel Zamudio in March, Chile's president Sebastián Piñera signed into law anti-discrimination legislation after being stuck in Congress for seven years, moving the socially conservative nation forward.
- Staying on Chile, Blabbeando interviews Chilean singer Alex Anwandter. The Chilean artist dedicated two songs to Zamudio a week after his death, having heard that he was Zamudio's favorite artist. The interview covers the artist's upcoming New York debut, his music, and how Zamudio's death personally affected him as well as how Chile reacted to his murder.
- Evidence supporting the charge of 'aiding the enemy' has been found by the US government, the prosecution team claims, in the Bradley Manning case. His defense attorney demands the evidence be produced.
- Whatever happened to the gay construction workers and race car drivers we don't really hear about? It's time to start exposing and reforming the the most homophobic industries left in the US.
- A new study reveals how parenting by same-sex couples faces legal obstacles because of DOMA and the disregard of LGBT couples by states' foster care policies.
- A bit of commentary/advice from the New Yorker on what to read and how one stumbles upon new books. How do you discover a good read?
(img src: Rob Gronkowski via Photobucket)