If I had a nickel for every delusional utterance former Saturday Night Live comedian Victoria Jackson spews forth, I could afford to run for the presidency of the United States (Not that I would, despite the proddings of a certain ex.) However, what Ms. Jackson recently said to host Michelangelo Signorile of SiriusXM's OutQ radio could catapult me to Supreme Overlord status.
When asked by Signorile about what she thought of Missouri's Republican U.S. Senate candidate, Rep. Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin, Jackson responded with her own fuzzy math, saying, "How many times do people get pregnant from rape? It's point zero zero one percent. It's a joke." Given that she's read "lots of articles," and happens to be familiar with a bunch of people because, hey, she's 53, Jackson said she hasn't heard of a single female impregnated through rape. Ever.
Then, she dons her lab coat to remind listeners that, "If I got raped, I would have the baby. And if I didn't want to keep it because I had these [mocking tone] horrible nightmares, I would adopt it out ... The DNA of a baby is individual. It's not the mother's DNA. It's not the father's DNA."
Once you're done scratching your head, here's what you need to know:
- Wouldn't it be nice if gay and lesbian couples celebrate their love as openly as married straight couples do? Now two Indiana newlyweds are in the spotlight for opening their wedding reception's first dance to their LGBT friends in attendance.
- It's curtains for Deathtrap at the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center after the estate of the late playwright Ira Levin recoiled at the depiction of the murder mystery's two male leads as gay.
- It might be taboo to wear white after Labor Day, but at Style.com, lesbians are always chic.
- It wasn't a low-carb diet that steered Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney away from picking former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice for veep, but rather an intolerance of Rice's support for reproductive rights and marriage equality.
- Just as she began putting her BA in journalism to use, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin appears out on her ass, again, after FOX News could no longer afford her $1 million price tag.
- Is that a joystick, or are you just happy to see me? Gaymercon, the first convention of its kind to address "LGBT Geek Culture," recently beat its original goal of $25,000 in Kickstarter donations by an epic margin of more than $65,000!
- Opponents of hate crimes legislation argue it unfairly prosecutes criminal motivation instead of the actual crime committed. Now try qualifying Sheriff Lanny North 's rationale for why the arson of a Hocking County, Ohio church that supports LGBT rights isn't a "hate crime" persay, so much as a "revenge crime."
- Some of my friends are trans. If that confuses you, then consult this flowchart, courtesy of Get Some Sonar. (Victoria Jackson graphic via Flickr)