Senator Rand Paul turned tail and ran away last week when confronted by undocumented DREAMers. But the GOP has a "Latino problem" it can't run from, and right-wingers seem determined to make it worse.
Sen. Paul was with fellow Republican Rep. Steve King in Iowa when undocumented DREAMers Erika Andiola and Cesar Vargas confronted King on his immigration stance. King stood his ground, but Paul dropped his burger and scampered away.
Paul later explained to Fox News that he wasn't running away. He just suddenly had somewhere else to be. Right away, obviously.
It's fair to say that Republicans have given up on the Latino vote, whether they realize it or not. Latinos were perhaps the GOP's best chance at siphoning a few votes from Obama's winning coalition. Instead, Republicans are working overtime to alienate Latinos with immigration policies ranging from incoherent, to downright offensive, to good old-fashioned paranoid xenophobia.
- Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Alabama) told radio host Laura Ingraham that Democrats are waging a "war on whites" by advocating immigration reform, courting Latino voters, and "claiming that whites hate everybody else." Brooks doubled down on the "war on whites" in a later interview, accusing Democrats of "dividing America by race," by "soliciting votes of people based on skin color."
- Rep. Brooks also said that it would be "race baiting" for the GOP to court Latinos.
- Rush Limbaugh said the influx of immigrants is part of an orchestrated plan to "wrest control of this country away from the white majority."
- During a conference call with anti-immigration activists, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minnesota) said that undocumented immigrants have declared "war against the American people," and advocated a "a 100 percent tax" on money that undocumented immigrants send home.
- In an interview with Newsmax's Steve Malzberg, Rep. Steve King said that Central American migrants can be "delivered to the address of their choice" to wait for their deportation hearings, and "that might be a crack house, it might be an MS13 house, it might be a cat house."
You can run, but you can't hide from the best of the worst in wingnuttia this week. The rest of the list is after the break.